Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMX club or possible track

Options
  • 18-06-2015 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hello,

I've been checking before posting and could not find anything. It seems there is no BMX track or club in the area, just those skate tracks in some parks that do not seem suited for BMX at all.

For this reason I was thinking on getting people together to try to start a club and perhaps consider starting a project to build a track, urban style or dirt, whatever is easier. I have already sent an email to the City Council asking about considering the Roscam Park grounds to do something like this, but so far I haven't go any answers.

I do not practice the sport myself ( I do cycle a lot though :)) but my son is very eager and the only resources are, as usual, in Dublin.
    I think there is a club in Ballinrobe, but is too far away as well.

Any ideas, tips, criticism, volunteers please?

Thanks!

Luciano

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

lucianot wrote: »
    Hello,

I've been checking before posting and could not find anything. It seems there is no BMX track or club in the area, just those skate tracks in some parks that do not seem suited for BMX at all.

For this reason I was thinking on getting people together to try to start a club and perhaps consider starting a project to build a track, urban style or dirt, whatever is easier. I have already sent an email to the City Council asking about considering the Roscam Park grounds to do something like this, but so far I haven't go any answers.

I do not practice the sport myself ( I do cycle a lot though :)) but my son is very eager and the only resources are, as usual, in Dublin.
    I think there is a club in Ballinrobe, but is too far away as well.

Any ideas, tips, criticism, volunteers please?

Thanks!

Luciano

Try Moycullen - give the lads in Moycullen Bike Works a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Thanks! Good tip, much appreciated.

Besides this, if anybody wishes to join and talk about funding a BMX club/track being freestyle or BMX racing, please contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Try Moycullen - give the lads in Moycullen Bike Works a ring

Ya they have indoor and outdoor tracks at the MBW store in Moycullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Agreed- speak to Gary in the bike shop in moycullen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 GaelanG2017

Hi, I am wondering have you set up a BMX Club in Galway or do you know of one, as my son is also into Bmx'ing. There is the place in Moycullen but it is very far out.

No, I have not. I could not find anybody else with the same interest.

An indoor Bmx park would be great. I know the place in Moyculen was busy and I think they will be opening it up again soon. Its very far out though.

Agree, too far away. Setting up something in Galway would take a lot of energy, time and resources. I approached the City Council about Roscam Park and they said they are not willing to discuss using any part of the park for anything like that. Then I stopped searching. The kid got a bigger bike though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is not enough bmx around to warrant more than Moycullen and Ballinrobe and maybe one or two more places.
    There is a skatepark by the cathedral where I think you can bmx too.

• Advertisement

Ya I contacted the council last year but they said they didn't have the budget... If anyone would like to meet up sometime to bring the kids BMX'ing that would be great. I also do a bit of Mountain biking some weekends, usually go to Ballyhoura or Clairnbridge if anyone would like to meet up for a cycle let me know, nothing to serious just a bit of fun (",).

biko wrote: »
    There is not enough bmx around to warrant more than Moycullen and Ballinrobe and maybe one or two more places.
    What do you mean and what are you actually basing this on? :confused:

I would think any City large town in Ireland should have such facilities. They are hardly going to break the bank considering the size and scale of such facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I base it on that this thread is from 2015 and still has hardly any replies from anyone.
    Also googling galway bmx or looking under bmx forum on boards there is hardly no interest.

That said, maybe the place in Moycullen is buzzing?

If you think such facilities should exist in Galway city feel free to approach your TD.
    Btw, can you confirm if the skatepark by the cathedral allows bmx biking?

Not sure, but I wouldn't say there would be a problem using your Bmx there.

biko wrote: »
    I base it on that this thread is from 2015 and still has hardly any replies from anyone.
    Also googling galway bmx or looking under bmx forum on boards there is hardly no interest.
    Well I think an argument around providing facilities based on population centre's makes far more sense than using this thread and a quick google.
    I doubt boards.ie is where the young bmx'ers are going to be hanging out. This is the OLD web.

Advertisement