Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training with music

Options
  • 18-06-2015 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

Read this on another site and thought it was interesting,

http://trstriathlon.com/8-reasons-why-you-should-turn-off-the-tunes-while-training/

The last while I've started training without music, 2 reasons really first was by choice, started doing my running intervals without music, found I was distracting myself from how it felt to run fast and come the race I wasn't prepared for how it would feel. Second my Ipod broke so had no option really Find it has worked well, or maybe I've got fitter and it doesn't hurt as much. But anyway, I find it's working. Long turbos are done with music but any type of interval stuff I'm trying to do without.

So does everyone else train with music? Curious for the long distance people in here especially.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Only ever listen to music on the turbo and then it's some kind of mad techno trance stuff that I wouldn't listen to in a million years otherwise.

Running I never use music, but always listen to podcasts. I find music interrupts my rhythm, especially bad when you're meant to be running easy. Plus, I like the podcasts, it's like having some company on your run. Only ever in training though, never wear headphones in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

during my interval trainings I would really rarely listen to music, sometimes on anaerobic ones and it would be something that pumps me up a bit, but during longer sessions like LSD trainings (or long bikes for that matter) I would listen everything from my favorite bands to charts or podcasts which I also find quite interesting and time kind of passes by quicker...

When I was starting off I had to stop listening to music at some point because I would almost freak on the race day since I wasn't used to the "quiet" bike and run, but after I got a better feel for it I don't have any problems anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Is running something that just happens or is it a skill you need to concentrate on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Is running something that just happens or is it a skill you need to concentrate on?

Music enables me to achieve transcendence so I can observe my running form as an out of body experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I suppose this is what I was getting at a bit, maybe by turning off the music we can concentrate more on the act of running rather than just running. (that sounds very posh!!)

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    I suppose this is what I was getting at a bit, maybe by turning off the music we can concentrate more on the act of running rather than just running. (that sounds very posh!!)

If you run with music and then stop listening and think about what you are doing as you run you will get less injuries and run faster. That is guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I would definitely agree with that, looking back at my training and comparing it to when the music stopped there is a clear improvement in speed. Significant enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I stopped running with music around 5 years ago or so. I found it too distracting. Now I just talk to myself :pac:

I use music on the turbo but never on the road. Strange the stuff that goes through your head when you're out for a solo 5 hour bike ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

If I've a specific session like intervals to do I'll more often than not do it without music. Otherwise I like to have a bit of noise in my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Usually listen to music while running solo, but never on the bike. I find stuff at 90 or 180 bpm keeps me in a high cadence and means I don't have to think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd only listen to music when doing easy or for part of a long run. Sessions, always without music. I'd lost focus on what I was doing with music.
    Rarely listen to music on the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Never on the bike.. thats just stupid IMO. You need your senses about you

Occasionally on the run, if I'm running a route I've done a 100 times before or if I'm a little low on motivation for a longer run. Happy Clappy stuff or power 80s

Nearly always on the turbo, or I'd fall asleep. I would purposely flick through tunes or put on a decent live trance set for work. Its also to drown out the noise. Bangin' toons. Recently found podcasts though and these help

Often on the ergometer. An hour at 20spm can be a chore without some sort of distraction. Anything will do but mostly dance or hip hop. Oncee rowing you don't really get a chance to chop and change without dropping the handle. Once I was in the middle of a 7-8 minute interval, the 3rd one, feeling the pain, had pushed through brainbug nightmare, 3 minutes to go, just.need.one.more.toon.... bloody Kate Bush Wuthering Heights!! Caz had been messing with my Ipod while on Mat leave.

Never on the bike.. thats just stupid IMO. You need your senses about you

Spoken like someone who doesn't cycle in traffic often......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i guess wrong title for the article
    better title would be pros and cons listening to music during training
    also roth allows music for the run
    joey100 wrote: »
    Read this on another site and thought it was interesting,

http://trstriathlon.com/8-reasons-why-you-should-turn-off-the-tunes-while-training/

The last while I've started training without music, 2 reasons really first was by choice, started doing my running intervals without music, found I was distracting myself from how it felt to run fast and come the race I wasn't prepared for how it would feel. Second my Ipod broke so had no option really Find it has worked well, or maybe I've got fitter and it doesn't hurt as much. But anyway, I find it's working. Long turbos are done with music but any type of interval stuff I'm trying to do without.

So does everyone else train with music? Curious for the long distance people in here especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    Spoken like someone who doesn't cycle in traffic often......

Spoken like someone who has crashed commuting often...

I commute in peak traffic like most others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

You have to listen to the notes he's NOT playing...

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Music (or some form of entertainment) on long turbo sessions is a must for sanity. At any other time its a disturbance/ distraction for me and can be dangerous at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I run 50% of my long runs with music but never on the shorter runs or intervals

Advertisement