Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy housemate

Options
  • 17-06-2015 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

A bit of history.
    3 friends and I moved in together, we're all childhood friends, last year. One of them decided to move out the beginning of this year. We have such a good relationship with our landlord after pretty much renovating the entire house that she didn't mind us going out abs picking someone ourselves.
    We done interviews and picked one bloke who we though would fit in.

Fast forward 3 months and its quite clear this new bloke isn't fitting in. Drinks till all hours, constantly leaves front and back door unlocked, he's messy, he keeps eating and drinking things that don't belong to him, has no privacy boundaries etc. I can go on and on.

Our contact with the landlord is a rolling contract with 2 months notice and this new lad isn't signed on it. He paid his deposit to the lad that moved out.

We have decided among us to throw him out and my question is, is there any guidelines we have to adhere to or any certain amount of notice we have to give?

Any information is brilliant and keeping him isn't an option as we've aired our grievances with him several times with no change.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Nope, he's not a lease holder, kick him out if it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Sounds like he must go, amazing he got through your selection process. Just be careful that he doesn't try any revenge on his leaving (turning on taps, etc), keep an eye on him and have two there on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

He hasn't signed anything so nope. Only thing would be his deposit but even if ye decided to be mean and not give it back to him he has no come back really

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Thanks for the replies folks.

We have another friend that will move in asap and wanted to see if we could have him out the end of this month or would we have to wait till the end of next month to throw him out.

Between posting my original post and now, one of the lads arrived home for lunch to find the new lad in the bar with a drill in his hand getting ready to put up a TV bracket! Despite being told no drilling of walls whatsoever.

Would we have to give him any notice at all or could we go home tonight and tell him he has till the end of this month, 13 days. July 1st will be the beginning of his 4th month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

13 days seems generous enough - do it! Sounds like a liability to be honest! If ye got burgled due to his negligence, that's it. No insurance cover! Kick his sorry a$$ out! (I'm a nice person really) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Oh I've been there believe me.

Throw him out , your within your rights to do so will just make the house a more comfortable place to live if use aren't getting on.

I done the same a good few years ago, interviewed a good few people and we picked a lad we thought was on the same page as us, seemed nice and genuine etc.

Nope....nope...nope....within a week it was very clear he was an alcholic headcase who was OBSESSED with the Haloween movies (Watched them every single night while drinking) , had the full costume and knife to boot which he liked to wear around the house , was wanted by the Gardai for incidents down the country of being seen in said costume going through peoples back gardens and final nail in the coffin he 'accidently' cut his mates throat in the house while drinking one night.

Now that all sounds very out there but is very true , that was the end of house sharing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Again he doesn't have a lease which is partially his fault or any document to say anything. So really tis up to whatever ye decide. be nice and say two weeks or something but don't feel bad over it, if he is the one causing problems..

I

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

And change the locks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Re changing the locks. Pretty sure your landlord will have no problem with this as they sound like they are sound enough - plus you can obviously inform them what a headcase the housemate is. BUT I would run it by them so they know you are thinking of changing the locks, and why. Then when you have changed the locks obviously give your landlord a key for them.

• Advertisement

Lock barrels have been bought and the land Lord has been informed of the change of tenancy.

We are a go for operation chuck-out-the-psycho tomorrow evening.
    While we're on it, one of the lads arrived home for lunch today to find the back door wide open and the house empty. He put it in to the whatsapp group and low and behold the ejit was at fault again.

This lad will be back looking to sub let in the very near future, if any of you are sub letting a room Pm me and I'll give you his name so you can avoid him.

South Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Lock barrels have been bought and the land Lord has been informed of the change of tenancy.

We are a go for operation chuck-out-the-psycho tomorrow evening.
    While we're on it, one of the lads arrived home for lunch today to find the back door wide open and the house empty. He put it in to the whatsapp group and low and behold the ejit was at fault again.

This lad will be back looking to sub let in the very near future, if any of you are sub letting a room Pm me and I'll give you his name so you can avoid him.

South Dublin area.

I would get the guy out straight away and no notice.
    The last straw should be leaving house open.

Have his deposit less what you think his share of bills will be.
    All of you need to be there as well.
    Change locks immediately and change alarm code if you have one.

If you give this guy any notice time in the house then the likelihood is you will find the place thrashed or your stuff nicked.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to be able to suggest a plan for where he goes tomorrow night, in case he's not capable of forming one for himself. (And assuming you don't want him to sleep on your doorstep)

The short term answer is to move his stuff into a parent or friend's garage, and he sleeps in a back-packer hostel or similar. Or he can present to the council's homeless unit, and they'll find an emergency bed for him.

Advertisement