Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Honor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

goon_magee wrote: »
    Tempted to get this, however my lack of ability when it comes to fighting games in general is putting me off. Anybody able to advise whether this is as demanding as a traditional beat em up or if the combat is anyway more accessible?

Cheers in advance!

I play Tekken and For Honor is no way near as complex as that or any other fighting game. For example the basic knight class has three 3 hit attack strings, a knock back and 2 variations of that knock back. That's it. Every character has a dodge, parry, directional block, attack feinting and a guard break/throw.

For Tekken I have to spend hours in training to find the best strings and their properties on block and hit and juggles and all that ****. Then I have to get at least a basic understanding of what every other character can do. In for Honor I spent like 10 to 15 minutes in practice and I was ready to fight other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Christ, I haven't heard Tekken mentioned in aaaaaggggggges

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Tempted to get this, however my lack of ability when it comes to fighting games in general is putting me off. Anybody able to advise whether this is as demanding as a traditional beat em up or if the combat is anyway more accessible?

Cheers in advance!

I am generally fairly crap at fighting games and I am finding the combat in this pretty accessible. Doesn't take long to get the moveset down and its more about the strategy of implementing the moves then, at least in the duels. Some of the modes can be a bit of a free for all.

Christ, I haven't heard Tekken mentioned in aaaaaggggggges

Tekken 7 coming out in June baby, after what seems like a 10 year wait. Can't wait

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Tekken 7 coming out in June baby, after what seems like a 10 year wait. Can't wait

Ill start warming up the Eddy Gordo moves :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Cheers for all the feedback lads, decided to take a chance and go for it based on what I've heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I play Tekken and For Honor is no way near as complex as that or any other fighting game. For example the basic knight class has three 3 hit attack strings, a knock back and 2 variations of that knock back. That's it. Every character has a dodge, parry, directional block, attack feinting and a guard break/throw.

For Tekken I have to spend hours in training to find the best strings and their properties on block and hit and juggles and all that ****. Then I have to get at least a basic understanding of what every other character can do. In for Honor I spent like 10 to 15 minutes in practice and I was ready to fight other players.

Correction. You were ready to fight bad players. Just like the flowchart kens are ready to fight other flowchart kens. The matchmaking in this is suprisingly good. It tends not to throw you in the deep end. Although if you play 4v4 there is usually one person a cut above the rest who never dies and goes 13-0. That cant be helped.

Like any "fighting" game, the difference between somebody with 2 hours play and 40 hours play will be stark. I'd wager if you played some of the high prestige guys out there you would struggle to even hit them once.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Just to add the first balance patch is on the way. Throw teching/guard breaking is getting a change after some community feedback. They will likely revert it to how it was in the beta.

Kirby wrote: »
    Correction. You were ready to fight bad players. Just like the flowchart kens are ready to fight other flowchart kens. The matchmaking in this is suprisingly good. It tends not to throw you in the deep end. Although if you play 4v4 there is usually one person a cut above the rest who never dies and goes 13-0. That cant be helped.

Like any "fighting" game, the difference between somebody with 2 hours play and 40 hours play will be stark. I'd wager if you played some of the high prestige guys out there you would struggle to even hit them once.

What i men't by that was that learning the moveset and nuances of a character is very easy and quick in comparison to a fighting game. Ofcourse there is going to be a massive "skill" gap between someone who has played 5 hours and someone who has played 50 hours, but my point still stands that its very easy to pick up and learn...Unlike a fighting game...
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Ill start warming up the Eddy Gordo moves :D

He has yet to be revealed that he is going to be in the game, or someone with his fighting style! But i'd be very surprised if they don't have a Capoeira fighter in the game

Have to say after a few hours playing that the feedback/input from those that replied was spot on, and I'm having a blast so far so cheers again.

The combat mechanics are obviously in depth to the point where high level play is quite clearly possible, but the barrier to entry is much lower than traditional fighting games. I've already had some success in the 1v1 duels which is more than I can say for any other pvp beat em up experience I've ever had, and even if I do find the 1v1 gets a bit much, I like that modes like dominion exist which let me feel useful even if I'm not dominating the top of every leaderboard.

Almost seems like the Overwatch or Titanfall of fighting games, sure there is a high skill ceiling but it's quite easy to jump in and have some fun regardless of skill level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Have to say after a few hours playing that the feedback/input from those that replied was spot on, and I'm having a blast so far so cheers again.

The combat mechanics are obviously in depth to the point where high level play is quite clearly possible, but the barrier to entry is much lower than traditional fighting games. I've already had some success in the 1v1 duels which is more than I can say for any other pvp beat em up experience I've ever had, and even if I do find the 1v1 gets a bit much, I like that modes like dominion exist which let me feel useful even if I'm not dominating the top of every leaderboard.

Almost seems like the Overwatch or Titanfall of fighting games, sure there is a high skill ceiling but it's quite easy to jump in and have some fun regardless of skill level.

