Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublins "coolest" new rentals 2 bed apartments €3,000 per month

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

3k a month is a nice chunk of change alright, Id imagine some corporations will rent a few of them out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The rent is quite remarkable- but so too is the location.
    You are paying purely for the location in this instance- even retail in this area achieves stratospheric rental rates.
    The only accommodation in D2 at artificially low levels- is the Trinity Halls of Residence- which the college could better leverage by letting on the open market- and building modern purpose built student accommodation elsewhere- but then again, this isn't the place to discuss this...........

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You are paying purely for the location in this instance- even retail in this area achieves stratospheric rental rates.

Agreed it's 100% location.

My first thought was "what about car parking?" :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The apartments themselves look very nice from the photos.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »

They're quite big 100sq metres on average, which is bigger than a lot of three bed semis.

Watch the video the views are amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If your lucky enough to afford one yeah why not .
    but a 3 year stay will only set you back €108,000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The rent is not that much for what you get. 4 people in a 2 bed at 750 each. Seems ok. Not that I could afford it though, but the place looks massive. Unless they are showing the most expensive which is about 5k a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

These are corp lets through and through. I could think of a few companies that push money through Ireland and park directors here for a year or two. They would jump on these in a heartbeat.

awec wrote: »

They look gorgeous- just ran the video clip there.
    They are quite remarkable- and its amazing that they got those modern apartments into the building......
    If I won the lottery- I'd love to buy one- but then again- they're not for sale.......

3k per month = 36k per annum- at say a 5% ROI- infers a price tag in the region of 700k per apartment for these units....... 700k- given the location- and how well they've been done- ok, its a shocking amount of money- but compared to some lesser locations, but desireable property - particularly for the executive market- I think its priced in an appropriate manner........

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They look gorgeous- just ran the video clip there.
    They are quite remarkable- and its amazing that they got those modern apartments into the building......
    If I won the lottery- I'd love to buy one- but then again- they're not for sale.......

3k per month = 36k per annum- at say a 5% ROI- infers a price tag in the region of 700k per apartment for these units....... 700k- given the location- and how well they've been done- ok, its a shocking amount of money- but compared to some lesser locations, but desireable property - particularly for the executive market- I think its priced in an appropriate manner........
    It's good to see apartments built like these rather than the usual bland stuff you get in brand new builds.

There's a communal rooftop garden too, so it seems they are trying to build like a micro community there which I think is fantastic.

If I was capable of spending 3k a month on rent I'd move in to one of those in a heartbeat.

That said, if you can afford 3k a month rent you can probably afford to buy, so as you say these appear to be aimed at the mid-term renter (maybe in Ireland for a few years for work). I definitely think there's a market for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Tow

Nearest neighbour is The Governor, quick run across the road for a cup of tea.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

some company just let 30 or so apartments in the new wykcham point development in dundrum, these will be taken by corporate clients as has been mentioned...

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/tech-firm-takes-27-of-29-units-at-wyckham-point-31146006.html

1,000 square foot isnt bad, but not exactly huge for E3000 per month, even taking into account the quality of finish and location etc...
    If I was capable of spending 3k a month on rent I'd move in to one of those in a heartbeat.
    I went to view the below the other day, if I were looking at spending that kind of money, this blew the ones we are discussing out of the water, if it were in D.2 or 4 it would have gone far quicker and for more money...

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/wyckham-point-wyckham-way-dundrum-dublin/1536772/

The article fails to mention it solely, occupies the entire top floor and has 360 degree views over Dublin, the place is insane! I stayed in a vegas penthouse in MGM Signature last year and bar the views, the one in dundrum blew it to pieces!

Article on it and penthouses in dublin below, the two who did the report were there when I was viewing the property...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-rent-report/prime-penthouse-thatll-be-3700-31295177.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seen these getting built and was on site at an early stage. I knew they would be something special considering the location and building they were housed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Does anybody want to ask if they accept rent supplement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There's a communal rooftop garden too, so it seems they are trying to build like a micro community there which I think is fantastic.
    3k for a communal rooftop... they are very well finished and good location, and a corporate client will probably pay it, but I wouldnt be surprised if you could get better value in docklands...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Gatling wrote: »

Stupid question

Of course they do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The only accommodation in D2 at artificially low levels- is the Trinity Halls of Residence- which the college could better leverage by letting on the open market- and building modern purpose built student accommodation elsewhere- but then again, this isn't the place to discuss this...........

