Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog first aid kit?

• 17-06-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭

My lurcher/terrier cross tore open the dorsal pads on both front legs today after his walk. The cuts don't look too deep, there are some spots of blood on the floors but nothing too traumatic looking.

We've cleaned the cuts as best we can and wrapped them up in pieces of muslin cloth (it's all I had; thanks, hot cloth cleansing!). I don't know if the makeshift bandages will last the night though! So, would anyone have a recommendation of supplies I could get to make a doggie first aid kit? Or maybe these already exist and I could optimistically pick one up in Dublin city centre tomorrow? All advice welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I always have
    a clean bowl which I use for cleansing any cuts/wounds
    A small bit of TCP for disinfectant to add to the water
    Salt to add to water for cuts on pads for 'footbath'
    Sudocrem for any cuts (or equicream)
    Some bits of gauze/clean cloth for cuts
    Purple (violet) spray for cuts/wounds

This kit is for cats/dogs/hens/horses!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I did a first aid course a few years ago and got a first aid kit included (I also have another pet and human one in the car). I added some gauze, vet wrap and cotton wool pads. It sat in my backpack for about 4 years until last week when one of my dogs cut her paw in the local park.
    At home I always have hydrogen peroxide and a syringe in case I need to induce vomiting - I've had to do this twice (long story). Baby socks from Pennys have non-slip dots - very handy to go over bandages if you have wooden floors and don't want the dog to slip ;)

If you keep an eye out Lidl/Aldi often have bandages in the specials. I think I read on here that Dealz have vet wrap (well the human one but same thing :) ) My vet wrap in the first aid kit was in a plastic bag and seems to have perished so I'll have to check the other kit and make sure it's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My doggie first aid kit has gauze, wrapping, self adhesive wrapping for the bandaging stuff, and it also has:
    Blood stopper - great for dabbing on ear tips if they get cut or caught in brambles.
    Hibiscrub
    Tea tree skin cream for itches
    Petkin itch stick - it's like a deodorant stick with witch hazel and aloe vera, great for dogs that lick their paws.
    Digital Thermometer
    Tweezers
    Ear cleaner
    Cotton wool pads
    Booties in case of cut pads.
    Soft muzzle for when you're applying any of the above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

^ I'be most of that stuff too.. This thread has made me realize I need to collect everything and put in in ONE box - i've everything scattered all over the place - booties upstairs, muzzle in the shed etc etc :p

Advertisement