Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think i hit level 19/20 over the weekend. Still haven't gone to Meridian :D

Only got my second Override as well. Quite a good little mission to defend the cart on the way up to the Cauldron.

I think i'm level 22 and still haven't gone there either. Also only have 2 over-rides, but apparently the order doesn't matter, because i didn't defend anything for either of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm sure I have all 4 overrides done. It took me ages to find the last one. I have the t-rex, bellow bosses and the human one certainly but can't remember the fourth. The only boss battle I've found difficult was the big machine down in a cave where you have to jump off a walkway. I died a lot of times there through stupidity. It's actually not that difficult a fight it just has loads of HP or else I was using the wrong tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm sure I have all 4 overrides done. It took me ages to find the last one. I have the t-rex, bellow bosses and the human one certainly but can't remember the fourth. The only boss battle I've found difficult was the big machine down in a cave where you have to jump off a walkway. I died a lot of times there through stupidity. It's actually not that difficult a fight it just has loads of HP or else I was using the wrong tactics.

The other one is snapmaw and ravagers.

None are particularly difficult and they offer a more tense experience than being out in the open world. They got the balance of them just right too. Not too many of them to make it a chore. Two of them very different to the others to keep it varied. A great addition to the game.

yea even the one I mentioned as difficult
    Death one - machine shot me off the walkway
    Death two - I fell off the walkway
    Death three - I jumped off the walkway but the rappel didn't activate.
    The boss itself just felt like it took ages to put down.
    The machines I have the most problems with is those invisible ones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

yea even the one I mentioned as difficult
    Death one - machine shot me off the walkway
    Death two - I fell off the walkway
    Death three - I jumped off the walkway but the rappel didn't activate.
    The boss itself just felt like it took ages to put down.
    The machines I have the most problems with is those invisible ones.

Yeah I had an invis sawtooth yesterady that annoyed me non stop but I eventually got the upper hand with him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

First perk - Stealth Kill
    Second Perk - Lure

You're welcome :)

I used 3 skill points last night not sure on what.

weiland79 wrote: »
    I used 3 skill points last night not sure on what.

I restarted the Witcher 3 as I screwed up my skill tree. HZD is far more forgiving but Lure and Stealth Kill make life a lot easier at the outset.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I bought the shadow sharpshot bow now. I have to get more wedge to afford a few more bits now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I came across my first Thunder Jaw. It should have been an epic moment but my Dark Souls instincts kicked in and I ended up cheesing him from behind a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I love the environments in this. It's pretty much by the numbers in terms of what's there (Forest, swamp, snowy mountains, desert, jungle) but it looks so good.

• Advertisement

jonnycivic wrote: »
    I bought the shadow sharpshot bow now. I have to get more wedge to afford a few more bits now.

Found I was running low on shards early on then all of a sudden I had 7000 and never had a problem again. You start picking up shedloads once you are taking down the higher level machines.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

J. Marston wrote: »
    I love the environments in this.

Yeah they're brilliant. The sounds are excellent too, anytime I'm scanning the area I always think something is coming up behind me. The whole place just feels alive (something Breath of the Wild could learn from :P).
    Found I was running low on shards early on then all of a sudden I had 7000 and never had a problem again. You start picking up shedloads once you are taking down the higher level machines.

That's good to hear. Only at level 12 myself and managed to buy the blue stealth outfit from some chap on the roadside, but shards seem to be thin on the ground at the minute. I'm still fairly crap at combat too apart from hiding in the tall grass, using lure and silent strike. I tend to avoid those saberpaw thingies. :D

So i decided to head to Meridian, even though i was intending on clearing everything on the way there first, but i encountered a Ravager, whom i hadn't met yet, so i cacked it and ran. Meridian is very well done, feels alive, and there's so much to do. I'm now sticking to the Hunters Lodge trials, as this means i need to complete all the Cauldrons in order to complete it (so far), plus the allure of what the merchant in the Lodge is offering (
    some unique weapons
    ) is making me go that route. I reckon once i've all this done, the remainder of the story will be a breeze.

For anyone that hasn't copmleted the game yet, do ye get the feeling that those metal arms going through different parts of the environment (ie: the ones around Mothers Watch or wherever the temple is) are something to do with the final boss?! Doc Oc with a vengeance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Is there a huge difference between the PS4 Vanilla and Pro versions graphics wise?

The reason I ask is, I want to get a 4K TV and Pro this year (not now - in a few months) and kind of want to experience this game in all it's glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Is there a huge difference between the PS4 Vanilla and Pro versions graphics wise?

The reason I ask is, I want to get a 4K TV and Pro this year (not now - in a few months) and kind of want to experience this game in all it's glory.

It looks amazing on the normal PS4. To the extent where at times I'm like "how the hell did they do that?"

I guess if you have a 4K TV it's worth getting the Pro for it.. but.. I don't.

shuffles03 wrote: »

To be honest, it's really the HDR that makes the game look as great as it does. It's more important than the 4K imo, so the vanilla PS4 will still look absolutely fantastic with the right TV.

Obviously have no idea what your budget is, but I'd say be sure you get a really good 4K TV as the priority, and upgrade to PS4 Pro if and when you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ive just gotten to Meridian, is there anywhere I can get a stronger base bow?

Buy the purple ones off the merchants :)

There's a bunch of merchants there. If you look at the map, some of their icons have Antlers with a star. They're more speciality merchants related to collectibles in the game. The ones with Antlers with a Crosshairs over them are standard merchants. They should all have most of the equipment that's available to buy, including weapons. You can get new bows from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Got a nice purple bow. Everything just got a little easier I just took on 2 snapmaws and a saw tooth and survived with most my health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Got a nice purple bow. Everything just got a little easier I just took on 2 snapmaws and a saw tooth and survived with most my health.

Ha same here.

28 hours in, level 24 and just killed my first ThunderJaw.....what a feeling, never felt anything like it in a game before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Ha same here.

28 hours in, level 24 and just killed my first ThunderJaw.....what a feeling, never felt anything like it in a game before.

Was about to post the same thing. Insanely epic fight, and what a feeling when it goes down.

Think I used about 100 fire arrows on that fecker!

Y'all be wise to invest in a catapult that fires freeze bombs or even the ice arrows (although this is much more effective when you get triple shot)
    Once you freeze the machines you'll do a ton more damage

So just encountered my first Rockbreaker. They are tough! Used all my 3 bars of health plus my 12 health potions before he went down!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

So just encountered my first Rockbreaker. They are tough! Used all my 3 bars of health plus my 12 health potions before he went down!

With the right gear you should be losing none of your life. Get a proper bows and arrows. Also if you can override machines nearby they'll be in help.

What a game this is. Finished my first cauldron earlier this morning, was a walk in the park until the end of it, just about survived. :D

Leveled a bit more an at lvl 20 or 21 now I think. Am I correct in saying that the purple bows and outfits are the same spec and price regardless of where you buy them from? I see a few of you have mentioned buying a new bow in Meridian - but I spotted tasty purple Sharpshot and Hunter bows in DayTower place and the same in a bandit camp merchant half way to Meridian - both cost the same. Thinking I might just buy the purple gear there rather than waiting until I get to the city? Have 4k shards to splurge.

Also, how to get my hands on ice arrows mentioned above?

Never thought of overriding the robos to help me out so thanks for that.

So went ahead and got the purple sharpshot and hunter bows and purple stealth outfit, lashed some mods into each. Have a blue war bow and ropecaster too. Started using more of the arrow types and the override. Those medium rope arrow things make taking down sawtooth's a lot handier now. Tearblasts are fricking awesome too! Feels like a different game almost, fantastic stuff. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Andrew76 wrote: »
    So went ahead and got the purple sharpshot and hunter bows and purple stealth outfit, lashed some mods into each. Have a blue war bow and ropecaster too. Started using more of the arrow types and the override. Those medium rope arrow things make taking down sawtooth's a lot handier now. Tearblasts are fricking awesome too! Feels like a different game almost, fantastic stuff. :cool:

I'm pretty much the same. Spent the first 20 hours or so just brute forcing everything. Starting to get under the surface of it now. It's not particularly deep for an RPG but there's still some nice build options.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    With the right gear you should be losing none of your life. Get a proper bows and arrows. Also if you can override machines nearby they'll be in help.

Have nearly purple everything, level 32 so no lack of previous battles, just hadn't met a rockcrusher before and didn't know the best way to tackle it. It kept diving into me, even after removing the ability to burrow, and if I was too far it lashed me with rocks which are quite hard to avoid. Just lack of experience against it is all, and it was a mission in a quarry so no other mechs around. I'm pretty sure I went about the mission wrong, as I didn't inspect something before it started (went in the wrong order) so there was a possibility that it would have been easier with an area explosion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Have nearly purple everything, level 32 so no lack of previous battles, just hadn't met a rockcrusher before and didn't know the best way to tackle it. It kept diving into me, even after removing the ability to burrow, and if I was too far it lashed me with rocks which are quite hard to avoid. Just lack of experience against it is all, and it was a mission in a quarry so no other mechs around. I'm pretty sure I went about the mission wrong, as I didn't inspect something before it started (went in the wrong order) so there was a possibility that it would have been easier with an area explosion.

I was around that level too when I took it on and needed a few goes at it. He destroyed me, very similar experience to yourself. I started baiting him into bombs then and that worked eventually but it was a lot harder than a thunderjaw.

Advertisement