Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So if I put wing mirrors on my bike can I wear earphones?

Yes! (if you check them frequently)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I'm curious, what are the no headphones brigade's take on deaf cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Diemos wrote: »

I'm not a brigade leader, but my feeling is that deaf cyclists know that they are missing out on information about their environment, and take steps to make up for that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They should put wing mirrors on their bikes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You can call them names and they won't hear you! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

I think deaf drivers need special devices to alert them for the likes of emergency sirens etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

https://axleaddict.com/safety/Deaf-People-Drive

Some stuff here about deaf driving in the States.
    First, some Deaf people use electronic devices in their cars that alert them, using a lighted panel, to sounds coming from outside the vehicle.1 Others simply pay attention to visual cues, such as the flashing lights of an emergency vehicle or cues from other drivers on the road. For instance, noticing other drivers move to the side of the road is a strong indicator that an emergency vehicle is approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Cycling and listening to music with headphones is SENSELESS.

c19130b010442a83592ce57920ccb0ae--safety-roads.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

RayCun wrote:
    Yes! (if you check them frequently)

Must work on my sarcasm!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Joe1919 wrote: »

c19130b010442a83592ce57920ccb0ae--safety-roads.jpg

Based on what? A picture? Any experience to add?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Based on what? A picture? Any experience to add?

SENSELESS = 0ne sense less (hearing road/traffic noises) when using headphones (pun)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Joe1919 wrote: »
    SENSELESS = 0ne sense less (hearing road/traffic noises) when using headphones (pun)

Ha that's actually quite clever!:D

What if a deaf cyclist is approaching a junction and there is another cyclist (wearing earphones) coming in the opposite direction? Accident waiting to happen? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

We all know that Deaf peoples other senses have been honed to compensate for the loss of hearing.

So they'd taste the other cyclist way before any accident would happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What if a deaf cyclist is approaching a junction and there is another cyclist (wearing earphones) coming in the opposite direction? Accident waiting to happen? 😂

I'd say it's likely that a tree would fall on them.

I'm have a conversation on Facebook about wearing headphones while cycling...Just got this reply from a guy who's deaf..

Kameron Kelly "I’m glad you asked cos I am a deaf rider.
    I can speak for the deaf riders, I’ve never had an accident and aware of traffic around me.
    I’d say a deaf rider makes more lifesaver checks than someone with hearing, a person with hearing only does it when needed, a deaf person does it more often.
    Normally I wear hearing aids but I do not when cycling, why? Because I choose to rely on sight.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 14 mins"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thebikebible/permalink/1738647122877361/?comment_id=1738683522873721&reply_comment_id=1739200716155335&notif_id=1511560395378434&notif_t=group_comment_mention&ref=notif

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

dub_skav wrote: »
    I'd say it's likely that a tree would fall on them.
    Would anyone hear it fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Grassey wrote: »
    "I've never cycled in London..." but looked on from inside my motor vehicle and decided it should be compulsory.

He should run for public office with that mindset!

It should be illegal to have earphones in, you are basically cycling deaf, can't hear cars/people/emergency sirens...Helmets not so much as there is little to no evidence they will help in a crash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Felexicon

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    "I've never cycled in London..." but looked on from inside my motor vehicle and decided it should be compulsory.

He should run for public office with that mindset!

It should be illegal to have earphones in, you are basically cycling deaf, can't hear cars/people/emergency sirens...Helmets not so much as there is little to no evidence they will help in a crash

So deaf people should be banned from cycling?

Felexicon wrote: »
    So deaf people should be banned from cycling?

Well that's a different thing altogether, people who are deaf live with it all the time. But thats off topic.

Try cycling around Dublin without earphones and then do it with them your'll be shocked the difference it makes. The lack of environmental noise certainly affects your level of awareness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

What are your thoughts on bone conduction headphones?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a whole thread dedicated to this. However, you're wrong.
    • People in cars have windows rolled up, and radio on. Can hear even less.
    • But they have Mirror's you may respond (I have eyes, and an ability to turn my head and see in nearly 360, more than you can in a car)
    • Unless I'm listening to some pretty heavy techno music, or metal music on full blast, with noise cancelling earphones, I'm hearing an ambulance, and I'm seeing the flashing lights.
    • Road noise is so often indistinguishable, and if it's even remotely windy can travel from all sorts of directions so relying on hearing can be next to useless.

What are your thoughts on bone conduction headphones?

If there is music/radio being feed through while your'll cycling they shouldn't be allowed.

As cyclists we give out about drivers lacking awareness of us or their surroundings, yet some of the same people think its ok to block out road noises which in turn reduces a cyclists awareness of their surroundings

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It should be illegal to have earphones in, you are basically cycling deaf,
    Well that's a different thing altogether, people who are deaf live with it all the time. But thats off topic.
    how the hell is it off topic, -what a pathetic cop out!
    If there is music/radio being feed through while your'll cycling they shouldn't be allowed.
    Then why are you singling out cyclists, why not ban all road users from having unnecessary distraction -including pedestrians of course, who the RSA call the most vulnerable road users along with cyclists.

Posts moved to headphones thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Try cycling around Dublin without earphones and then do it with them your'll be shocked the difference it makes. The lack of environmental noise certainly affects your level of awareness

Eh, no it doesn't. Not in the slightest

The lack of environmental noise certainly affects your level of awareness

It affects one sense I would guess. But the times I do wear headphones, I also find myself shoulder checking even more than normal and using visual clues more frequently. Hearing is compromised any out on a bike, but there are ways to compensate for it even with earphones.

rubadub wrote: »
    how the hell is it off topic, -what a pathetic cop out!

Then why are you singling out cyclists, why not ban all road users from having unnecessary distraction -including pedestrians of course, who the RSA call the most vulnerable road users along with cyclists.

Typically a deaf person has never had the ability to hear, so its not the removal of a sense, but i'm not a doctor, so can comment on how they deal without that sense, but someone who volunteer removes it to listen to music is putting themselves and other road users at risk.

Drivers shouldn't wear them either, and pedestrians on their phones are more dangerous, but thankfully they are on footpaths most of the time...Any cyclist wearing earphones will have zero sympathy from me in case of a collision

...off for a spin now, might hear some bird song:D

Rubbish! what earphones are you using? i've yet to find a pair that allow me to hear my music and nothing else. And as for sirens...only people who are 100% deaf from birth wouldn't hear those things! (Emergency vehicles also have big blue flashing lights! ;) )

• Advertisement

...off for a spin now, might hear some bird song:D

You won't hear birds if you exceed 15kph and you certainly won't hear them if there is a headwind.

Advertisement