Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think whether you're fined and to what degree you're fined should depend on what you were listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

As i've only a short commute to work i never contemplated listening to music or whatever whilst cycling,although i can understand folks choosing to do so.
    Are you less aware of your surroundings and thus more vulnerable with headphones in? Quite possibly.
    It's a personal choice and says a lot about a persons approach to risk.

I don't see cycling to work as a chore and i suspect this may be part of the problem,maybe folks who wear the headphones get bored easily and need to listen to music etc.
    As for wearing headphones on a weekend long spin, NEVER EVER. Part of the reason i love rolling around the hills of Wicklow & Dublin,apart from the scenery are the sounds of your surroundings,the calmness,the breeze,tyres on tarmac/gravel,the chain, the silence.
    Don't quite get why someone would want to drown that out but its their choice.

Seo iad mo chuid tuairími fhéin.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I think whether you're fined and to what degree you're fined should depend on what you were listening to.

No. Everyone has questionable songs that, if stopped at the wrong time, could land them with huge fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

@Bolloxology it's a personal choice indeed, but same was wearing a seatbelt or a helmet for example. Seatbelts and helmets became enforced by law over time for a reason :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

YanisK wrote: »
    @Bolloxology it's a personal choice indeed, but same was wearing a seatbelt or a helmet for example. Seatbelts and helmets became enforced by law over time for a reason :)

Probably because seatbelts and motor bike helmets (unlike earphones) have a particular impact on the safety of the person concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

If earphones are outlawed well all have mini bluetooth speakers attached to handlebars imagine the carnage that will cause no one will hear anything but everyone will hear us
    Daft thread kill it someone

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

Dangerous...but I cycle with head head phones.g

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

benneca1 wrote: »
    Daft thread kill it someone
    We're not going to "kill" a thread simply because a single poster considers it "daft". If you do feel as if there is any good reason to close it, report it or PM one of the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

I cycle to work with earphones and at night if I'm going for a spin around the park or one of my well lit routes I do and I have to say as a big music lover I absolutely love combining two of my favourite passions in life! I wouldn't class myself as a risk taker in general. I would also listen to music if I was to walk to work or indeed drive.

Weekend spins with friends and sportives etc I wouldn't ever wear earphones but cycling along late at night I find it very atmospheric and almost an emotional experience. I'd actually highly recommend it. Puts a big smile on my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It's quite legal to drive while listening to music with earphones...so why would anyone consider banning cyclists from doing the same?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Because earphones! You could be killed to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Because earphones! You could be killed to death.

Beasty died once after a crash while on the bike. Was he wearing earphones at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Personally I am both a cyclist and a driver. As a driver, I came across many cyclists wearing headphones (listening to music) who have no idea that a car is approaching.

Let me hear your opinions on this matter..

Much more concerned by the drivers (aka rolling death) listening to their tunes, texting, watching YouTube who don't realise there are cyclists approaching . I've promised myself a long time ago that I won't get sucked into this or the helmet discussion again . Plus I'm a driver there days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

RainyDay wrote: »

Quite a tasteless segue into the fatality yesterday at the end, but while we're there:
    Last year, 16 cyclists lost their lives on the State's roads and seven have been killed so far in 2015.

Is it that low? Seven? Also, was it not twelve killed in 2014?

Interesting quote:

"They set their earphones at such a volume that they are not aware of their environs," Mr Humphreys said."

If I set the volume so high that all I could hear was music...there would be blood pouring from my ears!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tomasrojo wrote: »

Is it that low? Seven? Also, was it not twelve killed in 2014?
    12 was the official figure, although my understanding is one death may not have been included as it happened several weeks into 2015 (but is also not included in the 2015 figure which currently stands at 9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Interesting quote:

"They set their earphones at such a volume that they are not aware of their environs," Mr Humphreys said."

I know he's a minister, with all the knowledge and wisdom that that requires, but surely even he cannot know what volume a cyclist, that has been reported to him by a constituent, has his/her volume set at.

PaulieC wrote: »
    I know he's a minister, with all the knowledge and wisdom that that requires, but surely even he cannot know what volume a cyclist, that has been reported to him by a constituent, has his/her volume set at.

Its quite possible to cycle without due care and attention with out listening to headphones. Its a red herring and I suspect could be used to apportion blame to a cyclist in the event of an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

The question that should really be asked of Mr. Humphreys publically is why does he not like deaf people. It could also be brought to the equality commission that he's proposing to ban deaf people from using cycle transport schemes in Ireland.

My earlier post suggested a possible hashtag that could be used.

Of course, this does not have to be isolated to Mr. Humphreys alone. Ruairi Quinn and Paschal Donohoe could also be asked the same questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

endagibson wrote: »
    The question that should really be asked of Mr. Humphreys publically is why does he not like deaf people. It could also be brought to the equality commission that he's proposing to ban deaf people from using cycle transport schemes in Ireland.

My earlier post suggested a possible hashtag that could be used.

Of course, this does not have to be isolated to Mr. Humphreys alone. Ruairi Quinn and Paschal Donohoe could also be asked the same questions.

I think that could be counter-productive. To do that would give credibility to the notion that wearing headphones is the same as being deaf. IMO its not the same. I wear headphone while cycling and I can still hear whats going on around me. I listen to music because the alternative is wind noise, tyre "roar", Truck air brakes etc.

In traffic its hard to hear behind you anyway with all the noise around you. Any sort of wind and that's all you hear.
    anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

But what if the headphones are HiVis?

Mind. blown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I was genuinely outraged when I read the headline as I used to, don't anymore through injury, go for long spins and listened to headphones.

When you look at the article though it's so muddy though.
    "I have made the offence of driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration a fixed charge offence,"

"All road users have a responsibility to behave in a way which is conducive to their safety and that of other road users.

"A cyclist that puts themselves or other road users at risk, by the use of headphones for example, could be considered to be driving without reasonable consideration."
    ----
    The enforcement of this fixed charge offence would be a matter for An Garda Siochana, he added.

A representative for the Department of Transport confirmed to the Herald that the use of headphones by cyclists is not a specific offence under road traffic legislation. However, they said it is at the discretion of gardai to issue fixed notices.

"An Garda Siochana can issue a Fixed Charge Notice for cyclists who are driving without reasonable consideration. It is their call to make," they added.

So is it or isn't it illegal?

Find out next time you're out on your bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CatFromHue wrote: »
    So is it or isn't it illegal?

Find out next time you're out on your bike!

It's not illegal. Every time someone mentions a pet peeve about people on bikes to Paschal Donohoe, he responds by saying something like: "well, we can always issue a FCN under the heading of 'inconsiderate cycling'".

I presume, technically, you would have to be a source of hazard or nuisance to others for this to really apply, but I assume a Garda who wasn't too fussy could issue it for anything at all, and most people won't challenge, for fear of the imposition of a greater fine upon going to court and losing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

that's true but he really muddy's the water every time, if he's said this type of thing before I don't know, he says that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Idiotic suggestion. Makes little or no sense. It's very irritating to read. What else are they going to come up with?

• Advertisement

What I'm intrigued by is where this sudden obsession among TDs about cyclists with headphones came from.

Advertisement