Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media PC - To Work With TV

Options
  • 18-06-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Background

Just bought a nice HD TV and want to purchase/or have built a desktop and hook it up using HDMI.

The PC will be used for media such as playing movies, streaming, as jukebox and for web access via a wireless mouse/keyboard.

A large HD will be needed as I have a large music collection 200GB+ and wish to have room to store video files too.

1. What is your budget? €400 - Small budget but do not need powerful graphics for gaming so hopefully will be possible as am trying to buy a house an am skint!

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Media, video, music, web browsing.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [n/a]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Going to use a 50 inch 1080P TV

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No, should not be any need.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In the next 2 weeks]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Prefer to have company build it for me.

Thanks for reading and giving any feedback & help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pentium G3220 €60
    H61M board €60
    Bitfenix Prodidy €130
    2tb HDD €80
    4gb RAM €30
    300w PSU €40

That comes to €400

Should do rightly. Get a 1tb HDD or a cheaper case if you want to shave a bit off, people normally like the Prodigy for this type of build

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Pentium G3220 €60
    H61M board €60
    Bitfenix Prodidy €130
    2tb HDD €80
    4gb RAM €30
    300w PSU €40

That comes to €400

Should do rightly. Get a 1tb HDD or a cheaper case if you want to shave a bit off, people normally like the Prodigy for this type of build

Would it be better value to get something like this though?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271890858821?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Value, no, not even close. I would think it would be enough to get you by though. You can take €110 off my build by changing the case to a Zalman T4. For the sake of €40 is not worth the downgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

How about something like this:
    http://www.stuff.tv/fit-pc3-pro/review

I have one of these with SSD drive so its completely silent, you could put bigger disk or have external 2.5" USB for your media.

I have windows 7 with kodi on it and with wake on LAN enabled so with kodi app on mobile I can bootup, control it, shutdown etc rarely even need to use keyboard/mouse. I use mine for watching movies mostly and stream from NAS drive.

..seems like none available on-line but might be worth looking at Small form factor PC's on amazon there are lots of them out there.

Advertisement