Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best IPA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Black's of Kinsale Rocket Ship IPA

4 for €10 in Dunnes...me like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Black's of Kinsale Rocket Ship IPA

4 for €10 in Dunnes...me like :D

I'm very fond of their KPA (not sure if it qualifies as an IPA?) - they usually have it in either bottles or cans in Drink Store in Stoneybatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Guinness releasing a Nitro IPA - 40IBU which is at the extreme low point on the BVCP definition of an English or American IPA.
    Will give it a go but it screams Blandness much like everything else from that brewery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hooker is not an IPA nor does it claim to be

Fair enough. It does call itself an Irish Pale Ale.
    Which is to me - a non-expert on all things beer - close enough in terms of initials and of general taste to warrant a passing mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Naparbier - Aker IPA & Aotearoa (really hoppy pilsner)
    Brooklyn Blast is also a great beer.
    Siren - Soundwave IPA
    Weird Beard - Mariana Trench

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

willabur wrote: »
    Guinness releasing a Nitro IPA
    US-only, though. They release loads of limited edition beers in the States that we never see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

A super interesting one (yet extremely difficult to find) is Stone's Dayman coffee IPA. If you ever see it, buy it! From anywhere in the world. I couldn't get enough of the Porterhouse Hop Head when I was home last. Its just too easy to drink (although I say that about most IPAs :P).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

willabur wrote: »
    Guinness releasing a Nitro IPA - 40IBU which is at the extreme low point on the BVCP definition of an English or American IPA.
    Will give it a go but it screams Blandness much like everything else from that brewery

Interesting, haven't heard about that, when is it happening?

when is it happening?
    They haven't made any announcement. US law requires labels to be published on a government database before the product is released. Beer obsessives trawl the database for news of upcoming releases before the brewery announces them and that's where this was found.

There's no actual obligation on the brewery to ever make or release a beer they've registered a label for. When Stone got annoyed by geeks posting their prospective labels before they announced the beers, they registered this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Was at a blind IPA tasting during the week, Aker and Odell's were rated highest, Full Sail was bottom and we were in a GB pub :-)

Was at a blind IPA tasting during the week, Aker and Odell's were rated highest, Full Sail was bottom and we were in a GB pub :-)

Was Foam and Fury part of the tasting? Full sail is pretty unremarkable as far as IPAs go imo. It's funny they are from same brewers yet one is in top tier of double IPAs and other is in bottom tier of IPAs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Odells is a fantastic beer.

I'm not surprised the irish beer came bottom tbh. I never drink American first when it comes to ipa selections. It always outshines everything. Probably a hop freshness thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Dragging up an old thread instead of starting a new one...

Same as the OP, I'm am interested in hearing about some of your favourite IPAs.

Looking for suggestions for a few bottles for tonight.

I like having a few so try to keep the APV under 6% if possible.

When I first tried Founders All Day IPA I thought it was full of flavour but I had some a few weeks ago and thought it was tasteless, maybe my pallet is changing.

I had 8 degrees Citra last week and thought it was nice but would have liking a little bit more of a hoppy taste to it.

Had a really nice draft IPA in The Back Page in Phibsboro a few weeks ago, can't remember the name of it, the tap was blue that's all I remember.. :)

Had a few Bru IPA last night but they weren't as good as others I've tried.

I think my taste preference is American style IPAs but as mentioned above would love some suggestions for a few for later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Dragging up an old thread instead of starting a new one...

Same as the OP, I'm am interested in hearing about some of your favourite IPAs.

Looking for suggestions for a few bottles for tonight.

I like having a few so try to keep the APV under 6% if possible.

When I first tried Founders All Day IPA I thought it was full of flavour but I had some a few weeks ago and thought it was tasteless, maybe my pallet is changing.

I had 8 degrees Citra last week and thought it was nice but would have liking a little bit more of a hoppy taste to it.

Had a really nice draft IPA in The Back Page in Phibsboro a few weeks ago, can't remember the name of it, the tap was blue that's all I remember.. :)

I think my taste preference is American style IPAs but as mentioned above would love some suggestions for a few for later...

Try Liberty Ale by Anchor. It's 6.2 %

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I like Poachers pale ale, and Wicklow wolf elevation. It's always handy if they are easily available too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I prefer the bru "darkside" to the "ipa".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭covey09

McGargles Francis' Big Bangin' IPA (yeah i hate their branding too ok). But its actually a decent beer. love the simcoe in this beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Best Irish IPA is usually the latest Whiplash offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Favourite IPA i ever had is probably Super Duper Ripe by Great Notion
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/41869/294810/

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote:
    My current favourite.