When's the last time you were in one of trinitys halls of residence? :eek:

Except for the disabled rooms, there isn't room to swing a cat in them. A very small communal kitchen and a room with a single bed and about three feet of space from the bed to the wall.
    Very little storage in them as well and God help you if you were tall. Any time I was in them, it made me feel like I was in a prison. Horrible places....although the older ones werent as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

When I was younger I might have liked them. But now I can't think of anything worse than living in the city centre!

When's the last time you were in one of trinitys halls of residence? :eek:

Except for the disabled rooms, there isn't room to swing a cat in them. A very small communal kitchen and a room with a single bed and about three feet of space from the bed to the wall.
    Very little storage in them as well and God help you if you were tall. Any time I was in them, it made me feel like I was in a prison. Horrible places....although the older ones werent as bad.

Yet- they could rent them out privately for a small fortune (with a minimal amount of refurbishment)- and build purpose built- suitable- modern student accommodation elsewhere (which would better suit student's needs). The whole idea of having halls of residence in D2 is bonkers in the modern day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Yet- they could rent them out privately for a small fortune (with a minimal amount of refurbishment)- and build purpose built- suitable- modern student accommodation elsewhere (which would better suit student's needs). The whole idea of having halls of residence in D2 is bonkers in the modern day and age.

To be honest I couldn't see many of them going for much more than what they get already. Goldsmith hall is 600 a month for a bedroom that makes a box room look large. They really are depressing to be in.
    For an extra 33 quid a month, you get this which actually comes with plaster on the walls :D
    http://www.daft.ie/sharing/gallery-quay-pearse-street-grand-canal-dock-dublin/826919/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Gatling wrote: »

You might laugh, but another crash and the developer could be offloading apartments to the local council, aka "The Grange".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

is the Trinity Halls of Residence- which the college could better leverage by letting on the open market- and building modern purpose built student accommodation elsewhere- but then again, this isn't the place to discuss this...........
    I presume you are talking about Goldsmith Hall rather than the limited number of rooms on campus (Botany Bay, New Square etc)?

There's something to be said for having students living on campus, rather than college managers running the campus as a hotel or convention centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I presume the likes of Facebook and Google would rent these out to house there top dogs here.

If I had the money I would rent them or try and buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its good to be back in 2006 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah why would you ever want some student accommodation actually on campus.
    Move the bloody students 10/20 miles away.
    And while you are at it, the whole idea of actually having a college campus slap bang in the city centre is totally bonkers in this modern day and age.
    Lets move the college altogether.
    It might actually work as smoothly as the new childrens hospital.

Oh wait a minute :eek:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeah why would you ever want some student accommodation actually on campus.
    Move the bloody students 10/20 miles away.
    And while you are at it, the whole idea of actually having a college campus slap bang in the city centre is totally bonkers in this modern day and age.
    Lets move the college altogether.
    It might actually work as smoothly as the new childrens hospital.

Oh wait a minute :eek:

It worked for UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Don't forget the live entertainment every night at the College Green taxi rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Or they could give someone who is attending Trinity a unique experience-one they would be able to tell their grandchildren.

Not everything is about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It worked for UCD

Ehh UCD was moved when it was much smaller than it is now and much smaller than what Trinity is now.
    And then there is actually finding a suitable site near some sort of transport links, near some sort of sizable residential settlement which would definitely be more of a huge problem today than when UCD was moved.

Added to that to get such a large greenfield site today would probably involve moving Trinity out past Baldonell, Kilternan, Lucan, Balgriffin.
    that is unless of course you want to dig up the Phoenix park or a few golfcourses.

Rather than shove the students out, why not actaully try and keep more in the city to give it life.
    Ever wander around parts of the city once the workers go home ?

And yes we all know the answer is more high rise.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
Advertisement