Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Not sure how I managed it but I completed the final cauldron (zeta), before the 3rd one... Not that I'm complaining. A fight with a singular Thunderjaw was more manageable than I thought it would be. Though this time I was on equal terms level wise than I was in my first encounter with the T-Rex a like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Picked this up last night, spent 6 hours on it and only just finished the Proving, and got the ability to control the bots. Had to go to bed as it was 4am and i'd work today, but i am hooked. So far, it's been amazing, and i can't wait to take on the bigger enemies.

Question though, for the Sawtooths, is it possible to slide under the fecker and shoot the weak point? I tried a few times, with the slow time while aiming during a slide, upgraded to make it slower, but i keep getting hit!

Yes but you need to unlock the ability that enables concentration (slows down time)

Sawtooths are really easy to kill, 2 terablast arrows to the front of neck gets rid of cannons and radar then fire arrows to the body. As soon as you hit it once its starts bucking from the flames (keep firing fire arrowns) as soon as it stops it has about 1/3 of health left.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Glico Man wrote: »
    Not sure how I managed it but I completed the final cauldron (zeta), before the 3rd one... Not that I'm complaining. A fight with a singular Thunderjaw was more manageable than I thought it would be. Though this time I was on equal terms level wise than I was in my first encounter with the T-Rex a like.

Must say those cauldrons are great, sigma was brilliant.

They are great arent they, wish there were alot more puzzles along the way in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

This game is absolutley class. Just hours pass by and you find you've just be buzzing around hunting machines and collecting stuff for crafting and it's all so beautiful and never a drag.

The controls for combat are great and the notebook handy for planning your battle. Really love this game. On of best I've played on ps4 if not the best.

• Advertisement

How did I make it this far without knowing Terrablast arrows are the absolute business? I've just been using regular, fire and the tear arrows up until today. Man they make everything easier XD

Glico Man wrote: »
    How did I make it this far without knowing Terrablast arrows are the absolute business? I've just been using regular, fire and the tear arrows up until today. Man they make everything easier XD

Ha I said the exact same last week :D

Thinking about the game today another thing struck me, when Aloy heads off it really does feel link she's been away for months on end. Very few open world games achieve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Can't beat the boss in the cauldron, can't make precision arrows, and also the Boss just kills me straight away. Can't go back anywhere else. Game is broken now. Absolute bull****. So annoyed with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Can't beat the boss in the cauldron, can't make precision arrows, and also the Boss just kills me straight away. Can't go back anywhere else. Game is broken now. Absolute bull****. So annoyed with it now.

Can you go back to an earlier save point, level and gear up? Which Cauldron, I've only done the first one.

On another note anyone know if you get bonus xp for taking down an encampment without raising the alarm. Got 15K yesterday which seems like a lot. Few times guards didn't go down (darn elietes). I killed them before they alerted anyone. Far Cry used to have a mechanic like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Must say those cauldrons are great, sigma was brilliant.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    They are great arent they, wish there were alot more puzzles along the way in this.

What I love and it's an absolute credit to the designers (not necessarily a spoiler but will spoilertag anyway)
    is how they change the Cauldrons. The first two were fairly similar to the point where when I got into the third one I thought I knew what to expect, but then there were bandits everywhere instead of machines. Then with the last one, no platforming, no puzzles, no bandits or machines, just "BLAM! THUNDERJAW, B*TCH!" There were just the right number of Cauldrons and varied enough to keep them interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I did the side quest last night involving
    errand , where you have too find the killers of his sister and disarm the bomb
    what a great quest!

Nah mate, the boss will not do a thing until you climb the tower and overide platform.

Before that get some tripcaster lines setup. As soon as you overide the platform the machine will head that way so stick 5 fire tripcaster wires all beside each other...the minute the machine moves he will be hit for a hell of alot of damage. Do the same for the opposite side and run over there. Also use the yellow bottle of potion to give yourself x2 health.

Most of them cauldrons have a side with the platfrom in the middle you can run around use that to stop direct rampage attacks.

You can set up tons of traps before even hitting the platform mate.

Remember for all machine battles, 2-3 Terrablast arrows to the proper places (know your machines - stop the game and look in the notebook for all weak points) and then fire arrows.....then normal damage arrows. Make sure you set up all the bows and unlock the TINKER SKILL ASAP so you can chop and change mods as you find them.

Sigma cauldron?

Sigma cauldron?

Just youtubed that and it's the first one. Guy doing it was well overlevelled @lvl 39 and had waaay more gear than I had doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

When you bring up the map can you press up/down on the d-pad to cycle through the map levels? The top level should display the main map - might be able to fast travel to a camp-fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

nevelator wrote: »
    When you bring up the map can you press up/down on the d-pad to cycle through the map levels? The top level should display the main map - might be able to fast travel to a camp-fire.

:eek:

Did NOT know this.

It's saying "cannot fast travel at this time".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

You need to always keep a recent manual save for these instances afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Ahh, had never actually tried to fast travel from a cauldron. You don't happen to have any treasure boxes that may contain gear to hep craft items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

traded this in yesterday got 52 cash in cex

overall very good game can see it becoming a franchise for sure the story didn't impress me that much though

I'd wouldnt replay it again replaying open world games is too much of a chore and time consuming to play again

so mass effect next bring it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Are you out of fast travel packs. Also I think some main quests you have to travel across the map because of cut scene/voiceover stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Torn between getting this or Mass effect. Everyone here enjoying it?

weiland79 wrote: »
    Torn between getting this or Mass effect. Everyone here enjoying it?

Yes.

I'd also check out the Mass Effect thread as there are rumblings of disquiet. I'd certainly wait for some reviews before getting it.

Having a lot of fun with bomb trip wires at the moment. My damage output with the help of some + damage% upgrades is about 570 or there abouts. With 4/5 tethered in one spot it can take down most beasts. I really don't like Stalkers though... invisi-bastards.

Plus there was the time I tried to override one on the way into the Zeta cauldron but then quickly realised I hadn't done the cauldron to override Stalkers yet. Boy was my face red :pac:

Same thing happened with a Behemoth. I never learn...

Went back to an earlier save, had no choice. What is the best outfit to aim for, think I wasted money on a Nora Survivor Heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm level 16 just finished the carja border quest. Doesn't seem to be much side quests in this part of the map, am I ok to move on to the next area or should I try level up some more? Is there only the sigma cauldron in this "embrace" area or how do they work? Sorry for the all questions but don't want to spoil it for myself by searching online.

Loving it so far I have to say.

Went back to an earlier save, had no choice. What is the best outfit to aim for, think I wasted money on a Nora Survivor Heavy.

It's more what you have in it really, think I used melee damage mods. I did start off using a stealth set and swapping to heavy when I got seen but I got lazy and just left the melee protection on. If you have 3 slots you could use a ranged too.

I'm level 16 just finished the carja border quest. Doesn't seem to be much side quests in this part of the map, am I ok to move on to the next area or should I try level up some more? Is there only the sigma cauldron in this "embrace" area or how do they work? Sorry for the all questions but don't want to spoil it for myself by searching online.

I've just been doing the main quest and you stumble across side quests and errands as you go, doing them all as I find them. Don't worry about moving into next area. The other cauldrons will come later, once you override the tallnecks they'll show up highlighted on the world map

It's a good all rounder outfit. I'd say just level up more before trying the Cauldron again. Stock up on resources and upgrade ammo/resource pouches. Then when you face the end of the Cauldron again, you'll be better prepared, particularly if you can lay down some traps and blast wires in advance of activating the fight (take out the two Watchers first).

Keep following the main quest for another bit. You'll get to a place with a lot of side quests and from there you can start doing some of them to level up.

• Advertisement

Spent last night doing a few of the hunting ground challenges. Some of them are tough as f*ck.
    Trying to tie down and Crit hit Glinthawks while being attacked by other Glinthawks and if you're unlucky, Tramplers.

Advertisement