Where would I find this in Dublin

Not sure to be honest, i’m based in Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Matching Powder
    Smithwicks
    The regular white hag one
    High Viz

Each a different strength in taste to suit the particular mood at the time, but if I could have only one it'd be the White Hag as it's middle of the road.

_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Scraggy bay everyday.

RasTa wrote: »
    Scraggy bay everyday.

Just had a bottle of this last night and it really is good. Kinnegar usually are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

My favourite ipa is Northern Monk's Heathen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭davegilly

Killarney Scarlet Pimpernel IPA is one of my favourites

RasTa wrote:
    Scraggy bay everyday.

Having one of them right now. It's nice but doesn't have that distinct IPA flavour I'm chasing. Had a couple of Beaverstown American Pale Ale last night and that was really nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So many to choose from but Founders Centennial is my go to IPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Having one of them right now. It's nice but doesn't have that distinct IPA flavour I'm chasing. Had a couple of Beaverstown American Pale Ale last night and that was really nice

Think Beavertown is cheaper now back home but it was more expensive for a 330ml of Gamma then Scraggy back in my day.

Prefer the balance of Scraggy. I noticed I posted in this thread in 2015 and went with Jai Alai, love to try that again now to see where the pallet has adjusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You possibly won't. I'm not sure anyone is importing it. I've had it fresh in the US, and while it's good, there is better. Melvin beers are starting to appear, and their IPAs are generally better, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

BaZmO* wrote: »

Have you ever had Bell’s Two Hearted? All Centeniall, also. Excellent beer, probbaly hard to find in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Ipso wrote: »
    BaZmO* wrote: »

Have you ever had Bell’s Two Hearted? All Centeniall, also. Excellent beer, probbaly hard to find in Ireland.
    Bells is nice, a bit too much caramel in it for me though. I've never seen it in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Almost any beer by Beavertown is great. Lupoloid is A1 for me.
    Trouble brewing consistently produce great IPA's.
    Whiplash Rollover is very nice.
    I enjoy Brewdog Elvisjuice now and again.

Molloys on Francis street have a great selection of beers.

Odells IPA. My first craft beer, fresh cans around at the minute. The BB date is 120 days after canning.

Odells IPA. My first craft beer, fresh cans around at the minute. The BB date is 120 days after canning.

What off license has these?

What off license has these?
    Blackrock Cellar

In the 4-for-€10 at Stephen Street News too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

BeerNut wrote:
    In the 4-for-€10 at Stephen Street News too.

Same with drink store !! Although drink store don't have fresh original IPA . They have the fresh rupture IPA instead. Very very good beer too !!

• Advertisement

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/2093/

Another exceptional IPA I tasted in last few months.

These 8.5% and 9% beers you lads are posting, what are we talking here, two or three bottles and thats it or how do you drink them?

I like having 5,6,7+ beers depending on the occasion so never consider beers of that ABV as it would be curtains after 3. What am I missing?

These 8.5% and 9% beers you lads are posting, what are we talking here, two or three bottles and thats it or how do you drink them?

I like having 5,6,7+ beers depending on the occasion so never consider beers of that ABV as it would be curtains after 3. What am I missing?

Something like 90 minute IPA, two max in an evening very slowly drank with nothing else. The 120 minute IPA by Dogfish Head Brewing is 18%!!!

Not big into >7% ones myself, however there are exceptions. However the one I mentioned is 11%.... optimal serving size for that would be a glass. As that beer has never ended up in cans/bottles, that's also the most likely serving size!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The High Viz is the only >6% I like.

Had a few Odell's IPA this evening. Really nice beer, up there with the best I've had

• Advertisement

Had a few Odell's IPA this evening. Really nice beer, up there with the best I've had
    I went through a good few of these too. The 4 for 10 deal everywhere is too good to pass up.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Big Banging IPA & Laguinatas Lil Sumpin Sumpin for me :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not an IPA but I'm really loving Whiplash, "Sunshine Under Ground" Pale Ale. Really good, 5.4% very drinkable though you probably wouldn't have much more than 2.

They describe it as Lemon Smoothie Pale Ale, which just about sums it up. They have it on draft in Bull&Castle, Molloys have it in cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Its harder to give just one and I tend to vary the %ABV based on my mood. I find the Irish Brewed IPAs are far fresher than the imports so will generally stick to them.

<4% - Whiplash Rollover 3.8%
    4-5% - White Hag Little Fawn (4.2%) & O’Brother Brewing Dreamcatcher (4.5%)
    5-6% - Kinnegar Scraggy Bay (5.3%)
    6-7% - Kinnegar Big Bunny
    7-8% - O’Brother Brewing The Rainmaker
    8% + - Whiplash – Surrender to the Void especially but any of their Double IPAs are generally fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

First taste, based off this thread. Lovely, if not a bit dangerously drinkable!

• Advertisement
Advertisement