Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bohanabreena reservoir

Options
  • 17-06-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Looking for some info on what dry flies to use on the reservoir,im returning to fly fishing after a few years and am a bit rusty on what is hatching up there at the moment cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Looking for some info on what dry flies to use on the reservoir,im returning to fly fishing after a few years and am a bit rusty on what is hatching up there at the moment cheers.

Well it really depends, but I'd definitely try a mayfly especially around the time, meaby if you go there just before night and see what flies are hatching and meaby give us some detail etc. but if you can at least match the colour and the size that would do, but it really depends, where I'm fishing mayflys and gnatts are doing the trick, now going into June and July hatches of sedges will occur, and also you could try a daddy long legs even though they hatch around September I've go fish of my local river with them as early as May, and I tell you they weren't tiddlers of brownies either

Tight lines

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

One of the houses up there is called Hawthorn! So I guess the hawthorn fly would be worth a shot ;) Though it might be a little late in the season for it.

I haven't fished it in years myself but flies I caught fish on there were:
    • When they're feed on the surface a I found a basic hares ear CDC in the surface worked well - though it looks like they're cruising feeding on midge nymph I never manage to catch on them. But still worth a try if you see them cruising & sipping in the surface.
    • In the evening there are lots of sedges so it's worth trying one then if you're still there at a late hour.
    • Though its more lure fishing than fly, on the lower lake the rainbows will take (or they did for me anyway) a flashy bobby on a short leader and a heavy sinking line.

As I said it's 10+ years since I fished it and maybe their tastes have changed since...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

PS. Forgot the most likely catcher - whenever I spooned a fish from the lower lake it was invariable full of small snails! Less than 5mm in size... so a popular fly to match this food source (and an easy one to tie too!) is the Black & Peacock

Advertisement