Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do with my Nuig mail

• 17-06-2015 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

So iv more or less finished my degree with nuig. what happens to my email account? is there any way I can link a gmail or hotmail account to send and receive mail through? thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Contact computer services immediately and they might be able to allow you rather limited access to your account as after a while most people are locked out of their student account

What happens to my computer account after I leave NUI,Galway?

After Graduation the Campus Accounts of students (both undergraduate and postgraduate) that are not listed as registered with the University in the Student Record System will be disabled. Access to IT resources is directly linked to a student’s status on the Student Records System (Quercus). Students have 50 days after their course end date to register for a new course and maintain access to IT resources including email and Blackboard.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/information-...advicesupport/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Have you heard of this happening...I know the accounts go dormant not inactive.my question is,is there a method to just link an exchange account to it so I can send on behalf of the linked account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

skinny90 wrote: »
    Have you heard of this happening...I know the accounts go dormant not inactive.my question is,is there a method to just link an exchange account to it so I can send on behalf of the linked account

It definitely happens - You lose all access to your @nuigalway.ie account once you are no longer registered as a student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

I know that..it goes dorment..how ever can you use it as an exchange..such as log into a gmail account which is linked to my nuig account and receive and send on behalf of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I know that..it goes dorment..how ever can you use it as an exchange..such as log into a gmail account which is linked to my nuig account and receive and send on behalf of it
    Have you asked ISS?
    I don't see how you will be able to receive/send on behalf of it as, on the link I posted, your account is disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

So iv more or less finished my degree with nuig. what happens to my email account? is there any way I can link a gmail or hotmail account to send and receive mail through? thanks in advance

It gets disabled. You won't be able to access it after a while though not immediately (could be 3 months).
    Contact computer services immediately and they might be able to allow you rather limited access to your account as after a while most people are locked out of their student account

http://www.nuigalway.ie/information-...advicesupport/

+1.
    I suggest you chat to ISS and see if you set up a forwarding of your NUIG email to your personal email account before it's disabled or if setting an auto-responder on your email will fix this for you as a solution.

I know ISS will do this for staff who leave so I assume they will do it for students since almost everyone is on Office 365 now.

This is true. They get disabled, not deleted. Eventually they will get deleted. Don't hold my word for it though.
    Have you asked ISS?
    I don't see how you will be able to receive/send on behalf of it as, on the link I posted, your account is disabled.

To log into Office 365 to receive/send email you need to authenticate which won't work. Sending on behalf of your NUIG email is always possible but you won't receive anything sent to your NUIG email.

Best to chat to ISS and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭wmirl

Set up a forwarding rule in your NUIG email to your personal email. This rule will stay active even after you lose access to your college mail. You won't be able to respond through your college mail unless you use aliases in Gmail (not sure about Hotmail), but that's not through the college servers and exposes your Gmail address, but I'd just respond from your personal email anyway.

Your college email stays active even after you leave, and if at any point you return to NUIG, you'll get your old email address back too.

Advertisement