If your looking to team up anytime your on Goon drop me an invite. I think you are on PS4 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Thinking of getting this on pc but i need a new joypad for it, mines all old and button jammy. I dont see anyone playing it on my friends list which is putting me off a bit is the peer to peer match matching crap as bad as it seems in the steam reviews ?

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Thinking of getting this on pc but i need a new joypad for it, mines all old and button jammy. I dont see anyone playing it on my friends list which is putting me off a bit is the peer to peer match matching crap as bad as it seems in the steam reviews ?

In regards to the p2p it's really not bad. I have 10hrs played Since the game launched and i have had zero in game lag. The only issue with the p2p is when whoever is hosting the game leaves and it migrates to someone else. Not since the beta have I felt like I was losing a fight because the other play or myself where lagging and warping around

i got it for 33 sterling on https://uk.gamesplanet.com/ not to sure what that is in euros but worked out cheaper than steam by a fair bit anyway.

jarain wrote: »

If your looking to team up anytime your on Goon drop me an invite. I think you are on PS4 too.

Heya man, yeah that sounds good, my psn is goon_magee, drop me a friend request and we can hook up for some games surely!

absolutely loving this game its great its like a mix of darksouls combat and some crazy **** i cant think it's just fun even when i loose i think well dam that guy was good. The player base does not seem so high at time's tho which is not good but im having a blast.

Only thing thing i dont get is that world map stuff where you attack defend area's it really needs to be explained better and why can you only deploy after a fight etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Was interested in this game down the line (damn you SuperBunnyHop) but this video has turned me off the idea.
    Is it that bad???

so far i only had maybe 3 bad fights due to p2p but most of the time its been fine on pc anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yeah really like the game but i was getting massive disconnection issues during the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Hey lads just wondering what this is like for single player. I know it needs to be always online but how do disconnects effect the single player campaign. Like each time the internet disconnects do you have to restart the game even on single player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Havent had any issues playing online, some disconnects etc when players leave but no pvp issues with players lagging around.

Also had some disconnects but not nearly as much as this video is letting on. Actual in game lag with teleporting/warping players has yet to happen to me since the game went live and i have 26 hours played so far. Happened a few times in the closed beta but not nearly enough to dissuade from buying it on launch.

This was all on PC...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

steadily getting worse each day, 2 betas and first few days of launch i had zero problems, then i started disconnecting a lot, then had player lag and now their servers (they have servers?) are down, sigh, really good game ruined by this crap

steadily getting worse each day, 2 betas and first few days of launch i had zero problems, then i started disconnecting a lot, then had player lag and now their servers (they have servers?) are down, sigh, really good game ruined by this crap

Haven't played in about 2 days but i heard about the connectivity issue's from reddit. It's been smooth sailing for me since launch but one thing that does bug me is people leaving lobbies. There should be some incentive to stay in a lobby after a game, like an XP bonus that increases after each game to a certain point or something along those lines. Having to re-queue after a 1v1 because the other guy doesn't want to face me again or takes his victory runs is damned annoying. And no doubt you will have someone leave a 4v4 gamemode. Actually there is loads of things they need to fix or balance but im lazy to type :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Diazou

Hello, i'm interested about this game but it's not repetitive after some hours? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Haven't played in about 2 days but i heard about the connectivity issue's from reddit. It's been smooth sailing for me since launch but one thing that does bug me is people leaving lobbies. There should be some incentive to stay in a lobby after a game, like an XP bonus that increases after each game to a certain point or something along those lines. Having to re-queue after a 1v1 because the other guy doesn't want to face me again or takes his victory runs is damned annoying. And no doubt you will have someone leave a 4v4 gamemode. Actually there is loads of things they need to fix or balance but im lazy to type :rolleyes:

There is good incentive to stay in matches. I have gotten some great loot from matches I have lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Hey when this happens does it mean the single player game can't be played also?

was fine for me most of time when i first got it but my god is it just getting worse any time i try to play constant re sync's and disconects i had 5 games in a row where near the end the loosing team host quit and we all got fecked over they need servers now its a joke at this stage. The game i think is amazing its always like ah just one more fight but this peer to peer system they have is the worst i ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I'm truly addicted to this game. It just gets better the more time you invest. It's like Street Fighter meets dark souls. Didn't expect to stick with it but it's got me sucked right in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Did they change something in the update this evening (installed before connecting to servers, not the large update the other day)?
    Game is unplayable, can't block or parry anything and to win you just need to spam quick lights left and right, it's terrible.

I really hope its my connection and not some sort of update to the netcode because if it is they've ruined a good thing.

EDIT:
    https://pvplive.net/c/for-honor-live-update-2-for-patch-103-fixes-server

**** sake
    I knew it.

Edit 2:
    Ok so quit game and signed back in and all seems good, different but nothing like it was. Thank feck for that i was getting withdrawal symptoms ha ha

Advertisement