Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survival Horror/Horror games in general discussion

Options
  • 18-06-2015 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

My aim here is to make a thread that is similar to the JRPG discussion thread but with much more focus on horror and survival horror games in general. Like what survival horror games are you playing at the moment or any game that is typically not a horror game but has survival horror like moment in the game. (Like the Redeads from ocarina of time).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I bought the remastered Resi recently , but got annoyed after 2 or 3 hours with it's inventory system and looking for storage etc. I've not gone back to it

Also got the Dead Space series, but then got sidetracked with another game.

I installed that Outlast too recently, but it just didn't grip me really.

I think I was more into Survival/Horror when it first arrived on the scene with the likes of Resi / Silent Hill etc. As I've gotten older I can't get into them, I do try...but it's not like it used to be.

I still want to get and play Alien Isolation though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dead Space just went from horror with shooter elements to a straight out scifi shooter by the third game, very disappointing.
    The Wii game Dead Space Extraction was pretty brilliant though.

Resident Evil has not dated well, the visuals look spanking but the inventory system harms it, as does the save system. I would say the controls too but you do get accustomed to it.

Alien Resurrection is possibly an indication of the waning appeal of the genre in the west, with stellar work gone into the game and few people buying it, ultimately.

Fatal Frame on the WiiU looks like a good one though, and it's coming to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭derm0j073

I enjoyed ZombiU , it has an old school vibe and can be quite tense. Shame it wont get a sequel .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,795 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The best horror experience this gen was P.T, no AAA game has grabbed me at all. Alien really scared me as in i thought it would bore me to death. Found it more an annoyance stealthing around than an actually horror experience.

I honestly think the only thing to revive the horror genre back to full glory will be the Oculus, Rift, VR, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I got The Evil Within during the Steam sale, and I seriously like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I see Dreadout in the sale today, is it any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Links234 wrote: »
    I got The Evil Within during the Steam sale, and I seriously like it.

I tried to get into it but I think it's just awful. So disappointing from Shinji Mikami.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Silent hill and resident evil back in the day were great fun.

Somone mentioned outlast.

I forgot I even bought that a few months back. Haven't even started it.

I bought Zombie U last month and it's still in its wrapper.

Dead Space 1 and 2 also in their wrappers for 360.

I find I play shooters mostly these days due to their pick up and playness.

Destiny and more recently Splatoon being my current games of choice.

I went through a Mario Kart phase recently also.

Horror games for me anyway demand and deserve a dark room and 3 or 4 hour gaming sessions to get really immersed in the world surrounding you. That's when their at their very best.

Sadly I don't have that kind of time anymore in one sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

In Res Evil the inventory and save system is what makes it survival horror. You have a set amount of space for gear and you deal with it. Save system is the same as all games were years ago. Not like today where you can save wherever you want, it removes so much of the risk and tension involved.

Like people who bashed Dead Rising for the same sort of save system. I actually like it as it forces you to think and plan your strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Dead Space just went from horror with shooter elements to a straight out scifi shooter by the third game, very disappointing.
    The Wii game Dead Space Extraction was pretty brilliant though.

Resident Evil has not dated well, the visuals look spanking but the inventory system harms it, as does the save system. I would say the controls too but you do get accustomed to it.

Alien Resurrection is possibly an indication of the waning appeal of the genre in the west, with stellar work gone into the game and few people buying it, ultimately.

Fatal Frame on the WiiU looks like a good one though, and it's coming to the west.

I picked up Dead Space Extraction on the PS3 for a couple of euro in a sale there recently. I had the Move controller hanging around from getting the Potter game for one of the kids. I've only played an hour or two of it but it seems like a decent on the rails shooter.

I have played Dead Space 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them and I don't really have any issue with the dynamic of the game changing for 3 - after all the Alien series in film went from the tense horror of Alien to the balls to the walls action of Aliens - but there seems to other issues with it being slightly flabby and overlong that have put me off getting stuck into it. Playing through Wolfenstein at the moment so I might get stuck into it after that. I bought some of the other Dead Space DLC when I bought Extraction (Severed, Awakened) so I want to play through them as well.

I picked up Resident Evil Revelations cheaply enough there recently and it was a nicely paced game but I doubt you could really call it survival horror.

Alien Isolation really suffers from being overlong imo. There's a point about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the game where I felt it could have ended and it would have wrapped it up nicely enough but the last couple of hours felt like a bit of a drag and the pure fear that you feel at the beginning of the game turns into frustration as you just want to finish the game.

