Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Any suggestions

Options
  • 17-06-2015 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi, hope ye can give me a hand with a new build.

Background

Have built all my previous 3 PCs so fairly comfortable in that area. Although it was 4 years since I built the last one. Looking at putting together a very good spec PC.
    The use of the new build will be primarily split between Flight Sim(FSX and all the heavy use scenery add-ons) and high end gaming BF4, GTA etc. Straight way I recognize that FSX is CPU heavy and cant access multiple cores while the high end gaming requires a very good graphics card and large amounts of memory.

As a plus I don't need many extra like monitors and peripherals.

1. What is your budget? [€1200]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming GTA, BF4/Flight Sim FSX with all the add ons airports, scenery REX/Internet/Some photo editing

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Will need new hard drives and SSD but have everything else

5. Do you need a monitor? [No] BUT would like system to be able to feed 3 20"+ monitors

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [n/a]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [2x 1920x1080] [May add a third monitor]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? NO

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes BUT would like to get to know the system first]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In the next 2 weeks]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [No]

Thanks for reading and giving any suggestions.

Regards

Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4690k €230
    Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 €30
    250gb SSD €85
    120gb SSD €60
    2tb HDD €80
    Z97 Board €90
    GTX 970 €350 or R9 290 €300
    BeQuiet System Power L8 500W €60
    Nanoxia DS3 €70
    8gb RAM €50

Total is €1105 roughly.

4690K overclocked is really as good as it gets for FSX, will be a great gaming CPU anyways. 970 or 290 are self explanatory. One SSD for OS, one for games. Z97 and cooler as you'll be overclocking to get most from FSX, mightn't need to however. 500W is loads. 8gb RAM is loads.

Any Q's, ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Everything makes sense just one question, would it be worth if I went for an I7 cpu and 16gb ram just better running of the modern games and possible some future proofing.
    I know it would add on another 150e but just wondering!!
    Regs

Liam

Futurproofing PCs rarely works to your advantage. The i7 will over no advantages for regular gaming, it will for FSX but the i5 shouldn't have any problems with it regardless.

8gb of RAM is already futurproofing, there's no games that will use 8gb at the minute. Open to correction there but very few anyways. The board has 4 RAM slots, so get 2x4gb sticks, if in future you need to add more you'll have room to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Stick with 8gb, as games don't usually use more than 6Gb, such as Arma 3 or GTA V on Max, and only on load screens.
    IMO, an SSD for games is pointless when games like GTA V are 60Gb, and your better off just buying 1Tb HD for storage and other stuff.
    DigitalSolitude has a good point on the i5, as the i7's hyper-threading won't kick on very often in gaming applications or FSX. However, for €270, the Intel i5 5665 Broadwell offers 15% more performance than the i5 4690k.
    If you want some future proofing as such, the AMD 300 series was announced today with a new architecture called Fiji, so the R9 390 which has a MSRP of €345 might be a better option, especially when it beats all other cards for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

An SSD will make Windows boot faster and generally snappier on all interactions. But you only need a 120GB SSD for windows + installed apps. You can get a bigger one if you want to install games on it too for faster load times (it won't help your frame rates at all).

I wouldn't get two SSDs, there's really no point. If you want more space on your SSD, get a single bigger one - they are cheaper per GB of storage than two smaller ones and bigger SSDs are also faster too.

• Advertisement

I'd go two smaller ones for ease of use, that's what I'm doing now, saves having to piss around with partitioning but yeah 1 500gb will be cheaper.

Your own choice OP

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

I would go on www.pcpartpicker.com and check out builds people have there, it's great because people explain the process, rate the individual components and provide lots of photos while other users comment and make suggestions or give their approval. Found it way better for visualizing and configuring a build than Hardwareversand. If you want to, you can always buy from there once you've sorted it out in your head at PC Part Picker.

If you have any components nailed down, you can search for builds that use just that, or even builds that use more than one or all of your preferred components. That way you can read the owner's summary and the feedback in the comments to help you figure out if that's the right build for you. I searched for my case to see what people pair with it, and then by processor to see what motherboards, etc. go well with it. Also some great builds on there that work great and look spiffy.

Helped me figure out at least 4 great builds :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

Glad I waited a while before ordering of HW...........

I priced the components below of Komplet (90%) and Elara (10%)

Processor i5 4690 239
    Motherboard ASRock Z97X Killer 146.65
    Graphics Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5T OC 389
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO  30
    SSD 1 Samsung 850 EVO series 250GB 117
    Hard Drive 2 Western Digital Blue - 1TB 60
    Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX FURY Blue 16GB - PC3-12800 - DIMM 109

Total 1090

Still missing a PSU, any reccomendations or comments to make. All help welcome

Regs

Liam

That CPU can't be overclocked and the motherboard is a bit OTT, you shouldn't need anything over €100 for it. Maybe try Amazon for those components if they're expensive from elara or komplett

For a PSU, a 500w BeQuiet or Corsair will do, shouldn't be more than 60-70 euro

Advertisement