Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PR in NZ

Options
  • 18-06-2015 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

I found out today that I am not entitled to PR due to not having lived in NZ continuously for 2 years. I was always of the understanding that you had to live/work here on a resident visa for 182/364 days per year, over the course of 2 years to enable you to apply for it. That pretty much means I'm left with no choice but to leave NZ by the end of the year. I was looking to leave to head for home anyways, but wanted the option to come back down the line. Gutted! :(

Does anyone know what other options I have if I want to come back in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tourist visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Tourist visa.

I was thinking more on the lines of if I wanted to come back here and work on a more long-term basis?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Hi Underwood..
    My word, i'm gutted for you! What a kick in the teeth :(
    I've just done a search for you and from the Immigration website you should be fine........
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/alreadyinnz/residents/nextsteps/prvrequirements.htm

States:
    ''1. You have spent enough time in New Zealand
    You have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding your permanent resident visa application. You do not have to provide any extra evidence, other than your passport(s).''

What did you do for the last 2 years, where were you?

Good luck!

Hey Supermouse! Yeah thanks for that link but that's unfortunately how I've got misled before!! Apparently there are different rules for a holder of an Australian PR on a resident visa here (i.e me). So gutted. How on earth they expect you to live in a country continuously for 2 years without even a holiday away is beyond me. :(

"Australian citizens and permanent residents may qualify for a Permanent Resident Visa (PRV) provided they have held a Resident Visa continuously for more than 24 months, and have met the PRV criteria.

However, Resident Visas held by Australians expire upon exit from New Zealand, so travelling in and out of New Zealand can affect the requirement that the Resident Visa must be held for two years continuously.

If an Australian citizen or permanent resident is in New Zealand on a Resident visa and wishes to apply for a permanent resident visa in the future, they should make an application for a Variation of Travel Conditions (VOTC) if they wish to travel in the meantime".

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/knowledgebase/item/5323

I've been working in Auckland for the past 2 years as an Engineer! I've been happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As a holder of Australian PR, can you not enter, stay, work and study in New Zealand even without having New Zealand PR status?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Very disappointing :( Hope you can get it sorted, sorry I can't be of more assistance!

Peregrinus wrote: »
    As a holder of Australian PR, can you not enter, stay, work and study in New Zealand even without having New Zealand PR status?

You can indeed, but unfortunately, as an Australian PR you have to work in Oz for 2 years out of every 5 to keep it active. I have now worked outside of Oz (in NZ) for 2 years, so only have another year to run before either

a) return to Oz to live for another 2 years (not gonna happen esp given the recession)
    b) lose my Australian PR, and with it any hope of returning to NZ!

No worries Supermouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As you are currently an Australian PR, can't you go immediately back to New Zealand on a residence class visa, and this time make sure that for the next two years you only travel after getting a variation of travel conditions, and then in two year's time get New Zealand PR?

Oh, wait, I see from the OP your immediate plan is to go home; your hope was to return to NZ at some future date. Then the only thought that occurs to me - and it's a long shot - is to see whether there is any way that you can apply for a retrospective variation of travel conditions to cover your time outside NZ over the past two years, so that you can get PR now.

Advertisement