Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones Megathread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

endagibson wrote: »
    Off topic.

Off topic.

Off topic.

Off topic.

Anything else you wish to share?
    If you have a problem with a post or poster, report it and leave the modding to the mods

Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this warning it-thread

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Trojan wrote: »
    Having no headphones does not magically give cyclists superpowers. In city traffic it's nigh on impossible to distinguish where vehicles are by sound.

What's far more important is to look around regularly and know where cars are and where they're going in relation to your bike. Whether a cyclist is listening to headphones or not is irelevant.

Drivers, heal thyself: turn off your blaring radio, open your windows, stop doing 31km/h in a 30 zone, stop encroaching on yellow boxes, and parking in bike lanes. Do all that before you even consider coming after me for listening to a goddamn business podcast while I'm cycling.

That is slightly exaggerated...Superpowers? Its common sense and safe not to be using earphones. Im sure it might be safe in the likes of Mayo but Dublin is a different kettle of fish.

Im sure you will continue and i hope nothing happens to you or someone else as a result.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I doubt its any safer, again if my past experience is anything to go by, smaller towns make hearing even more important than in Dublin. A lot more pokey with less defined cycle tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Roadhawk wrote: »
    That is slightly exaggerated...Superpowers? Its common sense and safe not to be using earphones. Im sure it might be safe in the likes of Mayo but Dublin is a different kettle of fish.

Im sure you will continue and i hope nothing happens to you or someone else as a result.

Actually i'd say the opposite.

I don't wear earbuds in rural areas because its peaceful and pleasant to cycle there. Whereas in the city, there's so much noise, its nice to have some music to listed to. I don't wear earbuds when cycling on a group ride either..that's just rude!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Quarantine-style megathreads are a great idea.

I guess this one could be mentioned in the charter with the hi-viz and helmet ones?

That was quick, gadetra!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Nicely put. reduce the risk of an accident.
    It's actually risk compensation, namely that when people feel that they are more protected, they take greater risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I'd never rely on my ears. You always have to look.

Those damn electric cars are always sneaking up on people. They should have to have a speaker out the front blaring revving sounds.

What about deaf people? If hearing is a requirement should they be banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Actually i'd say the opposite.

I don't wear earbuds in rural areas because its peaceful and pleasant to cycle there. Whereas in the city, there's so much noise, its nice to have some music to listed to. I don't wear earbuds when cycling on a group ride either..that's just rude!

I wear them all the time country side or city but pull them out when I meet other cyclists on the country spins

traprunner wrote: »
    What about deaf people? If hearing is a requirement should they be banned?

I never said it was a requirement to allow a person to cycle. Im just saying that it is safer to cycle without earphones and those who have the ability to hear should use it for their own safety at least.

• Advertisement

I never said it was a requirement to allow a person to cycle. Im just saying that it is safer to cycle without earphones and those who have the ability to hear should use it for their own safety at least.

We are heading towards a world of electric cars. How would they be heard?

Can you give an example of where your ability to hear adds to a cyclists safety?

I'll start...your cycling along about a meter from the side of the road...cars are passing you by...your cycling into a headwind...the noise of the wind is deafening.. What difference dos a bit of: Led Zepplin's "whole Lotta love" make? What noise is the cyclist not hearing that is dangerous?

You are right but its not only a vehicle engine you hear. Somebody could be beeping to warn you about something or a pedestrian might yell to give warning to danger. In general you hear things around you so it could be the difference between causing and avoiding an accident.

The tyres! "tyre roar" is much louder than engine noise, especially when the roads are wet!

You are right but its not only a vehicle engine you hear. Somebody could be beeping to warn you about something or a pedestrian might yell to give warning to danger.

Ok, I'm baffled as to how a car behind beeping is warning a cyclist of any danger. I'd love examples.

In general you hear things around you so it could be the difference between causing and avoiding an accident.

So a cyclist is at fault for a car hitting them from behind...but only if they have headphones on, or are deaf, or if it is a windy day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Do you actually cycle?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The safety fallacy: Assumption that if a safety measure exists, then it is logical to take it.

You are right but its not only a vehicle engine you hear. Somebody could be beeping to warn you about something or a pedestrian might yell to give warning to danger. In general you hear things around you so it could be the difference between causing and avoiding an accident.

In my 18 years of cycling, neither of these has ever happened. Not even once. Perhaps cyclists should start carrying guns in case they get attacked by bears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I'm cycling with the earphones, never had any issues with it. If were talking about headphones being a dangerous thing to use while cycling we should look at the use of radio in the cars too. For some reason more and more things are deemed unsafe or at least tend to be regulated today more than they were 10-20 yrs ago, on some occasions probably without any good reason.

omri wrote: »
    If were talking about headphones being a dangerous thing to use while cycling we should look at the use of radio in the cars too.

It would appear to be far more dangerous in a car to have a radio on. So many people boogie in the car when their favourite song comes on and therefore lessens their control of the ton vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Does the sound of the car that's going to hit a cyclist sound any different to the car that passes the cyclist by ??

So a cyclist is at fault for a car hitting them from behind...but only if they have headphones on, or are deaf, or if it is a windy day?

That is a very poor perception of what i was saying. apportioning blame or fault in an accident is an entirely different matter. the examples given were just random scenarios showing how it is safer to cycle without earphones.

Synode wrote: »
    Do you actually cycle?

I was a cyclist. not for pleasure. I was a Dublin city commuter for 2 years. (2013-2014)

I was a cyclist. not for pleasure. I was a Dublin city commuter for 2 years. (2013-2014)

I think if I had only 2 years cycling experience, I too would be hesitant to use earphones. Especially if all my cycling was in Dublin traffic! I first started cycling with headphone almost 30 years ago. I learned to drive over 20 years ago, so maybe my cycling and motoring experience has shaped my opinion on wearing headphones?

That is a very poor perception of what i was saying. apportioning blame or fault in an accident is an entirely different matter. the examples given were just random scenarios showing how it is safer to cycle without earphones.

No, you said "In general you hear things around you so it could be the difference between causing and avoiding an accident." That is apportioning blame on a cyclist just because they can't hear. You explicitly link hearing and accidents.

Synode wrote: »
    In my 18 years of cycling, neither of these has ever happened. Not even once. Perhaps cyclists should start carrying guns in case they get attacked by bears

Why does sarcasm creep into these conversations?

As a seasoned veteran you of all people should be aware that a cyclist who is aware of their surroundings (sight and sound) is being safer than a cyclist who is not aware of their surroundings.

This conversation will go around in circles. The bottom line is that its not illegal yet and until there are statistics to show the level of danger involved there wont be any action taken to make it illegal.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I think if I had only 2 years cycling experience, I too would be hesitant to use earphones. Especially if all my cycling was in Dublin traffic! I first started cycling with headphone almost 30 years ago. I learned to drive over 20 years ago, so maybe my cycling and motoring experience has shaped my opinion on wearing headphones?

Possibly why i see it as dangerous.

As a seasoned veteran you of all people should be aware that a cyclist who is aware of their surroundings (sight and sound) is being safer than a cyclist who is not aware of their surroundings.

This conversation will go around in circles. The bottom line is that its not illegal yet and until there are statistics to show the level of danger involved there wont be any action taken to make it illegal.

I was awaiting your stats source when you said it was safer to be able to hear when cycling. I'm disappointed now :pac:

I am completely aware of my surroundings with or without headphones. You're still able to hear the outside world with earphones in, albeit a little less clearly. I have never once had to rely on my hearing while cycling.

• Advertisement

Possibly why i see it as dangerous.

It could also be interpreted as you having an opinion on something that you have no experience at.

Advertisement