Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 - should I buy it now or wait ?

Options
  • 17-06-2015 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a console. I never had one before (apart from an odd week when I got PS3 from a friend to play few games), never managed to master playing on the gamepad, but I've read recently I could play with keyboard+mouse on PS4. I read this article on techradar in which they mention some upgrades coming to PS4 and XBOX1. I'm not in a rush to buy the console (I will be playing only from time to time mostly solo not multi) also the games that I will be playing are: Witcher 3, CODs, Battlefields and maybe Uncharted and that Sci-Fi shooter which name I can't remember but it's an exclusive for PS4. So should I wait and see if they release some spec bump or will it not matter in a long run ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Meh spec upgrade is going to either be a hard drive increase which you can do yourself or a mini version which is rubbish anyway imo. 329 in argos at the moment. I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

Meh spec upgrade is going to either be a hard drive increase which you can do yourself or a mini version which is rubbish anyway imo. 329 in argos at the moment. I'd go for it.

Can you link that offer by any chance, thanks.

Think that deal is actually gone now. Argos always have something on for the ps4 and seem to be the best value. Also keep an eye here

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057233086/1

Deals and such.

Think that deal is actually gone now. Argos always have something on for the ps4 and seem to be the best value. Also keep an eye here

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057233086/1

Deals and such.

Thanks, will keep an eye. Couple of more questions.
    - can you put ssd drive in PS4 and is it worth it?
    - anyone have any experience playing keyboard+mouse on PS4 in games such as COD, BF, would experience be same as playing on PC in terms of responsiveness and precission?

omri wrote: »
    - anyone have any experience playing keyboard+mouse on PS4 in games such as COD, BF, would experience be same as playing on PC in terms of responsiveness and precission?

I think you can but the preformance increase is tiny compared to a standard drive so I wouldn't waste my money. And I'd say a 1 Tb + SSD would cost a pretty penny.

No idea about the key boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can put an SSD in the PS4 but the performance gains are not worth the price. It will not take full advantage the way a PC would. I have 1TB Hybrid drive in mine and while yes it is a bit faster than a traditional HDD it's still worth it imo. In hindsight I would have bought and installed a 7200rpm 2TB HDD instead. The drive in the PS4 is a 5400rpm.

I don't think mouse and keyboard is supported at all in any games on the PS4 yet/if ever as it would give too much of an advantage in online shooters over Dual Shock 4 users.

Can you recommend me a HHD?

Did some search and there are controller emulators available that will allow me to hook up keyboard and mouse. As to getting an advantage over the pad players, it's very unlikely I will be playing online due to amount of time I can spare. I'm mostly a single player mode focused but I don't want a PC. So console is my only option, especially now that there are ways to use keyboard and mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Did some search and there are controller emulators available that will allow me to hook up keyboard and mouse. As to getting an advantage over the pad players, it's very unlikely I will be playing online due to amount of time I can spare. I'm mostly a single player mode focused but I don't want a PC. So console is my only option, especially now that there are ways to use keyboard and mouse.

you might want to be careful about using one of those adaptors to allow keyboard and mouse, sometimes that can fall under using a modified controller and can get you a ban.

you might want to be careful about using one of those adaptors to allow keyboard and mouse, sometimes that can fall under using a modified controller and can get you a ban.

What sort of ban ? I only will play single player campaigns anyway. If I buy PS4 on adverts or done deal is warranty based on the receipt and not tied to the person that bought it in the shops ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

What sort of ban ? I only will play single player campaigns anyway. If I buy PS4 on adverts or done deal is warranty based on the receipt and not tied to the person that bought it in the shops ?

they can prevent you from playing online. Its technically modified hardware, against their terms and conditions.

they can prevent you from playing online. Its technically modified hardware, against their terms and conditions.

Thats something I could live with. Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I think I'm going to get one at Christmas - retailers will all be trying to undercut one another so there should be some good deals floating around.

Sony need to put out a 1tb version with improved controller batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭branners69

I think I'm going to get one at Christmas...

But Christmas is 6 months away? Would you want to wait 6 months to save €50?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

branners69 wrote: »
    But Christmas is 6 months away? Would you want to wait 6 months to save €50?

Ah i'm in no rush, Fallout 4 isn't out for a while, plus I like getting shiny presents for myself at Christmas.

Hopefully there'll be a second iteration of the hardware by then.

got a ps4 today, playin cod:aw so happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Make sure you get the PS+ membership and "buy" all free games each month. You don't have to download, once bought they can be downloaded at any time once your membership is still valid.

Good time to get one, especially with the new media player they just rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

500 price drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Depending on the cost of this SKU it may still be cheaper to pick up a 500Gb model in an Argos deal and slap in a 1TB HDD from Amazon.

Haven't seen it priced anywhere. MS announced a 1TB Xbox1 at E3 priced at $400 with the 500GB version dropping officially to $350.

• Advertisement

Hopefully get more info on price in the next couple of weeks. I'm just on the cusp of a purchase but already have a spare 2 Tb hard drive to go into the new PS4 on day one. A 500 price drop would be glorious for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

couple of other reports say the new console will be 10 percent lighter and eight percent more power efficient. And the glossy top cover has been ditched in favour of a new matte finish

http://www.stuff.tv/news/sonys-new-1tb-ps4-will-give-you-double-space-and-double-fun#Xi4bv28MAEHgyk6j.99

peteeeed wrote: »
    couple of other reports say the new console will be 10 percent lighter and eight percent more power efficient. And the glossy top cover has been ditched in favour of a new matte finish

http://www.stuff.tv/news/sonys-new-1tb-ps4-will-give-you-double-space-and-double-fun#Xi4bv28MAEHgyk6j.99

That's fantastic and all but does average consumer care about that? I think not. You pick the thing up probably less than 20 times in its life and the power efficiency means next to nothing. I actually prefer the shiny finish over the matte finish. They made the same move with the PS3s. Kinda strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Two new models were announced today; the article above appears to have combined the two into one. The first is exactly the same as the current model, but has 1 TB of storage, while the second has the other various improvements mentioned. I don't think it has increased storage, strangely enough.

Advertisement