Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rpt hours question

• 17-06-2015 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I have been teaching a while now and am enquiring about a situation in my school. I am familiar with contracts etc. but have not come across this situation personally yet. A friend of mine was kept after his dip to cover 22hrs (2 job shares) last year. The job has now been readvertised this week- is he entitled (I hate using this word!) to the hours? Does he have to reinterview? Can somebody else get the hours just as easily?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

janes1234 wrote: »
    I have been teaching a while now and am enquiring about a situation in my school. I am familiar with contracts etc. but have not come across this situation personally yet. A friend of mine was kept after his dip to cover 22hrs (2 job shares) last year. The job has now been readvertised this week- is he entitled (I hate using this word!) to the hours? Does he have to reinterview? Can somebody else get the hours just as easily?

No, he is not automatically entitled to the job.
    Yes, somebody else can just as easily get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Does anyone have any idea why a RPT job which came up recently has to re-advertised? I would assume that there was little and/or no demand for the position or the standard of candidates wasn't great but really am not sure. Anyone have any clarification?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea why a RPT job which came up recently has to re-advertised? I would assume that there was little and/or no demand for the position or the standard of candidates wasn't great but really am not sure. Anyone have any clarification?

Could be either or. we advertised a job three times last year before a suitable candidate was found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Could be either or. we advertised a job three times last year before a suitable candidate was found

I think I may know details of that job :) If it is the same it was for very few hours.

I think I may know details of that job :) If it is the same it was for very few hours.

And I'd say you're right given your subject. Job finished in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

This may be off topic slightly but I am currently on a 22 hour fixed term contract and I have about 12 teaching hours and the rest of my periods will be taken up with counselling etc (Im a guidance counselor in the school also). I am however wondering am I entitled to any free periods during the week? My co counselor advised me to take three periods a week off for myself but how many am I actually entitled to or would I be expected to have all of my periods filled with either teaching/counselling, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Do you mean you have 12 hours (18 classes) teaching & 10 hours (15 classes) counselling or do you mean that you do counselling etc. in your "free classes" also meaning you go over the 22 hours?

clo1 wrote: »
    This may be off topic slightly but I am currently on a 22 hour fixed term contract and I have about 12 teaching hours and the rest of my periods will be taken up with counselling etc (Im a guidance counselor in the school also). I am however wondering am I entitled to any free periods during the week? My co counselor advised me to take three periods a week off for myself but how many am I actually entitled to or would I be expected to have all of my periods filled with either teaching/counselling, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xheers

12 hours teaching, 10 hours for counselling. Make a timetable of hours that you will be available in your office that students can make an appointment and come and see you. Those slots should total to 10 hours. You won't have 10 hours filled with students every week. Use the slots that students don't book to do whatever paperwork is necessary as the counsellor. Rest of your time is free (obviously you have to offer slots for S&S too). If you don't put a definite shape on it, you will find all of your time taken up with counselling.

Advertisement