Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new monitor - suggestions

Options
  • 17-06-2015 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

so i have one of those korean 27 inch 1440p screens, a potalion. it's done me well the past 3 years, i love the size i love the resolution (i really ****ing love the resolution) but it's getting to the point where I just need to give up on all that and move down to a 1080p 24 incher.

there's a bit of backlight bleed on the potalion that i'm just tired of dealing with. on any kind of black screen (quite common in stalker or fallout, or whatever) there's a sort of white haze shining through. blacks just aren't black. they're not grey either, it's just like the contrast is always down too low and I can never sort it out

so i've just given up and im going to get a 24 inch 1080p instead. might keep the 27", might not. who knows, who cares

problem is i don't have a bloody clue. i'm fairly sure i want IPS as I don't give a solid ****e about gaming over 60fps. a hdmi port would be nice as then I could slot the ps3 into it if the mood strikes for a bit of demon souls or what have you

so those are the only two things I know. IPS. hdmi port.
    oh wait, 24 inch. three things. I guess i'd rather 1080p over 1200p too as 1200p just sounds stupid and weird.

as I said I'm looking to change because of poor blacks so I guess good contrast is something I'd be looking for?

anyone got any suggestions?

----

right, apparently the black/glow **** im talking about is fairly common with IPS.
    that sucks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Have a look at VA Monitors. Much higher contrast than IPS, and they don't have the 'glow' of IPS. They do have what's sometimes known as 'black crush' where very similar levels of black can bleed together, but from what I've read overall it's less of a thing.

I'm not too familiar with 24" ones, as I've been looking at a little bigger. Samsung have an interesting 29" 21:9 curved one. 2560x1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whiteramekin

yeah i've been looking online and saw the VA monitors alright. just about every website seems to warn you off them though, especially for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I wouldn't pay any heed. VA these days is pretty damn similar to IPS. Slightly narrower viewing angles (170 or so vs. 178, but who the **** cares at that point?), and similar sorts of things with response times. If you game on IPS, you can game on VA.

I think most of it is stigma of gamers seeing 1ms monitors and going 'MOAR RESPONSIVENESS', then scoffing at a "horrible" 5ms one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whiteramekin

decided to go for a dell u2414h. seems to tick most of the boxes i want

wont be getting it for a couple of weeks so maybe i'll have changed my mind by then again

Advertisement