Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale Agreed prior to auction

Options
  • 18-06-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all,

Saw something this morning that got me thinking...

A house near to me was due for auction on Jun 19th. However I saw this morning that a sign had been put up on the property stating "Sale Agreed prior to auction". It got me thinking about the legality/morality (if any!) of this.

If I was interested in the property and was waiting to go through the "proper" procedure by bidding at the auction, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Granted, there may be cases where a house is sold to family/friends, etc. prior to auction, but what if Joe Soap just circumvents the process and contacts the EA beforehand? Is there any legal/good practice obligation on the EA to proceed to auction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

what auction company was it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

JoeySully wrote: »
    what auction company was it ?

Not sure... as far as I can make out it was due to be auctioned locally by the EA themselves (DNG)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Dont see any issue with this. Anyone can approach the EA prior to auction and make an offer of the reserve price or above. Its not uncommon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Id imagine if you had registered interest EA would let you know before going sale agreed but give lack of regulation no guarntees

Advertisement