Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

maximoose wrote: »
    Yeah tearblast arrows are the business for the bigger machines!

At lvl 20 now, just after getting to Meridian. Really enjoying it more the further I get into it. Loving trying to stealth take down bandit camps.

How hard is the game on 'very hard'? I'm playing on hard and finding it a bit easy, lure + silent strike makes dealing with herds or groups of bandits far too simple but trying to avoid that now.

Yeah lure has been a gamechanger. The Tripcaster with Blast ammo has also gotten me out of a fair few scrapes.

I really need to get better at slow-mo aiming during slides. Sawtooths (Sawteeth?) are wrecking me as they're nearly always facing me head-on and I can't get a proper shot at their blast tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

I didn't really bother to look and so didn't realise that the different bows didn't simple have better stats and used different ammo. Went a long time without tearblast arrows :(

Annoying you need to upgrade the quiver for each different one.

Same here. Got my first tearblast bow/arrows yesterday....at level 16 :o. I kept hoarding my shards waiting for better gear from vendors. They make fights so much easier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I had to go fishing last night, fishing!! Needed bones and skins.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Where do you get these terablast arrows? I'm still using fire arrows LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Where do you get these terablast arrows? I'm still using fire arrows LOL!

You need to buy the shadow sharpshot bow the merchants. So handy for blowing off pieces of armour from those big ass machines

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Battleflag wrote: »
    You need to buy the shadow sharpshot bow the merchants. So handy for blowing off pieces of armour from those big ass machines

Is that merchant in a particular location or can you get it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Penn wrote: »
    Sawtooths (Sawteeth?) are wrecking me as they're nearly always facing me head-on and I can't get a proper shot at their blast tank.
    Learn to override them and they will fight for you. I got one yesterday under my control and he wiped out a whole pack of machines in nearby location while I was gathering seeds :)

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Learn to override them and they will fight for you. I got one yesterday under my control and he wiped out a whole pack of machines in nearby location while I was gathering seeds :)

Yeah
    I just did the first Cauldron last night and unlocked the new overrides. Haven't had a proper chance to test it out yet.

There are 3 merchants in the Meridian market, one of them is my go to for all weapons. Definitely bought it from him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I had to go fishing last night, fishing!! Needed bones and skins.

lol does aloy use a fishing rod that would be cool ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Lads I'm Lvl 8 and currently trying to complete 'the warchiefs trail' mission where I'm trying to clear the camp of killers. Finding it tricky enough. I haven't bought any extra weapons yet and am wondering what I should get at this stage to help? I'm Stealth killing as many as I can but when I get spotted I'm getting fairly blown out of the water!

pedatron wrote: »
    Lads I'm Lvl 8 and currently trying to complete 'the warchiefs trail' mission where I'm trying to clear the camp of killers. Finding it tricky enough. I haven't bought any extra weapons yet and am wondering what I should get at this stage to help? I'm Stealth killing as many as I can but when I get spotted I'm getting fairly blown out of the water!

You're probably underlevelled. Press the touchpad and open the Quests menu. It'll say what level you should be at.

Do some side missions and take out as many groups of machines you can for XP. For that particular mission, there's not really any additional weapons which will help you, stealth is still the best option. But by levelling up you'll have better resources, more health and just be more experienced overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is seriously incredible, what a world! I never wanted to find out what happened to a fallen civilization so badly before, I'm activating every bit of lore I can find whereas I usually just skim that stuff, I assume it's AI gone wild, maybe nanotechnology aswell with all the suicides in the starting cave, no spoilers please. So many incredible moments in every session, killing mobs never gets old.

The first time I saw those giraffe shaped machines with the saucer heads will go down as one of my all time great gaming moments, haven't clicked with a game like this since Witcher 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Penn wrote: »
    You're probably underlevelled. Press the touchpad and open the Quests menu. It'll say what level you should be at.

Do some side missions and take out as many groups of machines you can for XP. For that particular mission, there's not really any additional weapons which will help you, stealth is still the best option. But by levelling up you'll have better resources, more health and just be more experienced overall.

Yeah I felt that alright. I'm Level 8 and it says it's a level 7 mission. Maybe I'm just not good enough! haha! Thanks for the reply!:)

I'm not even on the left portion of the map so traders will definitely have it early on. It's tutorial quests are rated at level 8. I think all of the vendors have it but I got mine from the vendor at the hunting trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Most merchants would sell them, It's the Sharpshot bow. All Green weapons only have one type of ammo, blue weapons have two and purple have 3 types.

