Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Dip paid or unpaid?

• 18-06-2015 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Just looking for some clarification in anybody can help.

I'm thinking of enrolling in the September intake of Hibernia to become a primary school teacher. It was my understanding that once I finish the 2 year course I then have to work a h-dip consisting of 600 hours paid work.

Yesterday I was speaking to a NQT who told me that as of next year the 600 hour dip would be unpaid.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct? As it was doing the course and teaching practice was a stretch financially but this news would make it unworkable for me.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'm not a primary teacher so I don't know but that sounds like all kinds of wrong to me.
    First of all, I would have thought that the 'dip' is the teaching qualification (which is now a masters in the case of secondary teachers, not a diploma) and one you've qualified, you probably do have to do a certain amount of class time to be fully registered with the teaching council (as is the case for secondary teachers) but any post-qualification work as a teacher should be paid.

I can't be sure that this is the case for primary teachers but the situation you've described definitely sounds wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Just looking for some clarification in anybody can help.

I'm thinking of enrolling in the September intake of Hibernia to become a primary school teacher. It was my understanding that once I finish the 2 year course I then have to work a h-dip consisting of 600 hours paid work.

Yesterday I was speaking to a NQT who told me that as of next year the 600 hour dip would be unpaid.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct? As it was doing the course and teaching practice was a stretch financially but this news would make it unworkable for me.

thanks

1. Pay Hibernia the money, complete the course and graduate with a Professional Master of Education.

2. Register with the Teaching Council, you'll be registered under conditions that you complete all probationary and induction requirements within a certain timeframe. Any work you get should obviously be paid work. You'd be a qualified teacher, after all!

3. After completing all conditions, you go from conditional registration with the TC to full registration.

Probation used to be colloquially referred to as 'the dip' (I'm not sure why) and still is to an extent, but it is most definitely not any sort of diploma or additional qualification. It's a probationary period at the beginning of your professional career.

Advertisement