A game I loved but is probably an acquired taste is Siren: Blood Curse. Very unsettling and downright strange at times - not entirely sure what it was all about if I'm honest - but I really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,795 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Siren was brilliant, so creepy. I still haven't played the evil within. I'd go to buy it and change my mind at the last minute. Something about it always put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

As in Forbidden Siren? That game was scary as hell. The idea that you are hiding from a Japanese zombie as it searches for you and you can look through its eyes as it edges closer to where you are hiding was brilliant IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The first Siren game was rough. Could have been a classic but the structure of the game was maddening. Basically you'd be in a loop playing the same levels over and over unless you managed to complete a secret objective in a level that was very obscure. Basically if you weren't using gamefaqs you were fooked. Siren 2 was much better. Not played Blood Curse but heard it's great. Would love to see a new one but the team is currently making a Gravity Rush port/maybe a new game for PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I tried to get into it but I think it's just awful. So disappointing from Shinji Mikami.

It does seem a love it or hate it kinda game. I'm seriously liking it, the stealth elements are a very welcome change, the gameplay once I got used to it is seriously enjoyable, I found myself sneaking around and if I got spotted I'd make a run for it and try and lure the zombies into traps. Running away seems to be the best tactic, and I'm loving the game for that experience. It has it's flaws, I can see where a lot of people found it frustrating, and so far it's been worse than Dark Souls I've died so horribly so often.

I've also heard great things about the DLC, so I'm really looking forward to that once I've finished the main story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Doom 3 is scary, pay no attention to the nah-sayers.

Put it on a decent difficulty, lights off maybe, some head phones..... will keep you on the edge of your seat....

May also cause heart-issues :D

• Metro 2033 with headphones / light's off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Metro 2033 with headphones / light's off

I picked that up there at christmas for a steal on PS4 (both re-mastered games I think)... didn't know they were horror-like, thought they were more like Shadow of Chernobyl or something.

Maybe Headphones on/Lights off should be in the OP as a requirement for all games in the thread now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

bloodborne was pretty feckin scary at times!

• Cormac... wrote: »
    I picked that up there at christmas for a steal on PS4 (both re-mastered games I think)... didn't know they were horror-like, thought they were more like Shadow of Chernobyl or something.

Maybe Headphones on/Lights off should be in the OP as a requirement for all games in the thread now :pac:

I agree! takes big cojones to play Survival horror games with headphone / lights out combo :D

On Metro:
    Honestly it has a really unsettling atmosphere and the game varies from a military style underground shooter to all out survival horror and the balance is perfect.
    Peg in a few jump scares to boot
    Only recently played through the Redux of both games, brilliant stuff.

Here's an example of a more unsettling moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Baron McBoomBoom

Outlast, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Penumbra. first 3 games that pop into my mind when I think pants shredding terror :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

There is some new game out by the makers of Amnesia...
    Seen it on twitch last night

http://somagame.com/
    SOMA is a sci-fi horror game from Frictional Games, the creators of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. It is an unsettling story about identity, consciousness, and what it means to be human.

The radio is dead, food is running out, and the machines have started to think they are people. Underwater facility PATHOS-II has suffered an intolerable isolation and we’re going to have to make some tough decisions. What can be done? What makes sense? What is left to fight for?

Enter the world of SOMA and face horrors buried deep beneath the ocean waves. Delve through locked terminals and secret documents to uncover the truth behind the chaos. Seek out the last remaining inhabitants and take part in the events that will ultimately shape the fate of the station. But be careful, danger lurks in every corner: corrupted humans, twisted creatures, insane robots, and even an inscrutable omnipresent A.I.
    You will need to figure out how to deal with each one of them. Just remember there’s no fighting back, either you outsmart your enemies or you get ready to run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Skerries wrote: »
    I see Dreadout in the sale today, is it any good?

it actually spooked the crap out of me i had to stop playing, but its pretty much the same as fatal frame i think ? (havent actually played fatal frame though). Graphics are better at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Cormac... wrote: »
    didn't know they were horror-like, thought they were more like Shadow of Chernobyl or something.

IIRC, it actually was two of the original Stalker developers who left to make the Metro games.

Iv'e recently played through F.E.A.R. and thought that the horror aspects were (if subdued) really well done, especially at the start where it combines with sections of quiet, uneventful gameplay.

