Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-prepared Curry Sauces

Options
  • 17-06-2015 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a brand please for a quick curry... i have tired Knorr but did not like it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

What kind of curry? I like this stuff for a chipper style curry sauce to go over chips and my mam makes a mean 'mammy style' chicken curry with it

0000087_mcdonnells_curry_sauce_300.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Patak is pretty good,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Aldi's Specially Selected curries are really nice and frequently recommended on here. You'll spot them with a little pot of spice mix powder on top of a glass jar of sauce. Fry veg and meat with the powder until browned then pour in the sauce, simmer till cooked through.

I'm quite fond of the tikka masala but they have Rogan Josh, Jalfrezi and I think one other.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm quite fond of the tikka masala but they have Rogan Josh, Jalfrezi and I think one other.
    I seem to remember there are 3 others on top of those, Dopiaza, Balti and Madras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

If you can find an asian shop the goldfish brand curry payste your laughing. I do nibble that from the tub it's so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Yes, it was something like Patak's or Aldi's.... anyone tried Supervalu ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Mr Curry is my absolute favourite. Tastes so much like the Chinese curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Kovu wrote: »
    Mr Curry is my absolute favourite. Tastes so much like the Chinese curries.

Where do you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Yes, it was something like Patak's or Aldi's.... anyone tried Supervalu ones?

The Supervalu supreme range is pretty good I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Where do you get it?

The website is http://www.mrcurry.ie/ - There's a number & email address there to contact if you would like to know suppliers.
    I get it in the Gerry Ellis Fruit & Veg shops around here but I'm sure it's in lots of places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

What kind of curry? I like this stuff for a chipper style curry sauce to go over chips and my mam makes a mean 'mammy style' chicken curry with it

That's pretty much chipper curry sauce alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

hardCopy wrote: »
    Aldi's Specially Selected curries are really nice and frequently recommended on here. You'll spot them with a little pot of spice mix powder on top of a glass jar of sauce. Fry veg and meat with the powder until browned then pour in the sauce, simmer till cooked through.

+1 for these really love them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Noblong wrote: »
    If you can find an asian shop the goldfish brand curry payste your laughing. I do nibble that from the tub it's so good.
    +1, its like typical chinese takeaway curry sauce, in fact a lot better than some places, I like the hot & spicy one, the madras is also good and still a Chinese style one.

My local chinese does a large curry sauce for only €2.60, some in one of those rice trays full to the brim. Its not on the menu so worth trying asking for. Its the same amount you get in a regular jar, and less watered down than many. I have found no good chinese style curry sauce in regular supermarkets, there are several types now.

Tesco have their own, sharwoods & blue dragon, sharwoods was the worst and at 2.70 is dearer than my local chinese and actually a bit smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

best curry by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If you are looking for an Indian curry, Green Saffron is hard to beat. Haven't had their jars yet, I use their sachets and make up the curry myself! Fab! Have made tikka masala and korma and rogan josh

In Tesco/Dunnes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Anyone know if Sharwoods HOT Curry Powder is available in any Irish Supermarkets please?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've seen it in SuperValu before, but not recently in my local one.

I've seen it in SuperValu before, but not recently in my local one.

Thanks, thought it was just me not 'seeing' it on the shelves. Will probably have to ask a visitor from 'over the water' to get some for me :)

iora_rua wrote: »
    Anyone know if Sharwoods HOT Curry Powder is available in any Irish Supermarkets please?

Saw it in dunnes cornelscourt just now, definitely the hot stuff, and had others too 3.75. I think thats the biggest dunnes though, so might not be in small ones.

rubadub wrote: »
    Saw it in dunnes cornelscourt just now, definitely the hot stuff, and had others too 3.75. I think thats the biggest dunnes though, so might not be in small ones.

Great, at least I know it's available SOMEWHERE, so can ask a friend living in that direction to get some for me.

Thanks so much for taking note! icon7.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I've seen and bought them from Supervalu. The best "ready made" curry on the market. Fry off the spices and chicken and add sauce. BOOM heaven
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Noblong wrote: »

Picked this up the other day and it was beautiful, I usually use the McDonnells curry sauce but the Goldfish Curry sauce is my new number one:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I'm shocked that people think McDonnells is a real curry sauce! It's chipper curry which is truly horrible. Just tastes like cornflour.

Chinese style curry is where it's at, am going to an Asian supermarket this morning to look for the Goldfish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sure Goldfish is just a shade better than McDonnells. Both are cheap & nasty (yet tasty) Chinese-style sauces. It's like a Calvita fan slagging off Easy-Singles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Anyone try the mayflower curry I think it's nice, but then I love a lot of curries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm shocked that people think McDonnells is a real curry sauce! It's chipper curry which is truly horrible. Just tastes like cornflour.

Chinese style curry is where it's at, am going to an Asian supermarket this morning to look for the Goldfish one.

Yeah..it's lovely and easy to throw a quick dinner together.

Sure Goldfish is just a shade better than McDonnells. Both are cheap & nasty (yet tasty) Chinese-style sauces. It's like a Calvita fan slagging off Easy-Singles. :)

Really? I don't think McDonnells is Chinesey in the slightest, I always thought of it as Italian chipper curry, introduced because they were losing custom to Chinese chipper vans (back in the 80s when it was normal to get a 3 in 1 tray from a van parked at the side of the road, "sore finger?" the guy would enquire as he wrapped your food, "eh, just salt please, no vinegar").

But yeah sure, each to their own, I'm not a fan of chipper or Indian curry but I do love proper Chinese style curry, never yet found one I like off the shelf though.

Successful trip to a really great local Asian supermarket (never been in it before), and procured some Goldfish Chinese curry sauce. I will report my findings when I get a chance to taste it.

Also got some fresh lemongrass, sweet basil, chilli oil, and a variety of noodles and teas. Fascinating place, if only I knew what half the stuff was!

Really? I don't think McDonnells is Chinesey in the slightest, I always thought of it as Italian chipper curry,
    Exactly, they are completely different.

Sure Goldfish is just a shade better than McDonnells. Both are cheap & nasty (yet tasty) Chinese-style sauces.
    which type of goldfish sauce did you have? Can you recommend an "expensive & non-nasty" chinese curry sauce? Do you even like chinese curry?

I have tried 4 goldfish types. Most other chinese curry sauces I have had were terrible, like sharwoods and blue dragon and a dunnes one.
    Goldfish Chinese curry sauce. I will report my findings when I get a chance to taste it.
    A guy who worked in takeaways was posting recently and had suggestions on what to add to goldfish. MSG was one thing. I add onions and chilli.

• Advertisement

Successful trip to a really great local Asian supermarket (never been in it before), and procured some Goldfish Chinese curry sauce. I will report my findings when I get a chance to taste it.

Finally got round to trying this.

Yeeuch. Really harsh, absolutely LOADED with MSG (I developed a mild headache within minutes), it tastes to me like really cheap nasty Chinese takeaway curry sauce.

I had to bin the rest of it (I made about quarter of the container).

So, although it's very Chinese takeaway-ish, it's not in a good way.

The search continues.

Advertisement