Currently at level 25 and haven't even reached Meridian and have a shadow tripcaster and shadow hunters bow. Blast trip wire is a must for the bigger machines along with tearpoint arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Some great sales figures for it...

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/horizon-zero-dawn-beats-zelda-to-no-1/0179703
    PS4’s biggest ever new IP launch

Not only the biggest launch of the year so far, but it's also Sony’s most successful launch since Uncharted 4.

Deserved. It's a fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Gentlemen, I have been sitting on the fence with this game as so many games are coming out this month. Can't afford them all between this ghost recon mass effect sniper elite for honor etc..

What is the general consensus on horizon zero dawn?

J. Marston wrote: »
    Some great sales figures for it...

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/horizon-zero-dawn-beats-zelda-to-no-1/0179703

Deserved. It's a fantastic game.

How is GTA5 number 3? That is even more impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

It's been on sale at 30 quid or less recently. Still impressive for a game that released last gen.

• Advertisement

I saw a piece recently , can't remember the number but it mentioned what it had sold in the last 6 months which was even more impressive given it's been out 3 years.

Something I saw as a tooltip on the loading screen was to keep shooting enemies with elemental until the icon above them is full. Hadn't been aware of that myself.

I don't think it's left the top 10 since release, or at least not for very long. It still sells in fairly huge numbers and Rockstar keep churning out additional free DLC for Online. They still make a bomb from those Shark Cards (in-game currency) with new players trying to catch up to regular players.

Gentlemen, I have been sitting on the fence with this game as so many games are coming out this month. Can't afford them all between this ghost recon mass effect sniper elite for honor etc..

What is the general consensus on horizon zero dawn?

They're all such different games that it's hard to say which would be better etc. What I would say is that in terms of reviews, Horizon got mostly extremely positive reviews, even from some critics who are normally quite hard to please. And most of what I've seen from those who have played it have had very few complaints.

I haven't played any of the other games you mentioned, but I'm loving Horizon so far anyway. The gameplay is rock solid, the story is intriguing and well presented, the enemies are tough aul' b*stards (but not unfairly so) and the map and graphics are among the best I've seen so far. It really is a terrific game, and I still feel like I've only scratched the surface.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to say, what I played in my friends place, Guerrilla have managed to produce their first good game with Horizon. It's totally derivative but it's not a negative because what it borrows from other games it does very well and the combat is way more solid than the majority of open world games. The only two negatives I have is that the story and script are garbage (but that won't spoil anyone's enjoyment) and it's no where near as good as Zelda (doesn't make it a bad game though). Also nice to see the team move away from boring Killzone greys and make a game that's so vibrant.

It's still a bit too derivative for me so I'll wait for it to be cheap but it's nice to be surprised.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have to say, what I played in my friends place, Guerrilla have managed to produce their first good game with Horizon. It's totally derivative but it's not a negative because what it borrows from other games it does very well and the combat is way more solid than the majority of open world games. The only two negatives I have is that the story and script are garbage (but that won't spoil anyone's enjoyment) and it's no where near as good as Zelda (doesn't make it a bad game though). Also nice to see the team move away from boring Killzone greys and make a game that's so vibrant.

It's still a bit too derivative for me so I'll wait for it to be cheap but it's nice to be surprised.

Pretty much on the money imo. It lifts wholesale from a list of games as long as my arm, chucks it in a blender and gets gold.

One minor niggle I'm having if that I feel the FOV could be a touch wider.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I hope it gets Guerrilla out of that Killzone slump and start making the games they want to make. Those games were awful but you can tell the guys loved making this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I hope it gets Guerrilla out of that Killzone slump and start making the games they want to make. Those games were awful but you can tell the guys loved making this.

I've only played the AI multiplayer mode in Killzone 2 with th sharpshooter but it seems like a decent game compared to the others.

Seems well reviewed too. Didn't really enjoy the first one though.

Shadow fall bored the ****e out of me in the first hour or 2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

So the time has finally come to get my thunder jaws stuck into this, or maybe they'll get stuck into me?

lSitkXv.jpg

Nicest cover art I've seen in a long time and that's a rarity these days.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    I've only played the AI multiplayer mode in Killzone 2 with th sharpshooter but it seems like a decent game compared to the others.

Seems well reviewed too.

The multiplayer was alright but single player was awful. It was like a shooter made in an alternative reality were 10 years of progression hadn't happened and devs were still putting in awful boss fights with glowing weak points. I guess reviewers were suckered in by the graphics at the time because they weren't so kind to Killzone 3 which was pretty much the same game.

Advertisement