Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Escaped Tiger from Tbilisi zoo flood kills man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Poor man. Stuff of nightmares to have a 50st male white tiger jump out from behind a corner like that, especially considered the animal was in a distressed and hungry state.

I've been following the story in Tbilisi, it seems sadly that many of the escaped bears, lions and tigers have been shot dead at this stage. I thought there would have been better attempts made to recapture them, however then again you have to appreciate the scale of this disaster, and the safety of humans has to be prioritised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

When it's your time, it's your time and it couldn't come anymore freakish that that. Poor guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Eaten alive......not a way for anyone to go. Poor dude!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I spent time hiking in Sumatra. The locals said tiger deaths aren't quick and being attacked by one feels like you're on fire.

I've been following the story in Tbilisi, it seems sadly that many of the escaped bears, lions and tigers have been shot dead at this stage. I thought there would have been better attempts made to recapture them, however then again you have to appreciate the scale of this disaster, and the safety of humans has to be prioritised.

Yeah I thought at first that shooting sounded unnecessary but when ya see the state of the place a few dead animals is rightly quite low on their list of worries.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

on way bk - whts 4 lunch.

send.

beep beep ... 1 message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Saw this . Such a horrible way to go. Rescue operation should have been a lot quicker to insure animals and peoples safety .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yeah I thought at first that shooting sounded unnecessary but when ya see the state of the place a few dead animals is rightly quite low on their list of worries.
    If it eat someone then it's going to be put down. Nobody would want to work around it thinking it had a taste for human blood.

The animals in the videos looked just as shocked as the people. They don't seem to know what to do, you'd think they'd run for countryside but they're as close to domesticated as a wild creature can get.

ScumLord wrote: »
    If it eat someone then it's going to be put down. Nobody would want to work around it thinking it had a taste for human blood.

The animals in the videos looked just as shocked as the people. They don't seem to know what to do, you'd think they'd run for countryside but they're as close to domesticated as a wild creature can get.
    When I said "at first" I meant before this story was reported. Shooting bears etc. on sight before they'd done anything seemed a bit much but then I saw the situation in the city and animal welfare should be low on their priorities even before an animal gets "a taste".

When I said "at first" I meant before this story was reported. Shooting bears etc. on sight before they'd done anything seemed a bit much but then I saw the situation in the city and animal welfare should be low on their priorities even before an animal gets "a taste".
    Yeah, unfortunately there probably wasn't anywhere to keep the animals if the zoo was destroyed. It was the video of the hippo that stood out the most to me. In the wild they're a highly dominant creature afraid of nothing. You'd half think a flood would suit that animal disappearing into the wilderness for a while but it just looks so confused and timid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I spent time hiking in Sumatra. The locals said tiger deaths aren't quick and being attacked by one feels like you're on fire.

Jaysus I could've done without reading that tbh.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Jaysus I could've done without reading that tbh.
    I watched a documentary that didn't pull any punches of lion behaviour. They're not nice creatures at all, especially in fights with eachother. A tactic a group of males would use would be to break the spine of the thing their attacking.

Male lions don't have the efficient finesse of the females. The females are the hunters, the males are pure muscle and aggression. Really scary animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ScumLord wrote: »
    I watched a documentary that didn't pull any punches of lion behaviour. They're not nice creatures at all, especially in fights with eachother. A tactic a group of males would use would be to break the spine of the thing their attacking.

Male lions don't have the efficient finesse of the females. The females are the hunters, the males are pure muscle and aggression. Really scary animals.

Oh yeah a wild dominant male African Lion is an incredibly dangerous animal, remember oftentimes he'll have fought to the death to become the dominant male. As the pride leader his only functions are protection of the pride and servicing females in heat, the females as well as having to hunt raise the children and stand back and let him eat before she or the cubs get anything. There is devastating consequences for any female or weaker male pride member who doesn't follow his rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Here's a picture of a rescue worker helping the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

That is shocking. It's a double tragedy.

Obviously the flooding killed and destroyed much human live and homes. Which is the priority. They don't need something like this on top of it.

The poor man and his family. Obviously humans must come first i actually the they zoo is negligent here. They told the press all animals had been accounted for then later announced some were still at large. People could have been warned etc and a better search operation launched that man might still be alive then!

He was working as a relief worker in a construction factory converted to help flood victims. He was MAULED to death. Horrible!

I am annoyed at the actions of the zoo they announced all animals were accounted for when many were still at large. If they had been honest perhaps there could have been a happier ending both for man and predator.

They tranquilized a hippo and brought it back. If people had been made AWARE the tiger was a large better efforts could have been made.

"Tbilisi streets on Sunday turned into a big-game park after lions, bears, crocodiles and hyenas went on the loose from the flood-damaged zoo, where the rising waters killed bears, lions and other animals. "

People must have been terrified.

"After the tiger mauling, Georgia’s prime minister, Irakli Garibashvili, ordered zookeepers to again count of how many animals remain missing."

They are still not being honest and risking lives.

"Over the past days, as the search expanded for the wandering animals, zoo officials pleaded for authorities to use tranquilizers rather than bullets. But authorities appeared in many instances to have only conventional weapons.

On Wednesday, shortly before officials said the tiger had been shot, Interior Minister Vakhtang Gomelauri said: “We hope that it won’t come to the death of another animal.”"

Well that's lovely and no one loves animals more than me. But I hope no other people get killed.

"“We wanted to sedate” the tiger, he added, “but it was very aggressive, and we had to liquidate it.”"

Painful ....so sad ..obviously humans must come first. Poor man. The zoo should be held accountable for not warning people. It's obviously not the Tiger's fault. They bear some responsibility for the man's death.

They don't seem to be acting responsibly on behalf of the surrounding people or the animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Ya its a pity.Horrible death on the man and that white tiger would be an endangered specie.They must have feck all tranquilizers.

Ya its a pity.Horrible death on the man and that white tiger would be an endangered specie.They must have feck all tranquilizers.

I think they indicated the tiger was too aggressive. Let me make this clear I am an animal rights supporter.

I do think from what I have read they are lacking resources.

But there is a period of time with tranquilizers (a nano second) of danger. And obviously there was a flood that damaged peoples homes etc.

It might have been necessary. People safety has to come first.

Sometimes it's the right thing to do.

But I agree it does seem that they are not using tranquilizers in other cases when they perhaps could.

But you have to remember there has been a flood which has devastated the town. I mean your town just gets flooded people die from that ....then it turns into a jungle.

People are obviously terrified and devastated enough.

Their emergency services are already stretched. I mean people are sleeping in shelters etc.

The man who was killed was a relief worker.

If they can be captured I am all for that. 100%

I really think the zoo did not protect people by not warning them though.

It's a tragedy all round. But people there are still sleeping in shelters etc. You have to think.

I don't know anything about capturing animals. I haven't a clue about what that entails.

The poor man was giving up his time to help victims of the flood. Now he is dead ! The zoo should have alerted people.

In fact the bloody zoo should have had more safety measure for floods and it would not have happened!

It's strange the flood only came to attention after the tiger attacked.

Maybe at least it can bring the flood story to public attention now.

The flood was not just in the zoo.

Advertisement