Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survival Horror/Horror games in general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I wouldn't go saying it's a disillusioned opinion and I never said they were major issues either. I'm just basing my opinion on how I can return to Resi 4 time and time again and never get bored of it and how mercenaries mode shows how well the mechanics have been implemented. Sure it moved away from the basics of Resident Evil but what we got was one of the best action games of all time and a different approach to horror games.

Dead Space on the other hand I was done with after 4 hours and was only playing it afterwards to get it over with. I'm just baffled that some people can like Dead Space more than Resi 4 but that their opinion. I wouldn't even say it's a better horro game than Resi 4 since it's overly reliant on jump scares.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

I do love debating on video games (nerd alert ha) but i totally get that and i could probably give RE4 another run through now and think its awesome, but the same for me with dead space, and quite like yourself with replay value is a major factor. When i first got Dead Space i played it through on hard, then immediatly after on easy for the "just one gun" achievment (using only the plasma cutter for the whole game) then played it through on impossible mode.

Recently there hasnt been a game that got me to that level of wanting to play again and again, usually i struggle to finish Alien isolation took me an age to get through as i was sick of that b*tch getting me every time ha.

I never thought id be arguing against Resident Evil as i am a major fanboy, and will religiously play every one i can get my hands on *i do hang my head in shame and say i havnt played zero as i never got a game cube.

I just think Dead Space is very good in its own right and stands out in a sea of diluted titles that have no real substance to them. Again IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I have to say compared to Resi 5 and 6 I'd pick Dead Space 1 and 2 ahead of them any day of the week. And they aren't bad games either I just wouldn't call them classics like I would Resi 4.

As for Resident Evil Zero, it's getting a HD rerelease soon as well but it's not that great. Worth a play through definitely but don't be expecting REmake levels of greatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

IMO newer games while brilliant are shooter horror or survival shooter or (in the case of the evil within) utter b*ll****.

I only picked this up a couple of weeks and I'm slowly working my way through this. It's frustrating at times but I wouldn't call it bullshít. It's not scary or frightening at all though despite its horror trappings.

Mind you, I think buying it a year after it came out meant I didn't have to deal with any teething issues it had on launch and the patch was already there meaning I could get rid of the black bars right from the off and play the game at full screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

I usually start playing the horror games coming up to Halloween, makes sense. This year I'm going with the evil within and doom 3.

The best survival horror games I've played in the last few years were dead space, resident evil revelations and alien isolation. I don't think any game has ever made me feel so genuinely tense and nervous as alien isolation did, absolutely great atmosphere in that game.

A couple of notable mentions that get overlooked are haunting ground on the ps2 and rise of nightmares on the 360 for Kinect. Although it didn't get great reviews, rise of nightmares had a good atmosphere and some scary settings and enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

I only picked up The Evil Within recently, I remember seeing the trailers for it a while back and thinking I'd be really into it, but never got round to playing it until now.

Man, is it crap. It just comes off as a brazen attempt by Mikami to recreate Resident Evil 4. Funnily enough I found resi 4 played much better than TEW. The stealth mechanics are crap, ubiquitous upgrade system is boring and trite, it just plays like a mix between resi 4 and The Last of Us, and is all the worse for it. Even screen effects like the letter box and graininess are just head melting, although you can get rid of these so I'm just being nitpicky now.

I've struggled to get as far as chapter 3, I'll fully admit I'm bad at the game, but from what it's offered me so far I'm not bothered going any further with it.

I heard it gets better the further you get but I felt the beginning was pretty crap as well and gave up.

I finished The Evil Within a week or so ago and I have mixed feelings about it. There were times I just gave up on it and had enough of it, found it horribly frustrating and I'd leave it go for a week but I felt compelled to finish it. I suppose I enjoyed it in the end but it's a hard one to recommend to people I think. The story is absolute muck and the amount of instant deaths in it was really frustrating but for some strange reason I still want to play the DLC and if the season pass goes on sale on the PS Store today I'll pick it up. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the game but is it scary? Not a jot, I felt ten times the tension playing the likes of I am Alive or the Last of Us.

I removed the bars straight away before I started the game and I can't imagine how irritating it would be to play with them on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

The DLC was really good, much more stealthy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of Evil Within, it's part of the Playstation halloween sale at the moment

https://psprices.com/region-ie/discounts?sort=date&page=1&platform=PS4

15 quid if you have ps+

EDIT: Shout out to Kunst for posting this in Playstation Bargains :)

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Speaking of Evil Within, it's part of the Playstation halloween sale at the moment

https://psprices.com/region-ie/discounts?sort=date&page=1&platform=PS4

15 quid if you have ps+

Siren Blood Curse is only €5.20 for the PS3 in that sale. If you like horror games and you haven't played that, you really need to sort yourself out.

Siren Blood Curse is only €5.20 for the PS3 in that sale. If you like horror games and you haven't played that, you really need to sort yourself out.

Never played it, pity the ps3 games can't be played on ps4

da gamer wrote: »
    I usually start playing the horror games coming up to Halloween, makes sense. This year I'm going with the evil within and doom 3.

The best survival horror games I've played in the last few years were dead space, resident evil revelations and alien isolation. I don't think any game has ever made me feel so genuinely tense and nervous as alien isolation did, absolutely great atmosphere in that game.

A couple of notable mentions that get overlooked are haunting ground on the ps2 and rise of nightmares on the 360 for Kinect. Although it didn't get great reviews, rise of nightmares had a good atmosphere and some scary settings and enemies.

Forgot to mention Alan Wake. Absolutely loved that game. Not a survival horror game as such but a horror game nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I posted about it a few weeks back when it was first released, but noone really seemed to be playing it...but considering how highly people rate Amnesia etc....is anyone playing SOMA , or gave it a run through at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I posted about it a few weeks back when it was first released, but noone really seemed to be playing it...but considering how highly people rate Amnesia etc....is anyone playing SOMA , or gave it a run through at all ?

I have played about 2 hours of it so far but I stopped because I'm playing a lot of Bloodborne at the moment. So far it's been ok if a little disappointing. It doesn't have the same atmosphere as Amnesia. It's trying to take a different approach. Rather than scaring the player, it tries to disturb you by the actions your character makes. So far it isn't working for me. If a game basically tells me I have to do something bad in order to proceed and really 'gamifies' it, I'm not going to feel bad about it afterwards. I'll play some more of it over the next few weeks. By the way, Bloodborne is the best survival horror game I've played in ages.

Started The Evil Within today, really enjoyed the first few chapters. Just finished chapter 4. It's resident evil 5, or 4.5 really. Loving the atmosphere, setting and overall resi feel about it. I can understandwhy people might not like it, from a difficulty level anyway I can see how it could be frustrating. But like resi 4 that's kind of the beauty of it, having f all ammo and seeing 7 or 8 zombie creatures corner you,with one wielding a chainsaw.

Wasn't anything to do with the difficulty for me. I just wasn't having any fun with it. I'll go back someday to the PC version since I heard the start is the worst part of it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wasn't anything to do with the difficulty for me. I just wasn't having any fun with it. I'll go back someday to the PC version since I heard the start is the worst part of it.

You should go back to it some day. The patches have enabled full screen now too which helps. I think it's a game that you need a lot of patience with though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

Great thread. I play horror games only for the month of October, so far this month I've been playing a lot of indie horror games such as the Penumbra series, Home and Lone Survivor. Going to get stuck into The Evil Within this week too, I got to the fourth chapter and haven't gone back to it since but it deserves a replay. I'd also recommend Alien Isolation, Outlast and Amnesia to anyone looking for a scare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

I picked up Outlast on the PS store tonight. Its on special offer, €5.70. Can't go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I just completed SOMA and I'm a little sad to see it's only mention in the gaming forum is in this thread.

I feel like it's a game that deserves a lot more attention. It has a wonderfully disturbing atmosphere and one of the best sci-fi narratives in a game. I would say the game is much more disturbing and gives you a sense of dread rather than being a pure horror. It absolutely has scary moments but it's more that feeling of dread.

If you enjoyed Alien Isolation, you should enjoy this. It has some similar moments and the environment and sound design are excellent.

It's currently on sale on the PSN store so I'd highly recommend checking it out

I think calling SOMA a survival horror game is selling it short. It's a wonderful piece of hard sci Fi and storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

tok9 wrote: »
    I just completed SOMA and I'm a little sad to see it's only mention in the gaming forum is in this thread.

I feel like it's a game that deserves a lot more attention. It has a wonderfully disturbing atmosphere and one of the best sci-fi narratives in a game. I would say the game is much more disturbing and gives you a sense of dread rather than being a pure horror. It absolutely has scary moments but it's more that feeling of dread.

I actually posted a bit about it in the games you have competed recently thread about 2 months ago. Fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

The Last of Us has been the only great s/h game for me in a long time. I stuck it on survivor difficulty for my first play through and I definitely got that survival/horror feeling of rationing and sh**ing myself of going around the next corner.

Alien Isolation was ok. The hiding got very tedious after while especially when the Alien would not bugger off from outside your locker.

I'm trying to remember, did I honestly fight a Dino Zombie in one of the last Resi Evil I played? What was one of the more recent ones where you were going around in groups? I didn't mind that. Code Veronica still holds the title for me with that series, No.2 was prob the best but CV holds a special place in my gaming heart for some reason.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Dino Crisis, now that was a fantastic s/h game that went completely belly up with it's sequels, bring us back a rehash of the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Gandalph wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has mentioned Dino Crisis, now that was a fantastic s/h game that went completely belly up with it's sequels, bring us back a rehash of the first one.

I have the first one on Dreamcast, fantastic game. Iv'e heard that the third one was a disaster alright but i thought the second one was received well enough, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I have the first one on Dreamcast, fantastic game. Iv'e heard that the third one was a disaster alright but i thought the second one was received well enough, no?

In fairness I liked the second but it was a totally different game, it was in no way survival horror. Felt like an arcade shooter, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you could even buy unlimited bullets without cheats.

Dino Crisis 2 is pretty much the missing evolutionary link between resident evil and devil may cry. It's very much an action game and a great one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah but when I bought it I was expecting the s/h aspects of the first so was fairly disappointed and gave up on it very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

am playing SOMA currently. almost heart failure at times, had to turn it off the other night while waiting for the mcgregor fight. headset on, lights off - bricking it

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dino Crisis 2 is pretty much the missing evolutionary link between resident evil and devil may cry. It's very much an action game and a great one at that.

Fond memories of that one , must add that to the list for my retropie

Advertisement