Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre, or urban fibre as it should be known

Options
  • 18-06-2015 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I see from your interactive map, "eircom.net/efibreinfo/map", that the Fethard area is due for roll out of eFibre in June '15. The map shows the complete Fethard exchange catchment area as a possibility for reception of eFibre. In actual fact the truth is that you have to be 1.2 km or nearer to an exchange to get eFibre, is this correct? If so it now excludes 90% of the shaded area in Fethard.

Why isn't there a 1.2 km circle around the Fethard exchange showing the correct situation instead of misleading the public with the complete area shaded?

Is there any plans to bring a cabinet to the rural villages to allow access to us in the "sticks"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi PilotBuddy

I have looked into this for you & spoken to our eFibre team who advised Fethard is in the planning stages of eFibre rollout.

The recommended distance is 1000 meters to avail of eFibre from the cabinet & I'm afraid we are unable to comment on operational and infrastructural values.

As Fethard is still in the planning stages we are unable to offer an indication of a time frame at present however if you would like you would like to check back with us in about 6-8 months we should have more information available for you then.

Thanks

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

PilotBuddy wrote: »
    I see from your interactive map, "eircom.net/efibreinfo/map", that the Fethard area is due for roll out of eFibre in June '15. The map shows the complete Fethard exchange catchment area as a possibility for reception of eFibre. In actual fact the truth is that you have to be 1.2 km or nearer to an exchange to get eFibre, is this correct? If so it now excludes 90% of the shaded area in Fethard.

Why isn't there a 1.2 km circle around the Fethard exchange showing the correct situation instead of misleading the public with the complete area shaded?

Is there any plans to bring a cabinet to the rural villages to allow access to us in the "sticks"?
    Here's the planned location of the fibre cabinets in Fethard. 

Note how Johnstown village in Co Kilkenny (population 445) is included in the roll out but the nearby small "town"of Urlingford which has a almost double the population (867) isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

The map means nothing. It is a pure work of fiction. If you are not in an urban area, it is highly unlikely that you will receive this service. The map should show a ring around enabled cabinets which currently, it does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

galljga1 wrote: »
    The map means nothing. It is a pure work of fiction. If you are not in an urban area, it is highly unlikely that you will receive this service. The map should show a ring around enabled cabinets which currently, it does not.
    Exactly the map only represents the exchange boundaries. Most of the large villages/small towns included in the roll out have neighbouring towns/villages on the same exchange that will not be included. 

The only hope they have is for the NBP to come to fruition. 

Before the local elections last year these areas were promised broadband by 2016 http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/4DE5D693-92D1-4FE1-915E-26D57C72305B/0/NBPdestinations.pdf :D 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi galljga1

This map : http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ - will clearly show you quite a lot of areas currently availing of eFibre (signalled by the green circles) which are not in urban areas.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Advertisement

Hi galljga1

This map : http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ - will clearly show you quite a lot of areas currently availing of eFibre (signalled by the green circles) which are not in urban areas.

Thanks
    Al
    You are missing the point that the OP made which is that the map mentioned is entirely misleading and to me is false advertising. In my instance it blankets the entire area in which I live in green which signifies that efibre is available. The fact is that efibre is available in very little of the geographical area outlined. If it blanketed an area with a radius of 1.2 k.m. around enabled cabinets it would be more truthfull. As it stands, it is a blatant lie.

The green circles indicate enabled cabinets and are predominantly in built up areas.

Hi galljga1

Thanks
    Al
    You are missing the point that the OP made which is that the map mentioned is entirely misleading and to me is false advertising. In my instance it blankets the entire area in which I live in green which signifies that efibre is available. The fact is that efibre is available in very little of the geographical area outlined. If it blanketed an area with a radius of 1.2 k.m. around enabled cabinets it would be more truthfull. As it stands, it is a blatant lie.

The green circles indicate enabled cabinets and are predominantly in built up areas.

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I see the point you're making galljga1 although it would be inaccurate to suggest that If you are not in an urban area, it is highly unlikely that you will receive this service.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]
    I also understand the initial post in relation to the other map in which blankets an entire area although located directly above it a message reads:[/font]

Please note[font=Times New Roman","serif]: this map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I understand your feelings on this and I will ensure your feedback reaches operations[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Cheers[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

Hi galljga1

Thanks
    Al

I see the point you're making galljga1 although it would be inaccurate to suggest that If you are not in an urban area, it is highly unlikely that you will receive this service.

I also understand the initial post in relation to the other map in which blankets an entire area although located directly above it a message reads:

Please note: this map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool.

I understand your feelings on this and I will ensure your feedback reaches operations

Cheers
    Al
    This depends on what definition of 'urban' you are using. The word itself comes from Latin, as such it is ancient and has lost it's true meaning, in reality having been replaced by 'metropolitan' . I would consider most villages (not towns or cities) in this country to be 'urban'. So, I repeat, Outside of urban areas, IT IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE THIS SERVICE. Outside of metropolitan areas, this service is probably unavailable in 90 to 95% of the area in which it is deemed available by eircom: false advertising.

Re the message above the map: it is a recent addition due to the amount of negative feedback received when areas went 'green' and people signed up with eircom after being promised this service only to be severely let down when it became apparent that they would not receive the promised service: false advertising.

Hi galljga1

Thanks
    Al

I see the point you're making galljga1 although it would be inaccurate to suggest that If you are not in an urban area, it is highly unlikely that you will receive this service.

I also understand the initial post in relation to the other map in which blankets an entire area although located directly above it a message reads:

Please note: this map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool.

I understand your feelings on this and I will ensure your feedback reaches operations

Cheers
    Al
    This depends on what definition of 'urban' you are using. The word itself comes from Latin, as such it is ancient and has lost it's true meaning, in reality having been replaced by 'metropolitan' . I would consider most villages (not towns or cities) in this country to be 'urban'. So, I repeat, Outside of urban areas, IT IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE THIS SERVICE. Outside of metropolitan areas, this service is probably unavailable in 90 to 95% of the area in which it is deemed available by eircom: false advertising.

Re the message above the map: it is a recent addition due to the amount of negative feedback received when areas went 'green' and people signed up with eircom after being promised this service only to be severely let down when it became apparent that they would not receive the promised service: false advertising.
    Hi galljga1

I'm not sure if I would consider most villages in Ireland to be considered urban although I do understand the point you're making.

If you have concerns about false advertising please feel free to contact comreg or any other relevant authority. Ultimately the map on the website is intended to suggest when eFibre has launched in the general area and a simple follow up of entereing your number or address in to the checker will give you a definitive and specific answer on efibre availability to your line - equally, if it's not available you will not be able to order the service.

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement