Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitness vs Oral health

• 18-06-2015 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

http://www.dentist.ie/latest-news/irish-dental-association-highlights-dangers-of-hidden-sugars-in-%E2%80%98healthy-lifestyle%E2%80%99-diet.6708.html

I was reading the above article and it got me thinking. Any time I have visited the gym I have noticed that nearly every second person is taking some form of protein shake,dried fruit or sports bar. People sip these drinks constantly while in the gym itself. I see lines of beakers at the edge of the swimming pool. It seems to be nearly everywhere in exercise these days. Whey protein and similar products have become very popular especially amongst the younger generation.
    The most ironic part perhaps is that whilst at the peak of fitness they leave their oral health out of the picture. They focus on aesthetics by having a great body but neglect their teeth even though people are very conscious about their smile.

People I know of in swim teams and other clubs are being recommended by their coaches to purchase these type of products. Should the different associations be more health savvy with respect to oral health?

I would be interested to hear your views on this. Personally I only drink water after a session at the gym and find it adequate enough in quenching my thirst. However I feel that instructors/coaches and different associations should be more savvy about these products.

Do you consume products detrimental to your oral health during/after the gym 15 votes

Yes, always during or after a gym session
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, but only sometimes
    20% 3 votes
    No , never
    13% 2 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    66% 10 votes

Comments

Not on topic, but somewhat relevant; there's apparently a link between those that exercise outside and having bad teeth. Seemingly it's because of having your mouth open or other factors.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-unexpected-way-running-affects-your-teeth-92637973678.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't really see how oral hygiene/health and fitness are linked and more than oral hygiene/health and being alive are linked.

Brush teeth regularly, problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Whey protein and similar products

My Protein's vanilla flavoured impact whey protein has 1.3 grams of sugar per serving. Around the same as a milky cup of tea. Wouldn't bother me personally.

I don't think whey isolate from mp has sugar does it?
    Quest bars are low sugar but so many protein bars and premade shakes are loaded all right that's why i gave them up
    I have the occasional / rare lucozade if I'm half dead but that hits my sugar intake limit for the day!

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't think whey isolate from mp has sugar does it?

Yup, mp whey isolate has 0g of sugar.

• Advertisement

Anyway, the protein content in water isn't great and to get the extra protein content from food means eating more. As does getting in more calories to fuel training. Either way, you still need to brush your teeth regularly...but that goes for every member of the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Any whey I've brought has been low sugar (albeit with sweeteners), and most of the popular protein bars are sold as low carb?

Also, my hygienist and dentist both told me not to waste money on mouthwash - interesting that the press release is pushing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are taking about isotonic drinks, energy drinks not whey protein. Whey has almost no sugar.
    The op is pretty much inventing a "vrs" that doesn't exist.

55% of elite athletes had cavities.
    I'd hazard a guess that the general population would return similar results, or even higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Any whey I've brought has been low sugar (albeit with sweeteners), and most of the popular protein bars are sold as low carb?

Also, my hygienist and dentist both told me not to waste money on mouthwash - interesting that the press release is pushing it.

My dentist told me the same thing.

A decent toothbrush and regular flossing.

Mellor wrote: »
    They are taking about isotonic drinks, energy drinks not whey protein. Whey has almost no sugar.
    The op is pretty much inventing a "vrs" that doesn't exist.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all but they did mention protein shakes.
    Dr. Twomey wrote:
    “Clearly there are many benefits to adopting healthy lifestyles. However consumers have to be clear about what they and their children are consuming. Sports drinks, protein shakes,energy drinks, energy bars and fruit juices can contain anything from five to a dozen teaspoons of sugar. “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I don't really see how oral hygiene/health and fitness are linked and more than oral hygiene/health and being alive are linked.

Brush teeth regularly, problem solved.

I simply can't agree with this.
    I couldn't fathom going to the gym or a sporting event nowadays without seeing people sipping energy drinks of some sort or fizzy drinks and taking energy bars afterwards.

I see people often sipping. Sipping is the problem really because it increases the frequency of sugar intake! You are ending one acid attack and then starting another.
    Brushing your teeth is great however a lot of erosion caused by these high sugar drinks is irreversible and occurs quickly after consumption.

The problem I have is that there are coaches out there in clubs recommending and advising people to take these drinks and use the sipping technique. This is a bad habit to be teaching young people or infact anyone at all. I'll use the example of a competitive swim club I know who are doing this and and also recommending these energy bars that you can buy.

I thought it was definitely very obvious the amount of high sugar drinks been taken during exercise and foods afterward. Judging from the replies on this thread I see that others don't share my view, or so it seems.

I couldn't fathom going to the gym or a sporting event nowadays without seeing people sipping energy drinks of some sort or fizzy drinks and taking energy bars afterwards.

I see people often sipping. Sipping is the problem really because it increases the frequency of sugar intake! You are ending one acid attack and then starting another.
    Brushing your teeth is great however a lot of erosion caused by these high sugar drinks is irreversible and occurs quickly after consumption.

The problem I have is that there are coaches out there in clubs recommending and advising people to take these drinks and use the sipping technique. This is a bad habit to be teaching young people or infact anyone at all. I'll use the example of a competitive swim club I know who are doing this and and also recommending these energy bars that you can buy.

I thought it was definitely very obvious the amount of high sugar drinks been taken during exercise and foods afterward. Judging from the replies on this thread I see that others don't share my view, or so it seems.

A lot of the drinks you see people sipping aren't high sugar drinks.

You're probably better targetting the people who eat high sugar food all day long and who have no interest in fitness. You'd tackle more than just oral health that way.

Vegeta wrote: »
    I'm not disagreeing with you at all but they did mention protein shakes.

I know they said that, but to be blunt they are wrong.
    Protein shakes have very little sugar, certainly not the 5-12 teaspoons that they suggest. They grouped them in with energy drinks, which shows they haven't much of a clue, or are just being intentionally dramatic.

And I'm aware that there are high carb/sugar bulking shakes. But these are very different to protein shakes, they are used by a specific user, and they aren't sipping them usually.
    What drinks do you see people drinking at the gym?
    I'd say less I almost never see people drink fizzy drinks. Some have an protein drink or bar, and virtually none of your criticisms apply there.
    The issue is that you've view is misguided. You present whey as a high sugar drink. When, as pointed out above, it really isn't.

Energy drinks might have a high sugar content. But they aren't used by every casual gym goer as you suggest. Competitive athletes maybe, but that something that they are willing to accept for an edge. And when you look at their diet as a whole, it is probably a lot better than a typical person.

FWIW, sports caps on drinks reduces contact with the teeth, which reduces the impact of acidic drinks.

Protein shakes you get from a vending machine are pure sugar, maybe they meant that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I brush, floss and mouthwash my mouth everyday, dentist said my oral hygene was excellent the other week

key for me is flossing

I dont think fizzy drinks either

I brush, floss and mouthwash my mouth everyday, dentist said my oral hygene was excellent the other week

Probably down to DNA rather than what you do.

do you think so?

I think flossing is vitally important for oral hygene. I Could not imagine only brushing my teeth without flossing.

I do believe that poor oral hygene can also be from DNA and not just by poor standards of tooth care regarding brushing and flossing

do you think so?

I think flossing is vitally important for oral hygene. I Could not imagine only brushing my teeth without flossing.

I do believe that poor oral hygene can also be from DNA and not just by poor standards of tooth care regarding brushing and flossing

Whoooooosh.

oh. its like that then is it

troll the trollee?

:rolleyes:

bluewolf wrote: »
    Protein shakes you get from a vending machine are pure sugar, maybe they meant that
    They really aren't tbh.
    "Mass gain extreme" and "bulk-a-zoid" aren't whey protein shakes.
    And it's still the minority that drink them. As I said my issue is with the ridiculous generalised grouping of all workout related drinks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

This is one of the most ridiculous threads I've seen this year.

Breathing is bad for your body too because it exposes you to environmental pollution.

Athletes breathe a lot.

Stupid athletes.

Hanley wrote: »
    This is one of the most ridiculous threads I've seen this year.

Breathing is bad for your body too because it exposes you to environmental pollution.

Athletes breathe a lot.

Stupid athletes.
    Wow the lack of logic in your post is truly startling.

What's so stupid about this thread?
    Are athletes not damaging their oral health after exercise? Is the article completely wrong and there are no products out there detrimental to your oral health taken after or during exercise?

Look I'm sure everyone here is very healthy and that not every drink been taken is bad but are there not products out there being taken during exercise that are bad for your oral health.. In recent years there seems to have been a growth in the amount of products available.. All the different Shakes etc.. You can't think they could all be good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I'd imagine in the gyms @Hanley and @Mellor frequent, guys know their stuff on training on nutrition. In that kind of environment, from what I've seen there isn't too many lads slugging Gatorade.

A place you will see it is non athletes playing 5 a side, inter firms GAA etc. Oral health is not the main issue with this subset imo.

You will see a lot of leisure cyclist drinking huge about of sugary products, maybe runners to but I haven't seen it. Sure they'd be better off without it, but their teeth health wouldn't be the primary reason for omitting it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Are athletes not damaging their oral health after exercise? Is the article completely wrong and there are no products out there detrimental to your oral health taken after or during exercise?

Look I'm sure everyone here is very healthy and that not every drink been taken is bad but are there not products out there being taken during exercise that are bad for your oral health.. In recent years there seems to have been a growth in the amount of products available.. All the different Shakes etc.. You can't think they could all be good for you.

I'm not too worried about the oral health effects of 1 bottle of lucozade post workout when those same lads will go out and skull back 10 pints at the weekend. Tbh.

indeed. When people question drinking the odd bottle of lucozade here or there after a workout, you know its become full of try hards who would get better results training properly than ****ting their pants over a lucozade and their teeth :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Flossing is so boring

Plus isn't the magic fluoride that we take in with every mouthful of water gonna protect us?????????

one of the few things in life I genuinely love doing . Not joking either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

By your logic we should avoid eating and just turn all foods into juice then have it pumped into us via a tube as to avoid making contact with our teeth!

By your logic we should avoid eating and just turn all foods into juice then have it pumped into us via a tube as to avoid making contact with our teeth!

Ok ,I don't know how you managed to conclude that.

Here is what I am saying in very simple language for those who are confused.
    Sipping is bad.
    Coaches are recommending products to members.
    Not all of these products are bad.
    Some of these products are bad.

Maybe it's more prevalent amongst professional athletes.
    However in recent years a lot of different products have entered the market and have become popular amongst younger people.

• Advertisement

How this still applies to people with an interest in fitness is beyond me. Anyone that regularly consumes high sugar drinks are highly likely to be consuming other foods and drinks at least as bad for their teeth.

Being into fitness isn't the sole reason for poor oral hygiene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭EirWatcher

Sugary drinks while swimming may be the least of the problem. Swimming regularly in a poorly maintained pool alone can reduce pH and affect the enamel of your teeth.

just brush your **** teeth and you will be fine guys, honestly

I am going to abandon this discussion.
    Conclusions been drawn from nothing coupled with a poor standard of posting.

Bit harsh on yourself there but it's for the best.

Actually high sugar drinks aren't really that bad for your teeth. Although they contain a lot of sugar it actually leaves your mouth very quickly due to production of siliva and natural swallowing wink wink

It's foods like crisps that get lodged in your teeth and stay there for ages that are the real fecckers.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    It's foods like crisps that get lodged in your teeth and stay there for ages that are the real fecckers.

F**king Chipsticks.

if you guys had all the various flossing sticks, wax floss, standard string, little brushes etc you would not be worried about chipstix

I dont eat crisps anyway as they are pointless to me :confused:

if you guys had all the various flossing sticks, wax floss, standard string, little brushes etc you would not be worried about chipstix

I dont eat crisps anyway as they are pointless to me :confused:

But as a child a package of crips was great. Didn't matter that you couldn't taste them because they were solidifying in every crevice of your mouth. What's rare is wonderful.

true,

I just think very poorly of seeing an adult eating crisps. Not sure why. Even more so than an adult smoking

Just think there is something not quite right going on

I remember when they started selling Thai Rings in the school tuck shop.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭EirWatcher

I am going to abandon this discussion.
    Conclusions been drawn from nothing coupled with a poor standard of posting.

I can't post URLs. Feel free to google "NYU study swimming dental erosion"

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lazerwolf

Oral health is important. I'm not sure what this has to do with the protein shakes, though. Are they bad for your oral health?
    As for the protein shakes, I don't think they are necessary. You could get your protein from natural food.

oh wow, this is new revelations here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Lazerwolf wrote: »
    Oral health is important. I'm not sure what this has to do with the protein shakes, though. Are they bad for your oral health?
    As for the protein shakes, I don't think they are necessary. You could get your protein from natural food.

They are convenient that's all.

Lazerwolf wrote: »
    You could get your protein from natural food.
    You could of course, but that's not really a reason to avoid whey tbh.
    l had an apple, coconut and oat breakfast bowl today. I wanted to up the protein content so I added a scoop of whey. Of course it wasn't necessary, I could of added a tin of tuna.

Whey itself is natural btw, a byproduct of cheese making it comes entirely from milk.

Advertisement