Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Stormbirds are terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

At first they are, but alot of the times there are trees around to help you. Stand behind them and they are clueless.....you need to get the ropecaster as soon as possible and all will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

The only thing I don't like about the game is the stealth mechanics. They're insanely unforgiving.

Ahh in fairness you get plenty of warning if things are about to go tits up, and most of the time there are only a few machines to deal with unless its a specific place to get a mission done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Take off the 2 disc launchers first, they're pretty easy with a Sharpshooter bow (tuned for tear) and tearblast arrows, with max-tear I could one-shot anywhere within about 5 feet or so of a launcher and off it would pop. That's by far it's biggest threat down, use the ropecaster to slow it then pick up the remains of the launchers and shoot it with them. If it's still alive knock off the mid-side armour and aim for the heart (open hole). That combo always worked well for me.
    You absolutely have to be tactical with them, pure attrition will fail (or chew up a ton of your resources succeeding).
    Get all the armour plates off before you waste the disk launchers, you can nearly kill them purely with the disks if you spend 5-6 tearblast arrows ripping off armour first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Started this last night, Im lvl 8 or so and my god this game is amazing so far.

Have to say not a lot to go back for after completing the game, but then again I am not into collecting all the little stuff for trophies etc.

Still an amazing game all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Have to say not a lot to go back for after completing the game, but then again I am not into collecting all the little stuff for trophies etc.

Still an amazing game all the same.

GG are working on an expansion so hopefully it won't be too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Holy Jesus! thunderjaws suck!

3 Freeze bombs or 5 ice arrows and sticky bombs when it goes frozen takes them out in under 20 seconds.

The one thing I'm not a fan of is the hunting trails. It follows a predictable pattern where nothing goes right and I fail until I breeze through them without any issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The one thing I'm not a fan of is the hunting trails. It follows a predictable pattern where nothing goes right and I fail until I breeze through them without any issue.

I did the first trail over the weekend and got gold in all three. Stupid quest isn't showing as completed though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah some of them can be a bit iffy. Some of them too you just have to ignore standard gameplay logic and just go balls to the wall to get it done and then run the f*ck out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I did the first trail over the weekend and got gold in all three. Stupid quest isn't showing as completed though!!

I have the 3 Full Suns in the 2 trials but they're still showing as active rather than complete. Possibly a glitch.

I have the 3 Full Suns in the 2 trials but they're still showing as active rather than complete. Possibly a glitch.

I think they show as active because, unlike almost all the other missions, you can replay them. So you can still choose to Activate the quest to go back and try them again even if you got full marks.

Hmmm I seem to have done the Mountain that fell mission without picking up the purple spear. God. Damn. It.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Level 18 now, I am in Merain (I think thats what its called) and I cant get enough of this game. Done a few of the side quests and my first experience with a thunder jaw was just wow. Altho he killed me I want to go back and murder him over and over now :D

Still using the default Bow, what should I be using?

Default bow is pretty strong particularly when you load it up with fire mods it makes mincemeat out of the little birds. I use the freeze catapult and sticky bomb launcher for the bigger machines. The Ropecaster is handy for those too.
    The snipey bow is good for mid-level machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Level 18 now, I am in Merain (I think thats what its called) and I cant get enough of this game. Done a few of the side quests and my first experience with a thunder jaw was just wow. Altho he killed me I want to go back and murder him over and over now :D

Still using the default Bow, what should I be using?

You should have the purple longbow? Use Tearblast arrows to rip off armour and weapons and stuff. That should massively weaken the 'saurs, incapacitate some of them.

Example: Using tearblast arrows on the crabby ones claws = no protective shield. Another tearblast arrow to it's underside destroys it's electric attack, knocking the crabby into sleep mode (if not destroyed) then it's an easy critical strike with your spear. Rewards.

You should have the purple longbow? Use Tearblast arrows to rip off armour and weapons and stuff. That should massively weaken the 'saurs, incapacitate some of them.

Example: Using tearblast arrows on the crabby ones claws = no protective shield. Another tearblast arrow to it's underside destroys it's electric attack, knocking the crabby into sleep mode (if not destroyed) then it's an easy critical strike with your spear. Rewards.

Purple longbow:confused: as I said whatever I started with :P I have normal arrows and fire arrows haha

You can buy the longbow and other weapons in Meridian Jonny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Finished the story and got the plat yesterday, never felt like a slog - really enjoyed the game from start to finish :)

Ah yeah, I only really took note of buying stuff since I got here last night, I got myself a new outfit with resist to all elements etc :D

I just got very confused with the weapons and decided not to buy any instead wait for you guys to tell me what to spend my hard earned coin on :pac:

Ah yeah, I only really took note of buying stuff since I got here last night, I got myself a new outfit with resist to all elements etc :D

I just got very confused with the weapons and decided not to buy any instead wait for you guys to tell me what to spend my hard earned coin on :pac:

Lazy ****ehawk.

Yeah, pick up all the Purples. If you can afford them. So much more choice for encounters with the bigger robosaurs.

Aye. Find some of the merchants and get some new weapons. Blue at least and purple if possible. The Hunter Bow and Sharpshot bows are the main priority.

The purple Hunter bow gives you Hardpoint arrows which can do more damage than standard arrows. Also allows 3 modifications to be applied so you can add more damage mods.

The Sharpshot bow gives Tearblast arrows (don't do a lot of damage but knocks off armour and weapons to allow you to do more damage) and Precision Arrows (better handling for hitting critical hits). Also harvest arrows which can knock off weapons easily and give greater resources to knocked off parts like Blaze and Chillwater.

You'll be amazed at the difference they'll make to the game. Far more strategic than just trying to lob standard/fire arrows all the time.

Lazy ****ehawk.

Yeah, pick up all the Purples. If you can afford them. So much more choice for encounters with the bigger robosaurs.

Its Mr. Lazy ***ehawk to you :pac:

Ill do some grinding later and buy a few of the purples so :D
    Penn wrote: »
    Aye. Find some of the merchants and get some new weapons. Blue at least and purple if possible. The Hunter Bow and Sharpshot bows are the main priority.

The purple Hunter bow gives you Hardpoint arrows which can do more damage than standard arrows. Also allows 3 modifications to be applied so you can add more damage mods.

The Sharpshot bow gives Tearblast arrows (don't do a lot of damage but knocks off armour and weapons to allow you to do more damage) and Precision Arrows (better handling for hitting critical hits). Also harvest arrows which can knock off weapons easily and give greater resources to knocked off parts like Blaze and Chillwater.

You'll be amazed at the difference they'll make to the game. Far more strategic than just trying to lob standard/fire arrows all the time.

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just get the shadow everything, and then you'll have more weapons and elements that you'll need, but probably are there for a very good reason. It's actually really interesting to get to learn which elements are most effective against which creatures. The hunting grounds are there for this reason, and i was having an awful time with Bellowbacks until the hunting trial including them, now i know how to murder them in under a minute. They really have the combat locked down in this, and i think that's the reason why it's so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Just started last night. Liking the hunting mechanics and it looks amazing.
    Any tips for a newbie?

weiland79 wrote: »
    Any tips for a newbie?

Take your time and enjoy. Don't rush anything. It really is an easy going game. Choose Dynamic Hud in the options menu. That's a must.

Side missions. Resource gathering is not a chore. Enjoy taking down the beasties.

weiland79 wrote: »
    Any tips for a newbie?

First perk - Stealth Kill
    Second Perk - Lure

You're welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think i hit level 19/20 over the weekend. Still haven't gone to Meridian :D

Only got my second Override as well. Quite a good little mission to defend the cart on the way up to the Cauldron.

Advertisement