Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House mate challenges

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Dearg81

You should have discussed this before he moved in OP, he's entitled to take a shower whenever he likes in his own home and I doubt he evens knows it's bothering you.

I would listen to the advice here and buy some ear plugs if it's waking you up but you dont seem to want advice here, you just want people to back up your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Your 7pm is their 4:30am.
    Its all relative to peoples sleeping hours.

You wouldn't say there's anything unreasonable about a shower at 7pm. When he's sleeping.

So no there's nothing unreasonable about his 4:30 shower. When you're sleeping.

Amen to that!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Different folks, different strokes. I'd rather a clean housemate that showered than a smelly one that had bad personal hygiene.

I lived in a small townhouse in Dublin city, there was two of us (not partners).

City people are very active compared to rural people or people that live your type of lifestyle. We have busy lives. There's a good bit of cycling, walking, running for buses, traveling on public transport (in the winter even you'd want to shower after a long bus/dart/luas ride) and evening time fitness activities, training or sedentary activities that don't involve sitting in a car. It still means walking to the public transport stops/depots.

This meant, for me and my housemate who was a hairdresser (hairs, chemicals etc...) that we took at least two or three showers a day each.

First off what is my type of lifestyle? I walk or cycle to work everyday and I'm still fine with showering at night or even every second night at times.

Two to three showers a day is a total obsession nothing else.

Contrary to some peoples imagination If the ops housemate showered before bed he is not going to smell. The person needs to adjust his routine to account for the fact he is house sharing, waking the house with a shower at 4:30am is not acceptable imo.

I don't know how he should approach it, my housemate wakes me some mornings when he is getting ready for work at 7am when I would still be sound asleep otherwise and while Id rather he kept quieter I wouldn't say anything, were it 4:30 am I would find a way of saying something though. On the other side I am up much later than him and find im trying to keep quiet, keep tv volume much lower than I would like etc though lately I've stopped bothering to keep as quiet.

<MOD SNIP >
    Why would you shower after training if cycling to work or after cycling if you were going training? Also people cycling 60km to work are very few and far between.

The vast majority of people who cycle to work where I work wear their work clothes when cycling and certainly don't shower. Not everyone has fallen for the shower obsession happening in the last few years.

Also for the people working in butchers, chippers etc one shower a day after work would be fine.

At the end of the day the point is the op's housemate is living I a houseshare and there has to be compromise in a houseshare, that means not waking everyone at 4:30am With a shower when he could have one before bed.

The person needs to adjust his routine to account for the fact he is house sharing, waking the house with a shower at 4:30am is not acceptable imo.
    No he doesn't unless it was communicated to him before he moved in or until the OP asks him. A grown adult does not have to ask for permission to shower, it's the OP's problem.

• Advertisement

Dearg81 wrote: »
    No he doesn't unless it was communicated to him before he moved in or until the OP asks him. A grown adult does not have to ask for permission to shower, it's the OP's problem.

He wouldn't be asking permission for a shower he would be showing courtesy and compromise to his housemates. Id much rather turn my sound system up really loud when watching TV shows at 1am but I don't as I know it would disturb my housemate. This is a change I had to make as my other housemate stays out very late most nights and the housemate replaced by my new one rarely actually stayed in the house so I could up until recently make as much noise as I wanted even late at night but now I understand that I can't (despite being woken some mornings by pottering around).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

He wouldn't be asking permission for a shower he would be showing courtesy and compromise to his housemates. Id much rather turn my sound system up really loud when watching TV shows at 1am but I don't as I know it would disturb my housemate. This is a change I had to make as my other housemate stays out very late most nights and the housemate replaced by my new one rarely actually stayed in the house.

There is a BIG difference between watching tv or listening to music and bathing before work.

Could you imagine saying to him
    "Hey like can you not shower before work as it wakes me up, you know I make compromises for you too! I'd love to blare techno music all day really loudly but I don't so do me the same and don't wash before work. Cheers"

He doesn't control the sound of the shower, or at what decibel OP wakes up at. The guy is just having a shower before work which happens to wake up OP and he's being branded as some sort of rude, uncourteous housemate. If this is the worse thing about this housemate praise your lucky stars as I am sure most people have experienced FAR FAR worse.

He wouldn't be asking permission for a shower he would be showing courtesy and compromise to his housemates.

He would be doing both. I just think the action is with the OP and not the new guy. There would be no problem if the OP wasn't a light sleeper so the new guy is probably unaware of the problem.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    There is a BIG difference between watching tv or listening to music and bathing before work.

Could you imagine saying to him
    "Hey like can you not shower before work as it wakes me up, you know I make compromises for you too! I'd love to blare techno music all day really loudly but I don't so do me the same and don't wash before work. Cheers"

He doesn't control the sound of the shower, or at what decibel OP wakes up at. The guy is just having a shower before work which happens to wake up OP and he's being branded as some sort of rude, uncourteous housemate. If this is the worse thing about this housemate praise your lucky stars as I am sure most people have experienced FAR FAR worse.

I have been no more or less annoyed times I've been woken by people making noise like talking, music etc than people having showers or getting ready for work very early in the morning. At the end of the day it results in lost sleep and there is a very easy solution called having a shower before bed, it's only being pig headed having a shower at that hour of the morning imo, he should know full well without being told that noise at that hour of the morning regardless of what causes the noise is not acceptable in a houseshare situation. I wouldn't dream of making that level of noise in the middle of the night on a regular basis.
    He would be doing both. I just think the action is with the OP and not the new guy. There would be no problem if the OP wasn't a light sleeper so the new guy is probably unaware of the problem.

I'm not a light sleeper, often takes more than one alarm to wake me but the noise of an else electric shower really gets under your skin and reverberates around the house. It will wake most people particularly at that time of the morning when people aren't used to noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hooked96

Why don't you just sleep with ear plugs in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I have been no more or less annoyed times I've been woken by people making noise like talking, music etc than people having showers or getting ready for work very early in the morning. At the end of the day it results in lost sleep and there is a very easy solution called having a shower before bed, it's only being pig headed having a shower at that hour of the morning imo, he should know full well without being told that noise at that hour of the morning regardless of what causes the noise is not acceptable in a houseshare situation.

Ok that's your opinion. I would argue another easy solution that has been stated many times is for light sleepers to buy ear plugs.

I still believe too many people give out saying it should be about the benefit of the house but only really look for a benefit for themselves. I wouldn't say him showering at night benefits the house, it may suit a light sleeper and at the same time may not suit the person being told to stop showering before work.

I don't normally shower in the morning, sometimes if I have sweated a lot at night or am a bit tired I will have one, but saying that I would have no complaints with a housemate showering before work no matter what time it is and even if it woke me up.

I wouldn't want to tell someone I live with when is and isn't ok for them to wash themselves just like I wouldn't want to live with someone who would tell me similarly.

I've said all I really want to about this so I suppose I leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

You wouldn't do well with this lad , he's a bad housemate.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Ok that's your opinion. I would argue another easy solution that has been stated many times is for light sleepers to buy ear plugs.

If I were in the op's situation ear plugs wouldn't be an option as I fall asleep listening to the radio or watching television every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

bs2014 wrote: »
    Yea but would ye not argue it is inconsiderate. I don't mind people getting up early, say 6 or late at night say 12 showering, but they could be considerate of others and shower at a more reasonable time. Just cuz they work odd hours shouldn't be to the detriment of other people.

What more reasonable time? Like after work or something? I want to go to work straight out of the shower smelling clean and fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Contrary to some peoples imagination If the ops housemate showered before bed he is not going to smell. The person needs to adjust his routine to account for the fact he is house sharing, waking the house with a shower at 4:30am is not acceptable imo.

How do you know he doesn't suffer from night sweats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Off topic posts deleted. It ain't after hours you know ;)

Mod warning Friday afternoon style

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

The OP has already said he spoke to his housemate and he was fine about it...

If I were in the op's situation ear plugs wouldn't be an option as I fall asleep listening to the radio or watching television every night.

Does the TV not wake you back up? :rolleyes:

I dont have a problem with the OP asking him to change shower time btw. I just think it's up to him to approach the new guy and not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Here's what I've learned from this thread:-
    There are 2 kinds of people - those who are easy going and those who aren't.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    Here's what I've learned from this thread:-
    There are 2 kinds of people - those who are easy going and those who aren't.
    :D

Or inconsiderate and considerate

• Advertisement

Does the TV not wake you back up? :rolleyes:

Sleep timer ;)
    I dont have a problem with the OP asking him to change shower time btw. I just think it's up to him to approach the new guy and not the other way around.

Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thread closed as issue resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement