Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Wear them all the time just pop them out if im at a dangerous junction where i need to hear approaching traffic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Would not use standard headphones, though if i wanted to listen to music i'd buy a set of these: aftershokzBone conduction headphones...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

victor201 wrote: »
    Wear them all the time just pop them out if im at a dangerous junction where i need to hear approaching traffic :)

I've never come across a junction so dangerous that I've had to remove headphones to HEAR traffic. If its dangerous I'd make sure i can see any other roadusers that might be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

A cyclist wearing headphones is still going to be far more aware of his surroundings than any driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

loyatemu wrote: »
    A cyclist wearing headphones is still going to be far more aware of his surroundings than any driver.

Why not call drivers cagers while you're at it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Why not call drivers cagers while you're at it...

Oooohh, who stepped on your accelerator :D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Would not use standard headphones, though if i wanted to listen to music i'd buy a set of these: aftershokzBone conduction headphones...

Friend of mine bought a cheap pair of similar headphones before, they worked but not great. Id like to give a more reputable brand a go, although I felt like Professor Xavier putting them on.
    Cerebro-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

BadCharlie wrote: »
    God help us when all cars are run on batteries

Don't joke about it. Electric mopeds are everywhere in China and an absolute nightmare to be cycling near. You have to adpat from listening for an engine noise to listening for a hack & spit noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd be partial to having an an auld tune in my ears when I'm cycling. But I only cycle in the city and I'm very familiar with the routes.

I can see why unimpaired hearing would be a major benefit on country roads, I'm not sure it would it would make any appreciable difference in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I've never come across a junction so dangerous that I've had to remove headphones to HEAR traffic. If its dangerous I'd make sure i can see any other roadusers that might be a problem.

Lucky for you that you have no such junctions then .i do have one where line of sight is not good so i use my ears as main sensory alert :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

i listen to music when cycling in town and sometimes when on open road if bored slightly or climbing lots. Didn't for years and just started recently, it hasn't made a difference in my opinion. Been badly knocked off the bike twice, once from behind and once from the front. My ears wouldn't have saved me for either knocks. Although, if i do ever feel unsafe my natural reaction is to pull them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Have worn headphones once on the bike, but the music I tend to listen to (aggressive and speedy) fired me up too much and I took risks I shouldn't have been taking. I could probably listen to something more soothing, but I have no interest in doing so, so instead I write short stories in my head on solo spins.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Never listen to music on a spin. I quite enjoy the peacefulness of no music.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I have always worn headphones while cycling either to work or going for a spin without any problems,I am also aware of my surroundings at all times do to the previous job I did as a tanker driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Trancechick

Trojan wrote: »
    I listen to either web & business related podcasts, or hour+ long trance sets (single large mp3, less hassle to get onto device).

I listen to my dictated college notes or trance sets. SoundCloud is excellent for long sets and it saves me rooting at the device. Noting like the build of a trance set to keep you motivated ;)

Like many others here I only have the left earbud in.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

I almost always listen to music/podcasts. I know it's not the safest but long cycles would be a real bore otherwise.
    Generally keep the volume low enough to hear when a truck behind me blows it's horn. (You have to be sensible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I hear more around me when cycling with headphones than I do listening to the radio in my car.

Don't put the volume too loud when cycling and you should be able to hear what's going on around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Headphones and music loud, ie Korn, Slayer, NIN, Prodigy, Buckcherry etc and can still hear good enough to be full aware of my surroundings.

My motorbike has an exhaust note which would waken the dead, and apart from my sight my car affords me no sense of hearing to outside noise.

I jog and lift weights to music too, I can't function without it ~ life would be boring to me without my music.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

YanisK wrote: »
    Personally I am both a cyclist and a driver. As a driver, I came across many cyclists wearing headphones (listening to music) who have no idea that a car is approaching.

Let me hear your opinions on this matter..
    As a driver do you ever hear cyclists ?

As a driver you'll appreciate that a loud radio can drown out all external noise. In fact the absence of external noise is used in advertising for cars

what's the point in cyclists having bells when motorists can't hear them ?

In practice you'd want to be stupid to have head phones that blocked car noise as effectively as cars block the noise of other traffic

but in theory that reinforces the Cycling is Dangerous and it's up to cyclists to get out of the way of motorists mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

last week I was behind a cyclist who was wearing large white headphones, as we aproached the Eastlink bridge I was aware that the siren was going off to alert traffic that the bridge was about to lift. The lights were red at this stage too. The cyclist with the headphones cycled on unaware as I repeatedly shouted "BRIDGE" at him with increasing levels of volume. He made it accross the bridge none the wiser. He cant have been in too much of a rush as he was watching the boat race when I passed him on the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I don't think that comparing hearing on the bike and hearing in a car is a fair comparison. In a car, on a single lane road (which most of our cycling is done on), you don't have other cars passing you in a continuous stream. You are part of the stream which, for the most part, is going at the same speed and in the same direction. If the car behind you is closer to the kerb than you, then that has no effect on your. The car behind you isn't likely to try to overtake you and then turn left straight away.

On a bike, you are being passed constantly. Drivers have to judge your speed to decide what to do if there is a junction coming up (for example). Hearing their engine and thereby judging their intentions is one of the tools that cyclists can use to determine what is happening around them. Cyclist observation around them is obviously important too, but you know more when you can hear too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

YanisK wrote: »
    Personally I am both a cyclist and a driver. As a driver, I came across many cyclists wearing headphones (listening to music) who have no idea that a car is approaching.

Let me hear your opinions on this matter..
    What's your opinion on this matter? rolleyes.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

On a bike, you are being passed constantly. Drivers have to judge your speed to decide what to do if there is a junction coming up (for example). Hearing their engine and thereby judging their intentions is one of the tools that cyclists can use to determine what is happening around them. Cyclist observation around them is obviously important too, but you know more when you can hear too.

But when you cycle in traffic in an urban environment you can't hear the traffic cos of the noise from the traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

I got a pair of Aftershokz headphones as a present.. was a bit skeptical of them but they are brilliant.. can hear music perfectly and leaves my ears free to her approaching cars etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

CatFromHue wrote: »
    But when you cycle in traffic in an urban environment you can't hear the traffic cos of the noise from the traffic!

I disagree. I can nearly always hear the car that is closest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Each to their own and although I've tried it a few times I don't use any headphones while I'm cycling.
    I cycle through Dublin city daily and I need all my senses alert to stay safe.
    My spidey senses just aren't enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I listen to an audiobook on low in my left ear. I can hear everything around me that way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I disagree. I can nearly always hear the car that is closest to me.

Fair enough.

I have to say though I assume there is a car there until I check to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Borderfox wrote: »
    Nearly got knocked down by a Nissan Leaf coming out of a driveway, needed a crystal ball for the electric cars
    Im sorry but that post made me smile, i dont know why. Obovously I dont want you or any other cyclist turned into an bumper ornament on a leaf or any other vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Have worn headphones once on the bike, but the music I tend to listen to (aggressive and speedy) fired me up too much and I took risks I shouldn't have been taking. I could probably listen to something more soothing, but I have no interest in doing so, so instead I write short stories in my head on solo spins.
    once upon a time there was a fckin hill.......

Advertisement