Alan Wake is another great horror game. You constantly feel like you're being watched and toyed with. When you can see and hear that screaming fog rolling through the forest towards you it's unbelievable tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

SeantheMan wrote: »
    There is some new game out by the makers of Amnesia...
    Seen it on twitch last night

http://somagame.com/

I had this preordered. Was looking forward to it. Will have a play of it over the weekend. It's been a few years since Amnesia and I think their style of horror has been ruined by all of the bad cheap games on Steam greenlight. They seem to have taken a slightly different direction with Soma and I'm interested in how it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

The condemned games on xbox were very scary too.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

I know this point has been made already, and i think the 25yo plus generation get it a lot more than the younger generation. Survival horror is 100% about not being able to carry everything you need at once, not being able to save instantly, or having way to frequent checkpoints, and having hairpulling puzzles mixed with "what the f*ck is that" moments.

IMO newer games while brilliant are shooter horror or survival shooter or (in the case of the evil within) utter b*ll****.

Resident evil 2 was my first step into the genre. 2 disks, simultanious but different storylines that were coupled with very well made cutscenes, and the enivatable boss fight at the end. Then i tried my hand at the daddy (again in my opinion) RE1. less shooting more running the hell away, looking for a random item to use as a key to get the untimate boss killer "the magnum".

While the RE franchise lost its way after RE4 i think games like dead rising started again for the new generation, that uncomfortable feeling of dread, not having enough ammo ect ect. Those tall guys in the coats in the first one freaked me out!

Silent hill was a different beast all together, utter f*cked up horror that would stay with you long after playing, with an incredible soundtrack. This franchise was almost rebooted with the very good but ultimately awkward controling and over-stretching Alan Wake.

I welcome new horror games and love playing them, my most recent was Alien isolation, very good top notch scary, insanely frustrating but ultimately falls down for me as having zero replay wanting.

I downloaded the remastered resident evil 1 game originally launched on the gamecube(something iv always wanted) and it was a masterpiece. Brought me right back to my Playstation 1 in my folks house all those years ago, except not im "grown up" (my girlfriend arguies that one) in my apartment on the third generation microsoft xbox.

The remake of RE2 is on its way and my god i cannot wait, i think a badly remade RE2 would be far better than any new nonsense resident evil the corporate boardroom driven development teams would greenlight.

These again are only my opinions guys, thanks for reading :)

It's not that we get it more the problem is game budgets. Publishers need to hit the biggest demographic they can and if a player is anyway challenged it will put them off and it means a lost sale. So now games are piss easy with friendly checkpoints and regenerating health. Survival horror is all about planning and using limited resources and some people are just afraid of playing a game where they can play badly enough they can put themselves into a corner and can't complete the game (even though with most survival horror that is an illusion, you'd have to be very cack handed at a game to do that).

It's not fair to say that 25 year olds plus only get it, the recent success of the rerelease of the resi remake will attest to that it's just that REmake would never hit the sales numbers of watered down shooters masquerading as survival horror like Dead Space (bubble bursting time, it's a poor mans resident evil 4... at best).

I didnt mean to generalise and isolate the younger generation, im 29, I just think if you grew up with memory cards and health packs, pre call of duty modern warfare (revelutionary in its own right) that there is a different appreciation of how a game holds your attention.

This may not be the rule for everyone, which is why I had made it clear that was just my opinion.

And i would argue that dead space was superior to RE4 in several ways, mostly RE4s teething issues with new free aiming style and pushing the limits of the platform it was launched on. But hey thats only my opinion.

I wouldn't say RE4 had issues with controls. You couldn't move while aiming sure but the game was built around those limitations. Taking aim with a weapon was a risk so you had to plan it. Dead Space might have nad smoother controls but it kind of made it too easy. Also RE4's level design, variety and set pieces were amazing, taking the same basic mechanics of the game and constantly presenting the player with new and inventive set pieces around said mechanics. Dead Space on the other hand had exhausted all that but they 3 stage and other than atrocious gun turret sections offered solid but samey gameplay in uninteresting environments.

• Advertisement

I didnt say major issues i said teething issues, and i get why YOU dont like dead space but that doesnt mean I have to buy in to your disillutioned opinion of it.

RE4 is better overall as a new experience in an existing franchise than dead space 1, but its not hands down and not in every way.

Advertisement