Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taco Taco

Options
  • 18-06-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried this place and if so do they know if there is much of a wait on a Friday night?
    Another irritating on trend no reservations policy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Really enjoyed the food there, been a couple of times now. The best way to work around the no reservations is turn up before you're starving but ready to eat.

Have the popcorn dessert, it's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The popcorn dessert is amazing! Was there a couple of months ago and didn't have to wait at all, though that was early enough around 6pm. It did fill up while we were there but no queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

thanks for the responses. Hopefully no major wait, pity more irish restaurants don't have bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Went there a few weeks ago with work, no bother getting a table for 10 at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

Went there last Saturday night at 8.30pm. Got a table straightaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Thought it was pretty expensive for what we got but I had the duck tacos with no side and I was full after them. They were pretty rich. We went before 6 so we had no problem getting a table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I went on a Friday two weeks ago and had to wait about an hour to get a table at about 7.

Been a couple of times now, absolutely love it! The sides are really nice too

went on Friday evening last at 745. Were only people sitting at about 4 tables and the downstairs was completely empty. Was thoroughly unimpressed by the food. The tortilla's had an odd crumbly texture like terrible gluten free bread that disintegrates in your mouth. The rest wasn't much better unfortunately apart from the nice waitstaff.

Surprised at that, what did you order? I had the Fish Tacos which were amazing and my other half had the seared tuna, we really enjoyed both with the Fish Tacos being the favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

I don't understand all the fuss over taco taco. The tacos are okay, good as you can find in Ireland I suppose but definitely not worth the price.

777 or Boojum is where its at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    The tortilla's had an odd crumbly texture like terrible gluten free bread that disintegrates in your mouth. The rest wasn't much better unfortunately apart from the nice waitstaff.

Were they corn tortillas, perhaps? They have a grainy texture. They're actually (I think) used more frequently in Mexican cooking than flour.

Almost certain the tortilla's are flour. Corn tortillas have much more flavour and different texture.
    Ordered the fish tacos, which were comprised of some well fried fish sitting on a heap of chopped lettuce. I think underwhelming would be heaping praise on it to be honest.
    With the slightest effort this place could be an okay spot and it's OK if you like mediocre serviceable Mexican food.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

Yeah, that really doesn't sound good! €15 too, I see from the menu. I'll be home in Dublin in 2 weeks and was considering a trip there but I might have to rethink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I really don't get the hate here, chicken tacos are delicious. As are the fish ones. Then in terms of the sides, I've tried poutine fries, sweet potato fries, corn on the cobb on different occasions and they are all amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I thought Taco Taco was so expensive for what it is and then also not very good. The night we went the service was also really not good (margarita getting slopped over the side of the glass by the waiter carrying it over). I got the shrimp popcorn tacos at an utterly eye watering €18.95 and it was a waste of money. If I wanted scampi and a catering bucket of coleslaw I could have taken myself to Lidl. I thought they'd have done something interesting with the coleslaw but nope so all you could taste was that. And the tortillas were not good on top of that. Whole thing cost a fortune and we left disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I got the shrimp tacos and thought they were gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I wasn't too impressed with taco taco. When we went on a Saturday around 6pm, there was one other table occupied when we arrived. The waiter's first words to us was "I could seat you but I need the table back in 1hr 15 min". Needless to say when we were leaving, there was maybe 4 tables occupied - 2 on either side of us. I don't understand this! There are tables all over the restaurant, why insist on sitting all parties right beside each other?!
    I had the chicken tacos, and my dining companion the super nachos. We shared the poutine fries. Now, the poutine fries were the saviour of the meal - they were amazing. I thought the mains were much too large and on the whole I found the menu expensive. I sent my chicken tacos back as the chicken was cold. I was then told it was the sides of the tacos which were making the chicken cold, so the separated the sides out from the chicken on the plate - I felt this was very unnecessary, and in a way condescending. It later took several attempts to get the wait staff's attention to request another drink and more water.
    My dining companion then ordered dessert even though we must have been pushing it on the 1hr 15 min limit at this stage - he ordered the ice cream with brandy snap and hundreds and thousands. This was lovely.
    The couple at the table to the left had the duck tacos and they looked and smelt amazing.
    Anyway I wouldn't be rushing back there.

cee_jay wrote: »
    I wasn't too impressed with taco taco. When we went on a Saturday around 6pm, there was one other table occupied when we arrived. The waiter's first words to us was "I could seat you but I need the table back in 1hr 15 min". Needless to say when we were leaving, there was maybe 4 tables occupied - 2 on either side of us. I don't understand this! There are tables all over the restaurant, why insist on sitting all parties right beside each other?!
    I had the chicken tacos, and my dining companion the super nachos. We shared the poutine fries. Now, the poutine fries were the saviour of the meal - they were amazing. I thought the mains were much too large and on the whole I found the menu expensive. I sent my chicken tacos back as the chicken was cold. I was then told it was the sides of the tacos which were making the chicken cold, so the separated the sides out from the chicken on the plate - I felt this was very unnecessary, and in a way condescending. It later took several attempts to get the wait staff's attention to request another drink and more water.
    My dining companion then ordered dessert even though we must have been pushing it on the 1hr 15 min limit at this stage - he ordered the ice cream with brandy snap and hundreds and thousands. This was lovely.
    The couple at the table to the left had the duck tacos and they looked and smelt amazing.
    Anyway I wouldn't be rushing back there.

That is shocking, particularly when they don't take bookings! I'd have told them to feck off and I like the place!

cee_jay wrote: »
    "I could seat you but I need the table back in 1hr 15 min".

Seems to be the norm, same thing we were greeted with when we arrived. An hour or so later we left an almost entirely empty restaurant. Got the feeling they weren't in a rush to get us out the door when I ordered my second drink though.

Went there Friday and there was no being rushed out the door or needing the seat back. Only problem was they said they're not doing Fish Tacos anymore which was very disappointing especially as it was still on the menu, though the Halloumi ones were very nice. The Crab Tostadas were great. Wasn't very busy around 8pm plenty of tables available.

Oh, be careful of the Hot Sauce on the table, i'm usually grand with high heat levels but that one I found way too hot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement