Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

Too many times I've been in cover and I go in to the menu to prepare for my fight, swap weapons around... Do a bit of crafting... Etc. Then tap circle a few times to exit the menus ready for action and I roll out of cover

This !!!! and me hitting square instead of X when told to do so on screen because I'm so used to Xbox controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Too many times I've been in cover and I go in to the menu to prepare for my fight, swap weapons around... Do a bit of crafting... Etc. Then tap circle a few times to exit the menus ready for action and I roll out of cover

This !!!! and me hitting square instead of X when told to do so on screen because I'm so used to Xbox controllers.
    First world problems eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I cant seem to turn this off. I'll do the tutorial i said... and now its 2:00am. Thats way past my bedtime :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This looks amazing, but it's going to have to wait until I finish Zelda Breath of the Wild on the Switch first.
    One open world adventure at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Been playing this several hours now. Just immersed in it in the first area, checking everywhere to make sure I'm not missing side quests, using lure and silent strike to OHK enemies.
    Starting to feel like that episode of South Park where the guys spend the summer killing boars in WoW for 1 xp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I hadn't been looking at the tutorial "quests" at all until lastnight, seriously easy XP to be earned there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

They should have left out the whistle lure and just left the rock throw or disabled both on the higher difficulty settings at least.

Looks at this CRAIC FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I find this game way too difficult. I just can't get my head around the gameplay style required for it.

Was doing the Metal Ring bit last night and 10 attempts just ended up in a cluster fup that eventually succeeded through dumb luck. I rarely feel like I have bested my foe through skill - more so through dumb AI and taking advantage of it.

Wish I'd thought of that when I was fighting the cauldron one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I find this game way too difficult. I just can't get my head around the gameplay style required for it.

Was doing the Metal Ring bit last night and 10 attempts just ended up in a cluster fup that eventually succeeded through dumb luck. I rarely feel like I have bested my foe through skill - more so through dumb AI and taking advantage of it.

Embrace the stealth :D

You got some overrides and the lure skill yet? At the very least you should be able to lure watchers from the pack and deal with them silently if you can't get an arrow to their eye. Use the bow that fires tearblast arrows to shoot off things like guns off of ravagers , you can them use those to wreak them. The normal sharp shooter arrows can 1 shot sawtooths if you hit the pack on their back. Use the blast and shock trip arrows and lure enemies into them for big damage. Use R3 liberally to better aim and time shots. Also use it to highlight weaknesses and weak spots.

Be careful with melee , because of the narrow fov you need to be sure you are going to hit something if using R2 attack and it can be tricky to see other enemies, if you stun the enemy and you've unlocked the override you can do that or r1 for a critical hit.

Mostly you can get by luring something over to you in the grass, override it so you have help or silent attacking if it's weak enough.

How far into the game are you?

When you unlock the higher concentration (slo mo - R3 on dualshock) and better weapons & modifications etc it all comes together.

You really cant just run and gun especially with alot of machines around, but trust me it wont belong till you are killing Thunderjaws for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Does anyone use the Striders to get around? I prefer just running through the world.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Does anyone use the Striders to get around? I prefer just running through the world.

Same but now you bring it up maybe I should be keeping one on hand. Can they fight for you if called or are they passive? Must check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Same but now you bring it up maybe I should be keeping one on hand. Can they fight for you if called or are they passive? Must check.

They can fight, but only if your on them, I think. Just use R2 and they do some sort of spinning heel kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

They do indeed fight, brought a broadhead into a camp with me and their kicks absolutely destroyed the bandit leader who was eating my arrows for fun :pac:

Edit: I wasn't on it at the time, was sat in cover and called it close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Yep defo do help. I dismounted my strider, started a conversastion with an NPC and started to hear some rucuss. When I exited the chat...there was my strider beside a dead watcher and strider. Happy days!

Slightly annoyed about earlyish spoiler
    Not being able to get back into village to get 2nd power cell

Yep defo do help. I dismounted my strider, started a conversastion with an NPC and started to hear some rucuss. When I exited the chat...there was my strider beside a dead watcher and strider. Happy days!

Found that out too after the fact, would have meant being able to get a certain something a bit earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

If you fast travel to the village
    and the gate to the mountain is closed, you need to walk out the main gate and walk over the bridge and the gate should be opened. It worked for me.

• Advertisement

Not anymore, it would seem to have been fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Not anymore, it would seem to have been fixed.

Fixed as in
    the gate stays closed forever now? I did it just yesterday myself and it worked fine.

Just got the Uber Weave armor and the new spear with the electrified shaft....mental altogether really good fun hammering everything in site. Also, did anyone else get the outfit that disguises you to all BIRD MACHINES???

Did not even know I had it until I was sticking on my new armor, so I picked it up off a kill coz I didnt buy it. Would be very handy against them bleedin stormbirds!!!

Level 51 now.

By level 12 should I be using better arrows than the initial normal and fire arrows. Im at a point where taking down 2 sawtooths at once is nigh impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I just took on two sawtooths to rescue some pleb... damn that was a battle. Im so worried about facing thunderjaws. Absolutely love this game I was up till 4:30 this morning playing and got up at 10:00 and have been playing all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

For anyone who likes Qwertee Tee's

https://twitter.com/qwertee/status/839959002695999488

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I just took on two sawtooths to rescue some pleb... damn that was a battle. Im so worried about facing thunderjaws. Absolutely love this game I was up till 4:30 this morning playing and got up at 10:00 and have been playing all day.

Was that the singing eejit on a rock in a lake. If so that's a good fishing spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

What's the cave beside mothers rise. Can I get down there. Level 8 at moment. Is it for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I was enjoying this but the difficulty spike in the second biggest part of the map the desert sand type area is crazy hard what were they thinking adding enemies everywhere like that?

I'm level 20 and just can't barely move without taking 2 shots and dying anybody else this way?

like im trying to hop on walker thing to unlock part of map Croc,bird and raptor Dino all coming at me at once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

biggebruv wrote: »
    I was enjoying this but the difficulty spike in the second biggest part of the map the desert sand type area is crazy hard what were they thinking adding enemies everywhere like that?

I'm level 20 and just can't barely move without taking 2 shots and dying anybody else this way?

like im trying to hop on walker thing to unlock part of map Croc,bird and raptor Dino all coming at me at once

Yeah I only ventured into that area for the first time last night, level 22 or so. Tough b*stards alright, especially when the Snapmaws and bird-things are both lobbing freeze bombs.

That being said, I don't think it's really that big a leap in difficulty. If you got to level 20 in the first area chances are you've already faced multiple sawtooths and bellowbacks.

Best advice I found from last night, keep varying your weapons. Use precision arrows to take out some of their longer range attacks, then tearblast arrows to remove armour, then lob them with fire arrows. When they're being burnt by the fire arrows, get closer, throw down a few blast wires near them. Rinse and repeat.

If you don't have some of those weapons or haven't used them a lot, go back to the first area and start collecting resources/shards and practice with them a bit.

Anyway, I took down my first Stormbird last night. What a beast of a thing.

Advertisement