Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Deedsie wrote: »
    It is not blocking out one of your sense completely though? Also a car is fitted with additional safety features to minimise the danger caused by not being able to hear what's happening around you? Horn mirrors etc...

No it isnt.

Also, there was as study done recently that concluded that a driver in a car with the radio on can hear less than a cyclist with headphones. Was posted somewhere here IIRC.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but please don't assume that because you feel strongly about something the facts support you.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Eh because you can't hear the bus approach because of the headphones jammed in your ears? Cycle on the N11 between UCD and Dublin Bus, every morning there is a moron

Hearing the Bus or not hearing the bus isn't the point here. You are still a physical being on the road. What are you supposed to do? Where are you supposed to go if you hear the bus? If you are going to say "keep in" then that is more dangerous for you so no thanks. It's up to the bus driver to see what is ahead of him/her

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Headphones block out all sounds.

This is what you said. "All" sounds. I have never encountered a pair of headphones that are able to do that. Any i certainly don't buy cheap ones either.
    Even the best ones will let some external sound through

Ugh, they distract you unnecessarily is the point. You can't hear as well as you would without them.

Such a tiresome place to discuss anything.

Ugh, they distract you unnecessarily is the point. You can't hear as well as you would without them.

Well then make your point clearly and don't smear everything with half truths

Break it down for us here. If you're cycling on a road, say a meter out from the kerb, what are you claiming you're supposed to do if you hear or see a bus coming up behind you?

I always pull in as best as I can. I stop at the lights and let them take off first too. Depending on the section of road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭CiboC

Cycle on the N11 between UCD and Dublin Bus, every morning there is a moron

On that stretch the cyclist is in the bus lane because the cycle lane at that point is not only in dreadful condition but also far more dangerous to use.

The bike is perfectly entitled to be on the road, they don't have to vault out of the way of an onrushing bus just to get out of their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Car horns are distracting. Especially when the driver is just trying to get the attention of his mate travelling in a car in the opposite direction!

Billboards with advertisement for Wonderbras are distracting! and I certainly hope they don't ban those! :)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.mydaily.co.uk/media/2011/03/wonderbra-pa590aw310311.jpg

droidus wrote: »
    No it isnt.

Also, there was as study done recently that concluded that a driver in a car with the radio on can hear less than a cyclist with headphones. Was posted somewhere here IIRC.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but please don't assume that because you feel strongly about something the facts support you.

Send on the study, I never saw it. It's conclusions seem slanted though. Other factors surely need to be taken into account. Mirrors etc

I have happily agreed no study I know of supports me. My opinion that common sense would support me. It's in short supply unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Here is where someone has done comparative testing of what cyclists with headphones and drivers with/without music can here, complete with decibel measurements: https://rideonmagazine.com.au/an-ear-on-the-traffic/
    Their conclusions:
    1. A bike rider with ear-bud earphones playing music at a reasonable volume hears much more outside noise than a car driver, even when that driver has no music playing.
    2. A bike rider with in-ear earphones playing music at a reasonable volume hears about the same outside noise as a car driver with no music playing, but more than a car driver playing music.
    3. Ear-bud earphones set at a reasonable volume still allow riders to clearly hear the warning sounds of other riders.

My opinion that common sense would support me. It's in short supply unfortunately.

Funny i feel exactly the same way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

My opinion that common sense would support me. It's in short supply unfortunately.

Lord save us from 'common sense'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

No, but drivers wearing headphones should be.

What's the difference between driving with headphones and driving with a very loud stereo blaring?
    Eh because you can't hear the bus approach because of the headphones jammed in your ears? Cycle on the N11 between UCD and Dublin Bus, every morning there is a moron

Yes, every morning there is a moron, whether you have earphones in or not - so what difference do the earphones make again?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I always pull in as best as I can. I stop at the lights and let them take off first too. Depending on the section of road

Nothing that wearing headphones prevents there. If the road widens to let faster traffic overtake, you look over your shoulder and pull in slightly if there's anyone behind you.

Next one. What is it about wearing headphones that makes someone "sway in and out of the cycle lane"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Just to jump on a similar bandwagon to the h*-v* suppliers, I will now be marketing an audio soundscape for the conscientious cyclist.

The recording will come in a variety of formats (podcast stream, mp3, compact disk, minidisk, cassette tape, 8-track, vinyl disc, wax cylinder, etc.) and will comprise the sounds of rushing wind and a variety of approaching vehicles. The very latest technology will be used to provide a sterophonic doppler effect to the listener for maximum realism.

The rider will be encouraged to listen to this theater of sound at all times while in motion.

The intention with all this is of course to remind the conscientious cyclist that there are other vehicles on the road and that they should keep an eye out for them. Also, to remind them that even if you do hear a vehicle approaching from behind (imaginary or not), there is sneck-all you can do about it beyond your regular good road positioning.

Expect to see these recordings given out to every schoolchild in the country within the next six months!

Funny i feel exactly the same way

You honestly feel, you putting on headphones improves your safety and the safety of others while cycling a bike?

Hopefully it will be legislated soon enough, the wind seems to blowing that direction anyway. In the lifetime of the 32nd Dáil I would imagine legislation will be drafted on this. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Why are you focusing on how much a driver can hear? The whole set of involved senses is balanced off differently when you're sitting on the driver's seat and different when you're on a saddle.

One moves only arms and feet but has his head stable; the other moves the whole body.

Nothing that wearing headphones prevents there. If the road widens to let faster traffic overtake, you look over your shoulder and pull in slightly if there's anyone behind you.

Next one. What is it about wearing headphones that makes someone "sway in and out of the cycle lane"?

