Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on St Mullins

Options
  • 17-06-2015 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Good evening folks,

Hoping to bring my young sons fishing soon and I want to bring them to a big river with plenty of fish, wondering does anyone have advice on baits etc for st Mullins, earth worms? Dung worms or maggots? Anything else ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I havnt actually fished in st mullins yet but it's a popular fishing spot.

Based on the rest of the barrow, your likely to have the following species

perch
    pike
    roach
    rudd
    breem
    Dace
    Eels

You are too late for the shad i'm afraid.

Usual methods for coarse fish, spinners for perch and pike, maggots wont fail for the rest, sweetcorn can entice alot from the barrow too.

If you are determined to get him a fish, find a quiet spot and bait it the night before (somewhere with very slow/still water) - you can find pools like this in various locations, just learn to look for trees or bushes that come into the water or other features. Look for features also, anything, a stream entering the river, a wall, a boat anything slightly unusual will gather fish. Dont bait in strong flowing water, it will just float away!

If you want to learn more about baiting water watch this (if you can listen to graham as he is at his worst in this vid but gives great tips)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wiseoldelf

Just to update, drove up on Saturday, used compost worms, caught 1 Bream, 4 tiny flatfish and 1 eel...

Prevailing area wasn't an option as it is a 40 minutes drive from south Wexford

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Prevailing or prebaiting??

I forgot about worms I havnt used a worm in years ha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wiseoldelf

ardinn wrote: »
    Prevailing or prebaiting??

I forgot about worms I havnt used a worm in years ha!!

Sorry prebaiting, dam auto correct..

Just to note loads of trout by the narrow bridge by the old mill, just weren't biting the worms, will try maggots with them, have rediscover my freshwater fishing love... Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 32 buzzardflute

Sorry for bringing up a dead thread, was searching about trout fishing on the lower barrow, is there any places on the lower river suitable to fly fish?

• Advertisement
Advertisement