Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Holidays in November/December

Options
  • 18-06-2015 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi,

My wife and I have never been on a sun holiday in the winter season and were wondering where is decent to go where weather is actually sun and relatively inexpensive.

All suggestions are apprepicated, thanks

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

canaries islands are the obvious ones, i went to lanzarote last year in october and it was lovely. reasonable enough too

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

any particular places in these areas that one should go to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

well I have gone to Playa Blanca in Lanzarote its quiet with really good restaurants in the marina, a nice beach in the middle and very close to large beaches in the national park at papagoya. Not too much by way of nightlife though. I think porta del carmen is much livelier if thats your cup of tea but its not as nice a resort in my opinion, though still nice with plenty of good accommodation and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

salmocab wrote: »
    well I have gone to Playa Blanca in Lanzarote its quiet with really good restaurants in the marina, a nice beach in the middle and very close to large beaches in the national park at papagoya. Not too much by way of nightlife though. I think porta del carmen is much livelier if thats your cup of tea but its not as nice a resort in my opinion, though still nice with plenty of good accommodation and restaurants.

I was in Puerto Del Carmen in February, my first time in the Canaries. It may be 'much livlier' than the place you were in but by the standards of a lot of resorts I've been to, it was pretty quiet and civilised with lots of decent bars and restaurants. It was just after the midterm break so the tourists were mainly 50+ with a smattering of younger couples with pre-school children. Good mix of available accommodation ranging from hotel rooms and apartments to chalets and privately rented houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

It always gives me a giggle when folk refer to PdC as "much livelier" compared to the other resorts on Lanzarote. You're starting from a very low point on the lively scale to begin with. If it's lively you're after Playa Del Ingles in GC or Playa de las Americas on Tenerife....

In short, Lanzarote is not a party island. There are great bars and restaurants in all the resorts and, in PdC, one area filled with disco bars which is easily avoided.

If you want it quiet, I always stay at the Costa Sal when I'm in Lanzarote, stayed a few times (a couple of times as a kid and twice now with my own kids!) and booked in again for September. It's in a really quiet area of PdC called Matagorda, very well reviewed and a very laid back hotel/apartment complex. The beauty of it is, you've some good bars and restaurants within a couple of minutes walk and 5 minutes in a taxi will get you to the main resort with a huge selection.

As coylemj says outside of school holidays it's mostly a mature crowd or young families, so definitely not your boozed up brits or paddies abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Take a look at Melonaras area of Gran Canaria too. We love it there. We have stayed at the Green Golf Bungalows a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Dovies wrote: »
    Take a look at Melonaras area of Gran Canaria too. We love it there. We have stayed at the Green Golf Bungalows a couple of times.
    Forgot about Maspalomas. Mogan is lovely too, a little further down the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

check out the Los Jameos Playa in Lanzarote, its super and they do all inclusive which is fab, we have been going here of the past 6 years in september, and love it , its such a chill holiday....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JesseT

My boyfriend and I usually go to Peurto Del Carmen Lanzarote in December and it is my fav time to go, everything is much more relaxed, weather is still good and its a nice little break before Christmas.

We usually get it cheap enough too.

Any of the Canary Island you are guaranteed good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Loving this thread as we too are thinking about spain for 26th for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Why are people putting much livelier between quote marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mayomom24

Hi there

We don't do sun holidays.
    Hoping to do winter sun either at Christmas or Halloween.
    2 Adults plus 12 & 13 yr old.

What the top tips - package, do it ourselves?

All advice welcome

tks!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Mayomom24 wrote: »
    Hi there

We don't do sun holidays.
    Hoping to do winter sun either at Christmas or Halloween.
    2 Adults plus 12 & 13 yr old.

What the top tips - package, do it ourselves?

All advice welcome

tks!

This thread might be a little help:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057448508/1/#post95923703

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Flights to Thailand can be pricey but when you get there holidaying is so cheap and would be hot that time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Afaik, southern Spain is surprisingly warm at that time of year. mate of mine was in Almeria for christmas last year said it was 18-20 degrees every day, plus as it's not exactly holiday central it's cheap and mayhem free (if that's what you're after)

Advertisement