Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Acer Dead?

Options
  • 18-06-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi All,

Have an acer i planted in a large pot last summer. I can see buds where the leaves should be coming but there's no leaves coming through at all, some of the small branches have white tips at the end. Tree is about 2 feet tall and just wondering if it sounds like it's dead.

Can throw up a pic if that helps,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

How often do you water the pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

gets its fair share of watering a few times a week, don't over water it. I've had them before and never had this issue, As i said i can see the buds but no leaves coming. Have another one and it's full of leaves the past 8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Nearly always a root problem, what's the drainage like in the pot?
    Check if the plant is still alive by scraping a small strip of bark off with your nail, start at the tips of the branches and work inwards. If the layer under the bark is green then the tree is still alive and it is probably a watering problem, too much or too little.
    How big was the plant and how big the pot when you planted it, Japanese acers dislike being potted up into too large a pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

the pot is not that large, it's about 1.5 foot square pot. I've drilled holes in the bottom for drainage. Also i broke a small peice of one of the branches and it was green so there seems to be life. The buds are there maybe a couple of months but tree doesn't seem to have progrssed at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Did you put any drainage material in the bottom of the pot, like stones or gravel? Compost can actually compact and block drainage holes.
    If you think drainage is sufficient then give it a feed of fish, blood and bone and watch it over the next couple of months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement