Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA threads used for technical support

Options
  • 17-06-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭

As a long time follower of Bargain Alert forum, I get increasingly frustrated when an item is posted (particularly computer 'stuff') and is a good BA, after some time the thread becomes a technical support forum for that item. This clogs up what was a useful thread and to my mind derails it. Wouldn't it be better if posters are advised to start an appropriate thread in another forum better suited for technical support?

Examples are:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056206048
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057001096
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes I agree. You should bring this up with the local mods for their input.
    Sometimes a thread on a bargain have outlived its "bargain" usefulness and then gets a new life as a discussion/helpdesk thread.

Possibly a lot of the users needing help googled the item and found the thread that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This was discussed in a few of these threads before and I think the consensus, by users, was leave them be. They become a great and useful resource, and a lot of the technical info and advice given within the thread can be helpful in determining if whatever the product is is suitable for the user.

Moved elsewhere I think they would just die a death and so will a lot of boards users knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

What harm is it doing? If it's a bargain alert you're interested in and your tech savvy enough not to need support, well you've found your bargain and need only read the first page.

But if it's a new purchase and you're not terribly sure what/how it works, what better place to ask than a forum with like minded buyers who may ve better informed?

Plus you've the benefit of the more helpful tech savvy buyers chiming in. A community if you will. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Personally I love the tech support that continues in Bargain Alert threads. Take the thread about the Aldi robot vacuum cleaner for example, the thread shows how long people are getting out of the machine, where to buy spare parts, if Aldi will still issue a refund. Plus these type things generally come on the market again and the thread is a great resource for people to decide if it's for them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

I agree with the OP to an extent, but I don't think things should be changed.

It's frustrating when you are buying a device/item for limited use (or you already know the ins and outs) and you may wade through a lot of posts looking for a recent update to the offer.

For example I was buying a tablet as a gift, where it would have limited use. A lot of the device modding posts etc weren't of any use - I just wanted to know where and when I could get it that day for the best price.

Perhaps making sure the OP will be updated (it seems to be in most cases) for the most up-to-date price/shipping info? Or a sub-forum within BA for users who bought the item?

Moving it outside BA wouldn't work as BA seems to get a lot more traffic, I've noticed that the threads on stuff I'm interested (mainly electronics) get a lot more attention in BA than in their "official forums"

• Advertisement
Advertisement