Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction work in Australia...

• 18-06-2015 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi guys,

What is the job market like in Australia at this moment?

For electricians specifically, does anyone know?

Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Goat Paddock

Reading online there seems to be alot of work in Syd&Melbourne. But then again there might be alot of competition for these jobs - I am not on the ground and am not a sparky so just speculating.

An option is to get your skills assessed and talk to a recruiter once your visa-ready.

Or if your just heading over on a WHV call into Hays or whatever other big agencies there are.

Seems to be bonkers down under anyway:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/will-housing-bubble-pop-in-2017/story-fndban6l-1227365483287

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Thank you-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi guys,

What is the job market like in Australia at this moment?

For electricians specifically, does anyone know?

Cheers.

First thing you will need to do is get an A grade electrical licence. Have you looked into this at all? Without it your options are limited. If you are willing to put the effort into getting the licence then you will more than likely have no problem getting work with the choice of doing FIFO if that interests you.

aido79 wrote: »
    First thing you will need to do is get an A grade electrical licence. Have you looked into this at all? Without it your options are limited. If you are willing to put the effort into getting the licence then you will more than likely have no problem getting work with the choice of doing FIFO if that interests you.

Ah cheers; Yea I am aware of the procedures to be put in place in order to get working over there, I was just inquiring about the job market in general atm...

Thanks anyway-)

Ah cheers; Yea I am aware of the procedures to be put in place in order to get working over there, I was just inquiring about the job market in general atm...

Thanks anyway-)

You wouldn't have a problem getting work once you have the licence but it may take 12 months to get it from when you land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

FIFO work is drying up and getting harder to get these days. I'm still doing it but the money isn't as great as it used to be, conditions are a bit tougher etc.
    Sydney is booming with work at the minute with lots of big high rise projects going on.

You wouldn't have a problem getting work once you have the licence but it may take 12 months to get it from when you land.

What are the options to getting a job prior to getting the electrician licence in Australia?
    Can one work as a trade assistant?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

As Pete says plenty of High rise being built in Sydney, you might even get a job with the Chinese mob that's looking to build 500 units on my place that is when I sell it to them.

What are the options to getting a job prior to getting the electrician licence in Australia?
    Can one work as a trade assistant?

Thanks

Yes it is possible to get a job as a trade assistant but it can be more difficult than getting a job as a licenced electrician and obviously you won't be paid as much. What part of Australia are you planning to head for?

Yes it is possible to get a job as a trade assistant but it can be more difficult than getting a job as a licenced electrician and obviously you won't be paid as much. What part of Australia are you planning to head for?

Probably Sydney or Melbourne.

I think to prepare for the electrical exam one has to work as an assistant first? Maybe I'm wrong...idk...

• Advertisement

Probably Sydney or Melbourne.

I think to prepare for the electrical exam one has to work as an assistant first? Maybe I'm wrong...idk...

I live in WA so am not sure what work is like in Sydney or Melbourne at the minute.
    Have a look at this link to see the steps you need to take to get the electrical licence:
    http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/TRS/Pages/Licensing.aspx

Its not an easy process and you may have to work for as a trade assistant for up to 12 months completing a logbook along the way. If you are coming over on a working holiday visa this may be quite difficult as you can only work for one employer for 6 months and you will need to complete 3 months regional work to apply for a second year visa.
    The other option is to do it through these guys:
    http://www.peer.com.au/Training/UpskillTraining/Electrical/WiringRulesASNZS3000/tabid/268/Default.aspx
    although I'm not sure if this is recognised in other states so you may need to look into this a bit more or get in contact with them and ask.
    The process has changed a lot since I got my licence in 2008 and I haven't really being following the changes apart from what I hear from fellow Irish electricians going through the hassles of it all.
    Hope this helps and best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Sydney is your best bet without a license, just type in unlicensed electrician or Electrical trade assistant into seek and 90% of the results will be in Nsw.

I lived Melbourne for 6 months and rarely seen any Electrical jobs if you didn't have a license, was offered a gig wiring caravans but ended up "labouring" for an electrical company in HVAC installs and the boss was adamant I wasn't to make any terminations due to regulations.

minzabud wrote: »
    Sydney is your best bet without a license, just type in unlicensed electrician or Electrical trade assistant into seek and 90% of the results will be in Nsw.

I lived Melbourne for 6 months and rarely seen any Electrical jobs if you didn't have a license, was offered a gig wiring caravans but ended up "labouring" for an electrical company in HVAC installs and the boss was adamant I wasn't to make any terminations due to regulations.

Hey Minzabud,
    What kind of wages could you expect as a TA?

Cheers-)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Depeds,when I was in South Austalia I was getting 30au for doing solar installs.

In Melbourne I was on 25au.

I've been in Sydney since February and haven't been doing electrical work at all, there is plenty of jobs for TAs and I often get phone calls from charter house or White collar blue seeing if I'm available but generally the jobs are only for 2 or 3 weeks and then your back to square one so id rather something consistent.The rates in Sydney seem to be around 25-28 an hour, I did speak with a company in Randwick who told me that if they had a good unlicensed guy on the books the difference in the rate could be 50c an hour so around 33au was what they were paying.

If i had more time on my visa I'd do the Risi course, there's no shortage of rail work in Sydney at the moment.

minzabud wrote: »
    Depeds,when I was in South Austalia I was getting 30au for doing solar installs.

In Melbourne I was on 25au.

I've been in Sydney since February and haven't been doing electrical work at all, there is plenty of jobs for TAs and I often get phone calls from charter house or White collar blue seeing if I'm available but generally the jobs are only for 2 or 3 weeks and then your back to square one so id rather something consistent.The rates in Sydney seem to be around 25-28 an hour, I did speak with a company in Randwick who told me that if they had a good unlicensed guy on the books the difference in the rate could be 50c an hour so around 33au was what they were paying.

If i had more time on my visa I'd do the Risi course, there's no shortage of rail work in Sydney at the moment.

Thanks-)

Advertisement