Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tibet adventure- G Adventure

Options
  • 17-06-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Any one ever do the Beijing to Lhasa tour with gadventures before please. It is called Tibet Adventure
    Am a one thirty year plus female ... Interested in small group travel. Read very mixed reviews about G adventures. Any advice please.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You'll always gets mixed reviews about them as lots of people do them and realise being ferried around is annoying and you don't have freedom to explore etc. Also others will love it and like not having the hassle.
    I've heard it varies depending on who is the guide and who is on the tour. But in general G is one of the biggest companies doing those kind of tours so I'd go for it if that's what you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I did this exact tour last year. What do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Wow! Thanks for post. I'm thinking of October ... Can you tell me anything please about the tour company... Were they safe/organised/well informed guides... What's the itinery like.. Is it action packed... Food/water fairly clean? Anything really that you can think of please... I'm interested in the monasteries of Tibet and base camp . Thank you.

The tour company is important as they will have to sort everything out for you. Have you booked it yet?
    Basicly everything was fine. You will have a great tour guide in Drugal. Food was good, water was clean, accommodation better then expected, maybe apart from the base camp but what can you do. I did feel a bit tired though. The altitude made me very fatigued all the time, you kinda get used to it but there are some long days travelling and after a while all the monstrosities look the same.

Also, the drivers were a bit mixed and a few times I did not feel safe. You will understand what I mean when you are going over a pass. The train was an experience lol. Good that I did it but man I was glad it was done and not something I would like to do again. Beijing was a good spot but was there a few days before myself checking things out.

Its a great tour tbh with so many different vistas and the like but I was disappointing I was not able to get out more. Even though you are in this big vast landscape you are really confined to the van and stopping places taking photos. There is no going off the beaten track, one is not allowed as its Tibet and you are a western.
    I would love to go back and do West Tibet, maybe do some camping and the like, be a bit more free.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Thanks a mil for the reply and detailed info. Unfortunately all tour companies based from Ireland whom I'd book with have postponed their tours until April 2016. Will wait til then. Cheers again for the info

• Advertisement

Yes, you are better off booking this bang in the middle of the summer like July/August.
    The Chinese government have been known to cancel all permits for westerns at a moments notice even though people have have booked legitimate flights and tours.

Advertisement