Not hearing them prevents doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

droidus wrote: »
    You're perfectly entitled to your opinion
    Only if he doesn't want to be taken seriously. If he does, then some facts to back up an argument are needed. So far, I haven't seen any.

I wish I effin knew, gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

You can't even keep your own story straight. I thought it was only completely blocking out a sense using these amazing imaginary headphones of yours that was the problem. The unnecessary distraction of listening to something like your car radio is fine.

You find it tiresome because we don't accept your nonsense at face value. We know your claim that headphone block out all road noise is rubbish. We know that there is no known connection between listening to headphones on the bike and increased risk. We know that claims that cyclists must not do anything to limit their attention whatsoever but motorists can listen to talk radio and play with their entertainment system because mirrors and driving licences is hypocrisy. We wonder rightfully even if we couldn't hear a car coming from behind exactly what we are supposed to do differently.

• Advertisement

You honestly feel, you putting on headphones improves your safety and the safety of others while cycling a bike?

No and no one here ever said that wearing headphones would improve your safety on a bike. Or is that not what you meant either?

I'm saying unless you are listening to music at earsplitting levels then there is plenty of external sound coming to your ears to help you navigate the roads.
    In the city where i cycle there is always traffic coming up behind you so hearing really is of little benefit. Its a cacophony of noise. All your other senses are far more important, including the aforementioned "common sense".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Not hearing them prevents doing that.

You can't rely on your ears to do that as you may not hear quieter vehicles behind you. You need to look over your right shoulder. And if you're pulling in a little, you need to check over your left in case another bike or motorbike are coming up inside you (some people actually do this).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 option

I have found good earphones to run/cycle, from Böse, it is possible to hear music and be aware of the environment, very nice!

The Government Chief Whip, Minister Paul Kehoe T.D., today, following Cabinet approval, announced the 2015 Autumn Winter Legislative Programme which continues to prioritise securing the ongoing economic recovery.

Speaking following the announcement Minister Kehoe said:

“The Government have today approved a Legislative Programme for Autumn Winter 2015 which sets out 34 Bills which will be published before the end of this year.”

“The Programme includes a number of Bills which will be central to the Government’s plans to secure the ongoing economic recovery. Budget 2016 will be an important feature of the Government’s economic plan and its legislative impact will include the Finance Bill, Appropriations Bill and Social Welfare & Pensions Bill. The Programme also includes Bills designed to support economic recovery including Companies (Accounting) Bill, Financial Services Miscellaneous Bill and the Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest (Amendment) Bill among others.”

“The Programme also outlines plans to introduce reforming legislation in areas such as Adoption, Heritage, Public Health & Alcohol and a number of Criminal Justice areas including Sexual Offences, Victims Rights & Corruption.”

“Over the last four and a half years in Government Fine Gael and Labour have worked together to focus on job creation and economic recovery while also introducing long overdue legislative reform across a number of Departments which were prioritised in the Programme for Government. Since March 2011 this Government has published 233 Bills and enacted 220 Acts.”

“Over the next number of months the Government will also progress a number of important pieces of legislation currently before the Oireachtas including the Marriage Bill, Criminal Justice (Burglary of Dwellings) Bill, Credit Guarantee (Amendment) Bill, Garda Síochána Policing Authority Bill, Assisted Decision Making (Capacity) Bill, Children’s First Bill among others.”

“The Government will continue to build on our record of legislative achievement and implement our Programme for Government commitments across a number of Departments right up to next year’s election.”

Hold on, what's that?
    Hopefully it will be legislated soon enough

We need to put all that to one side and tackle this non-issue that's having minimal impact beyond giving election seeking politicans a fit of the vapours.

endagibson wrote: »
    Hold on, what's that?

We need to put all that to one side and tackle this non-issue that's having minimal impact beyond giving election seeking politicans a fit of the vapours.

wait a minute, politicians... Seeking to be elected. The very nerve. It will come in as some tag on legislation. It will hardly be policed by AGS so I wouldn't worry about it. Still I remain hopeful that it will be added at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I remain hopeful, France have banned drivers and cyclists from using headphones. Irish politicians like to copy our European neighbours laws occasionally. Hopefully this law will be added to Irish legislation in the next round of road safety improvements.

Maybe they'll copy this one...
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33773868

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Cycling can get pretty tedious and boring.

To alleviate this, a lot of people choose to wear headphones and listen to music and they do so accepting that there is a compromise to be made between listening to music and safety on the bike. ...

They won't admit that though...

Instead they will defy reason and common sense and come up with endless spurious arguments to defend their position.

Problem is, we all wear headphones so we have all personally witnessed the impact listening to music has on our ability to hear ambient noise. I use them all the time for meditation for that specific purpose, they block out ambient noise.

I don't have an issue with people taking an informed gamble on their own safety but unfortunately this is never acceptable when it comes to road safety as it impacts everyone.

For the record, I cycle and drive. I would never wear headphones doing either.

YanisK wrote: »
    Well.. since the current road system is based on interaction, your senses are expected to be alert. If you choose to limit that, inconsiderate I think is the right word.
    ...your hearing sense is vital.
    I don't think you need your ears as much when driving car as when cycling...
    We're not referring to careless drivers, but to cyclists who feel comfortable cycling with one sense less.
    It is not blocking out one of your sense completely though?
    Eh because you can't hear the bus approach...
    ...blocking out one of your senses while travelling on the road will result in legislation...
    It's dangerous enough cycling in Dublin why would someone voluntarily make it more dangerous by reducing their awareness of what is going on around them.

Why do you two gentlemen hate deaf people so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

@Swanner, amen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

What about deaf people? Should they be banned?

Advertisement