Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new business

Options
  • 17-06-2015 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

I am starting new business in august. I went into the person and said I won't be ready til august 3rd because I am waiting for paperwork for back to work enterprise allowance to go through. I paid him the 500 euro deposit now he wants me to take shop next week but I said august 3rd . what should I do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Did you sign a lease when you paid the deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

jimmii wrote: »
    Did you sign a lease when you paid the deposit?

No.

That's awkward a verbal agreement doesn't mean much. I wouldn't be surprised if you were the only one who showed any interest initially and so they were happy to wait and now someone else has come in and said they will take it sooner.

Do you even have an email or anything where it has been agreed?

Either you play hard ball and risk losing the place or try come to some sort of compromise so neither of you are losing out too much. If you do come to an agreement get it down on paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

jimmii wrote: »
    That's awkward a verbal agreement doesn't mean much. I wouldn't be surprised if you were the only one who showed any interest initially and so they were happy to wait and now someone else has come in and said they will take it sooner.

Do you even have an email or anything where it has been agreed?

Either you play hard ball and risk losing the place or try come to some sort of compromise so neither of you are losing out too much. If you do come to an agreement get it down on paper.

I pulled out signed nothing but he is refusing to give money back as compensation for waste time

jjll wrote: »
    I pulled out signed nothing but he is refusing to give money back as compensation for waste time

That certainly doesn't seem fair it's them moving the goalposts. Sounds like you should get back your deposit and you both move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

jjll wrote: »

Illegal if no contract existed. Get solicitor to write letter demanding return of deposit.

Next time, do not pay deposit on a commercial property without some written communicaton. Also, make sure you use a solicitor before you sign anything, some leases or letting agreements will have onerous terms that shouldn;t be there and some LLs will try and get them included and then you could possibly be personally liable for a lot of costs.

IMO - lucky escape as this landlord seems to be a bad one.

Advertisement