Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know anyone left everything to follow their dream?

• 18-06-2015 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

I met a guy in Sumatra who was divorced. He went through a series break ups and getting back together with his wife until he decided to call it quits. He then decided to live out his dream to see 40 natural wonders he always wanted to see. Places such as Angel Falls or Lake Toba in Sumatra. He spent half of his life savings to get to these places but he was offered a new job working for Trailfinders. He said that at the age of 45 he was genuinely happy for the first time in his life.

Amazing story. Another friend did foundation maths in school and went back to study engineering as a mature student. Now works in biomedical engineering.

People like that give me hope that it's never to late to do exactly what you want to do in life. Have you ever completely changed direction in life to pursue what makes you happy? Any stories about anyone else doing it? I like stories :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I met a guy in Sumatra who was divorced. He went through a series break ups and getting back together with his wife until he decided to call it quits. He then decided to live out his dream to see 40 natural wonders he always wanted to see. Places such as Angel Falls or Lake Toba in Sumatra. He spent half of his life savings to get to these places but he was offered a new job working for Trailfinders. He said that at the age of 45 he was genuinely happy for the first time in his life.

Amazing story. Another friend did foundation maths in school and went back to study engineering as a mature student. Now works in biomedical engineering.

People like that give me hope that it's never to late to do exactly what you want to do in life. Have you ever completely changed direction in life to pursue what makes you happy? Any stories about anyone else doing it? I like stories :)
    outliers
    google outliers

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Yeah a guy called Ricky Lambert. he had it all - the team, job by the sea and his performances were impressive.

He left it all to follow his dream and move to Liverpool. Not sure it was the best idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Oh gaaaawwwwdddd boring!

My dreams involve bondage and whips...wanna play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Oh gaaaawwwwdddd boring!

My dreams involve bondage and whips...wanna play?

My ex was into that so no thanks. She didn't give me any warning that she was either :(

My ex was into that so no thanks. She didn't give me any warning that she was either :(

If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for me. :)

Thanks for understanding XXXO

Thanks for understanding XXXO

I feel our friendship has grown closer.

I know lots of people. Infact most of my friends at different points.

I have done it myself for a period of time. I studied drama.

Time to dream new dreams :-) Then make them happen!

Dreams change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Chris McCandless: the film Into The Wild was made about him.

Some say he was selfish. Decide for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I know lots of people. Infact most of my friends at different points.

I have done it myself for a period of time. I studied drama.

Time to dream new dreams :-) Then make them happen!

Dreams change.

Dreams, sure... But what about destiny?

Some people think they were born to do a certain thing.

Chasing the rainbow is the best part. (Sounds like a skittles advert) lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Sure. All of my friends. Tattoo artists, painters, piercers, graffiti writers, degrees masters and phds in all sorts of worthy but useless ****, musicians and illustrators.

This kind of hip behaviour is also known as being a waster. Depends on your point of view.

Dreams, sure... But what about destiny?

Some people think they were born to do a certain thing.

Chasing the rainbow is the best part. (Sounds like a skittles advert) lol

No, I am classically minded. I learnt to play the violin. I learnt to dance. But practice brought me to a certain point and lack of practice means I am by far far less proficient than I used to be.

Maria Callas said it's not enough to have a beautiful voice.You must BREAK that voice to make it serve you.

I did not get into the first drama course I wanted. I had to do a different one first.

I think you increase the odds if you keep trying. But if it were to be pre-destined it would mean you actually learnt nothing and were not proficient in your craft.
    Say you were gifted the perfect voice but knew nothing about singing. It shows a lack of love for music and respect.

Respect your dreams.

And do you know sometimes when the odds are stacked against you then you can overcome them because you have worked hard. And sometimes you can't. But at least you still come away knowing more about your craft!

I tend to see dreams in those terms ....because most of mine are about creative things.

I would not like to be a slave to destiny. In fact I have over come some misfortunes so how could I be?

I will die sometime though. That's all I know. Nothing is certain ...that much is certain.

Sure. All of my friends. Tattoo artists, painters, piercers, graffiti writers, degrees masters and phds in all sorts of worthy but useless ****, musicians and illustrators.

This kind of hip behaviour is also known as being a waster. Depends on your point of view.

Of course as a real friend you never think of them as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It depends on what you do with it. Personally I have a long list of stuff I want to study but don't have the time/money for it. I really want to study logic, specifically game theory.

Recently though I was made redundant. I got a nice little payout and went travelling for three months. Now I'm back and wondering if I should do a masters in something I really want to do or get a job.

ah decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Of course as a real friend you never think of them as that.

Oh no. I believe we are wasters. There's no shame in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

My brother.. He went through a messy divorce,his head was fried but he finally got rid of the emotional vampire out of his life and took off...last I heard from him he was living in a tree hut in mexico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

No, I am classically minded. I learnt to play the violin. I learnt to dance. But practice brought me to a certain point and lack of practice means I am by far far less proficient than I used to be.

Maria Callas said it's not enough to have a beautiful voice.You must BREAK that voice to make it serve you.

I did not get into the first drama course I wanted. I had to do a different one first.

I think you increase the odds if you keep trying. But if it were to be pre-destined it would mean you actually learnt nothing and were not proficient in your craft.
    Say you were gifted the perfect voice but knew nothing about singing. It shows a lack of love for music and respect.

Respect your dreams.

And do you know sometimes when the odds are stacked against you then you can overcome them because you have worked hard. And sometimes you can't. But at least you still come away knowing more about your craft!

I tend to see dreams in those terms ....because most of mine are about creative things.

I would not like to be a slave to destiny. In fact I have over come some misfortunes so how could I be?

I will die sometime though. That's all I know. Nothing is certain ...that much is certain.

Have you seen the documentary on James Galway? Well worth watching.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Have you seen the documentary on James Galway? Well worth watching.

I will look out for it.

It's weird.

When you are presented with something that is currently beyond your skill level you don't believe you can do it at all. You can't and you don't feel like a natural or born to it or like you own it.

But if you keep at it you will get better and that destiny stuff doesn't matter.

Everyone wondered why Maria Callas suddenly 'lost it'. Her voice I mean. Zefferelli put it plainly 'She stopped practising every day'. She didn't lose it because her baby died or because Onasis left her or anything else. She stopped.

I think all those athletes etc what they like really is the structure of 'getting there'. I am not really making sense.

It's tough to visualize that in terms of other goals something. It's hard to see the training schedule to become a politician etc. So you forget it's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

My sister left a cushy middle class upbringing about 1960 to join an order of teaching nuns. After doing her novitiate she was professed and was sent to LA from where she volunteered to head to Pernambuca, Brazil - which then was extremely poor, excluding the ruling class. There she lived in a beach hut, where there was little to stop a high tide from removing her meagre belongings. From there she moved upmarket to a favela ;). Got lifted by government agents and handed over to the police a few times - for left wing political machinations. Because of Liberation Theology ideals she was called to Rome where she gave the Pope the finger rescinded her vows, headed back to Brazil, continued to work with the poor, met and fell in love with a FrenchCanadian Jesuit who had trod the identical path, got married and started a foundation for "street kids". Both in their late 70s, they live half of the year here in Ireland and both have willed any personal residual money/property to the same foundation.

Secretly I think, she would have loved to have evaded the chastity thing and have kids - but c'est la vie!