Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up business at home. Advice needed please!

Options
  • 17-06-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm a qualified beautician and I'm looking to set up a business from home. I will have my own insurance (incl public liability).

My concern is being liable for council rates. We are debating between setting it up in a spare bedroom in the house or my husband converting a shed so as keeping it seperate from the house and kids. Conversion would include a bathroom and would be kitted out to a high standard.

I have been on the cork county council website, couldnt find anything about rates for business at home..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Seems to be a grey area. You may need planning permission to change from residential to commercial (or part of). You may then have to pay rates on the commercial part of your property.

I'd speak to your local council. They are usually pretty helpful when you call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aoife0082010

thanks a mill for your reply. yeah its a very grey area. might do mobile beauty for a while to get started and see how that goes

Advertisement