Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Couple hours in now, I'm remembering why I don't play many open-world games. There's just so much crap on the screen, it gets overwhelming. The combat is great fun though and I'm looking forward to getting more weapons. Couldn't care too much for the story but it's early days on that.

A friend told me the voice actor for Aloy is the same woman who voices Chloe in Life is Strange and it's all I hear now, I can't stand that character :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Couple hours in now, I'm remembering why I don't play many open-world games. There's just so much crap on the screen, it gets overwhelming. The combat is great fun though and I'm looking forward to getting more weapons. Couldn't care too much for the story but it's early days on that.

A friend told me the voice actor for Aloy is the same woman who voices Chloe in Life is Strange and it's all I hear now, I can't stand that character :p

Use the dynamic hud.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Diazou

I have watched some videos of the game and i think i will buy it, i really love this kind of open world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Great game so far, really enjoying it.

Quick one there, think my PS4 is becoming faulty but is anyone else having issues with slow rendering of textures (e.g. loading map and approaching and talking to other characters)?

Loss of audio in some dialogues too?

Did a reinitialisation too but still the same, dodgy hard drive perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Arrrgh, thanks!!!

This was delivered while I was in work, playing it ever since I got home. Absolutely loving it so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Got the platinum trophy earlier this evening, what a great game. Definition going to pick it up again later this year for another play through

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

got it today, really enjoying it
    only 3 hours played but find story & characters good so far
    pretty easy but I did hear the difficulty ramps up pretty quick

I just got to meridian , I love that fact that you could likely sprint there but probably won't so it make the journey there feel like it's taken a sufficient amount of time since the proving. A+ for pacing there and I was expecting to be bombarded with side quests in the west to keep me from getting there but it just felt very natural in terms of the time it took me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Well thats honestly the most impressive game engine I've ever seen.
    I can see why Hideo Kojima wants to use it.
    How the hell are they able to get all the blades of grass, trees, foliage long draw distance and vast amoints of enemies on screen withinout frame rate drops?

Not only on a console, but also on the standard PS4.
    The visuals are just mindbogglingly good.

The gsme is addictive as hell also. I sank many hours in before people in the house started going to bed and i was shocked it was so late!

Doge wrote: »
    Well thats honestly the most impressive game engine I've ever seen.
    I can see why Hideo Kojima wants to use it.
    How the hell are they able to get all the blades of grass, trees, foliage long draw distance and vast amoints of enemies on screen withinout frame rate drops?

Not only on a console, but also on the standard PS4.
    The visuals are just mindbogglingly good.

The gsme is addictive as hell also. I sank many hours in before people in the house started going to bed and i was shocked it was so late!

Same, I'm absolutely wrecked this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wish I had more time to play it, but still not in a mad rush to bomb through the story. Enjoying taking little detours and running side missions.

I've reached the Daytower, but think I'm going to go back and do some weapon tutorials and the Bandit camp I think I skipped before proceeding further into a new area. I know how to use the weapons by now but want the XP, and can hunt for resources to upgrade/buy stuff. Plus got a side mission which requires going back to the previous area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Dunno if anyone else has come across the snapmaw yet, but sweet lord on a unicycle they are fast bastards. Abseiled off a tall neck in front of two of them and had to make a serious break for it. More rolls than a soup convention.

Also, because of glinthawks, I now hate all birds :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I've not had much time to play this due to work and doubt i'd finish it before Mass Effect comes out so i think i'm going to put it on my to do pile before i get much further into it. What i've played so far is great and looks savage in 4K with HDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Glico Man wrote: »
    Dunno if anyone else has come across the snapmaw yet, but sweet lord on a unicycle they are fast bastards. Abseiled off a tall neck in front of two of them and had to make a serious break for it. More rolls than a soup convention.

Also, because of glinthawks, I now hate all birds :pac:

Great arent they,I swear I love them the animation is spot on but they are really easy to kill on any difficulty.

Best thing to do is do all the story 1st and keep all the other side quests and errands until after the game as you get some UBER good weapons and armour right at the end.

I am doing it the opposite way around I am level 45 and barely done any story....

Some of those Hunting Trials are very hard to get top marks in.

Glinthawks pale in comparison to stormbirds, met one last night. Did not go well :(

Okay, couple more hours into the game and I am enthralled by the story. I've no idea what's going on but I need to know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Glinthawks pale in comparison to stormbirds, met one last night. Did not go well :(

Ahh here GHs are like budgies compared to the Stormbirds....2 fire arrows and the GHs are on the deck and then really easy to kill.

SBs are a nightmare....only thing I actively avoid when out on the doss.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but did anyone else find The Proving to be incredibly underwhelming? 12 years of training to kill one machine and go for a 2 minute race? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rain dripping off the character's faces is such a cool little detail. It's probably been in lots of other games but it really looks great in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

My one criticism so far (4-5 hours in) is the crouch button. So used to crouch being R3 (I'd always map it where possible) or at least the O button. Having it on the square is counter intuitive. The number of times I've tried to duck and ended up turning on force view or tumbling towards an irate machine is unreal.

When doing the first story mission I was level 6 but the machine was level 15, is this normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

OK,so have been playing away on this since launch on a Samsung 4K tv that was not HDR compatible,and yesterday,my tv got a software update,including,yep,HDR support.. and WOW is all i can say..

The Difference is just night and day..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

bigphil2 wrote: »
    OK,so have been playing away on this since launch on a Samsung 4K tv that was not HDR compatible,and yesterday,my tv got a software update,including,yep,HDR support.. and WOW is all i can say..

The Difference is just night and day..

Yeah, HDR is the main selling point of 4k TVs than the res bump up from 2k/1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Don't know if it's been mentioned but did anyone else find The Proving to be incredibly underwhelming? 12 years of training to kill one machine and go for a 2 minute race? :p

But without that training we wouldn't have been able to take the old abandoned route.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, it was more a plot device than anything else.
    Just to show the lengths Aloy would go to by choosing a dangerous pass in order to win.
    Would have preferred a few smaller trials leading up to it, like surviving against a group of Watchers for 2 minutes without attacking them or even some sort of target trial (hit dummies with arrows against the clock). Trials that could have been done even at the level you were at so early in the game without having unlocked weapons and skills, but just made The Proving more of a challenge.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Rain dripping off the character's faces is such a cool little detail. It's probably been in lots of other games but it really looks great in this.

Another one I noticed was Aloy's reflection in an NPC's eyes during a conversation. Was the woman at the hunters lodge I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I finally scrounged up enough schmeckles for this... 5 hour download :( but i want it noooooowwww

Rock breakers are officially the worst :mad:

I've only been able to take them out by staying at the edge of their range and chipping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Bolt Casters and Critical Strikes work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Loving this so far, I really need to give the witcher another go once I'm done.

The stealth mechanic seems to be bit over done, was able to pick off an entire camp at one stage hiding in the tall grass in the same spot, just got each bandit to come out one at a time. Nobody seemed too bothered about the ever increasing pile of bodies gathering in the same place.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    My one criticism so far (4-5 hours in) is the crouch button. So used to crouch being R3 (I'd always map it where possible) or at least the O button. Having it on the square is counter intuitive. The number of times I've tried to duck and ended up turning on force view or tumbling towards an irate machine is unreal.

When doing the first story mission I was level 6 but the machine was level 15, is this normal?

Too many times I've been in cover and I go in to the menu to prepare for my fight, swap weapons around... Do a bit of crafting... Etc. Then tap circle a few times to exit the menus ready for action and I roll out of cover

Advertisement