Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build and thermal paste

Options
  • 17-06-2015 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

So I'm doing a build on Saturday. First time, bit nervous. So the build guides I've been looking at do a test step outside the case to make sure everything can run, using the cooler that comes with the Intel processor. Then they use isopropyl alcohol to clean the chip of thermal paste before installing the motherboard into the case and then the new cooler. Much as I intend to do.

I've heard getting isopropyl alcohol can be a bit of a pain. And I'm looking for it at short notice. Is there any way to clean the processor without isopropyl alcohol? Anybody have any suggestions or should I hold off?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't bother with the test outside the case, or test it straight up with the new cooler. Don't know of any substitutes for isopropyl, you could ask the local chemist and see when the soonest they can have it in for you, and keep the Intel cooler in the mean time

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Butapropanol is a more potent cleanser, however, unless you want to melt your new core, I'd reccommend steering clear.
    Why not test it with the new cooler, like DS said above?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vade

If you have a Maplins near you they tend to stock TIM cleaner, hell if you're in Cork I have some you can have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Unfortunately Maplins shut down here. Shame. Was a great shop. Yeah, I guess I could test it with the new cooler. That would make sense!

Advertisement