Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Have nearly purple everything, level 32 so no lack of previous battles, just hadn't met a rockcrusher before and didn't know the best way to tackle it. It kept diving into me, even after removing the ability to burrow, and if I was too far it lashed me with rocks which are quite hard to avoid. Just lack of experience against it is all, and it was a mission in a quarry so no other mechs around. I'm pretty sure I went about the mission wrong, as I didn't inspect something before it started (went in the wrong order) so there was a possibility that it would have been easier with an area explosion.

Can you bring a couple of longhorns to keep him busy? I know, those bastards are tough, but I managed to get on without being damaged much just rolling sideways all the time, it would have been much quicker, for sure, to buy all the potions and accepts the damage, I wonder if you can override them, I have done all but one cauldrons and still a lot machines I cannot override.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Still haven't finished this as was side tracked by Witcher 3. Hadn't done the Ryo cauldron, was actually lost in the cave, got to the end and put tripwires EVERYWHERE, battle was over very quick.
    Got stuck at a puzzle. The one where the second door lock is upside down despite putting codes in correct the second door wouldn't open, once I put in the missing part and the lock stayed red, in the end had to go back to an old save get to the point again and it worked eventually. Broke my heart.
    First time I came up against the Rockcrusher was in some arena just outside a settlement. You can kill it from the settlement above the arena. One of the infected Zones has two of them which can be pretty rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I did that Rockbreaker mission in the quarry yesterday too. Died the first couple of times. Had laid tripwires everywhere but the rocks it throws kept destroying them and my traps didn't seem to be having any effect. Couple of times went through all my health potions and still died. In the end I cheesed it a little bit by hiding behind the shed where you examine the explosives and firing continuous triple arrows into it's weak spots when it came up from underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I cheesed that Rockbreaker mission by going back to the village and killing it from the safety of the cliffs. That was some sharp cheddar right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Without resorting to reading the thread for fear of spoilers is this worth getting?

• Advertisement

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Without resorting to reading the thread for fear of spoilers is this worth getting?

1000% Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yes, Deffo yes.

Not much replay value if any at all but its one of the best games around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

OK cool. Been on a bit of a gaming drought again recently and need something new that will be worthy of investing my time in. Might try pick this up by the weekend. Not heard any bad feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Denisoftus wrote: »
    ...I wonder if you can override them, I have done all but one cauldrons and still a lot machines I cannot override.

I finished all the cauldrons last night, and i can override everything except the corrupted ones. Had to do all the cauldrons anyway as you need the ability to override a Thunderjaw for one of the hunting challenges, of which i have completed all and have the shiny weapons you get for having all Blazing Suns. I really want to progress the story, but i'm constantly distracted by side missions and collectables which actually have a purpose.

Oh, and robbing the weapons from Ravagers and Thundermaws is a must. They are so destructive. I destroyed a Thundermaw with a Ravager cannon. So powerful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Oh, and robbing the weapons from Ravagers and Thundermaws is a must. They are so destructive. I destroyed a Thundermaw with a Ravager cannon. So powerful!

I wanted to use one after kicked it of a dying machine, but it so slow to walk with it so I dropped it and used arrows as usual, if only one can ride with it.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    I wanted to use one after kicked it of a dying machine, but it so slow to walk with it so I dropped it and used arrows as usual, if only one can ride with it.

I believe there's a perk that allow you to move faster with the weapons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I believe there's a perk that allow you to move faster with the weapons.

There is yep.

Had a mostly great session last night with the game. Stumbled across a level 27 Stormbird that I managed to kill (was lvl22 at the time), took ages but he didn't seem too dangerous. Decided to head to Meridian after that. Needed a Snapmaw heart so took a detour into some forest type area - during a fight with one of them I managed to crouch my way backwards into the middle of a group of trees (well, more like bamboo things) - got stuck. Couldn't jump or roll out or anything so had to reload to last save. Pain in the neck.

Anyway, manged to get to Meridian and picked up a purple ropecaster and warbow. Happy out. :D

Actually, a question - is 50 the lvl cap and do you stop getting skill points/xp once you hit 50? I have double and triple arrow skills to get next, but I figure I can just about get the Tinker skill after that just on hitting lvl 50.

Level 50 is the cap but you keep getting skill points after it. You'll have everything unlocked by 50.

That thing about getting stuck happened me early on. First mini-boss fight against that sabre thing. Had his path tracked, trip wires laid, all ready to go and it spotted me. As I was running down the hill I jumped into a little bunch of rocks I couldn't get out of. Ended up firing arrows, screaming at it to die, which surprisingly worked.

Saw a video on the Tinker skill saying you should get it early on but you don't really need it early in the game and it's debatable whether you do late on. Had been using the stealth armour and not really bothered with anything else although did swap to the ice armour for a boss fight and haven't changed back. There's nothing really op except for that level 25 mission that unlocks the best armour in the game.

Cheers. I forgot that you don't just get skill points for levelling, quests (main story ones?) give them too. Once I get the triple arrow I'll go for Tinker next, needs 12 points irrc. Have all the other good skills I think.

Yeah I read about that lvl 25 armour, defo want to try for that at some point. Just rocking a purple stealth outfit with mainly stealth mods. Haven't died too many times so far.

I'm level 41 and I need another 19 points to unlock all the skills. I've got all the Blazing Suns, so have the Skill Points from that, so i don't know where i'm going to get the rest after Level 50, unless they unlock with as of yet uncompleted or undiscovered missions/side quests.

Having the ability to override all creatures is definitely a massive help. Didn't realise that once you stun a creature, instead of doing a Critical Hit, you can override them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hate those stupid trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

They almost ruined the game for me. Pointless and unnecessary.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

They almost ruined the game for me. Pointless and unnecessary.

If you're going for the plat then yes. I've a bad feeling I won't get because of them.

• Advertisement

I haven't gone near them so hopefully they're not needed to finish the game. Don't care about trophies either. Up to level 28 now and still enjoying it, the combat never gets old. I just want to get my hands on that ancient armour suit and finish the main story. Then it's on to Nier and Persona 5.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I haven't gone near them so hopefully they're not needed to finish the game. Don't care about trophies either. Up to level 28 now and still enjoying it, the combat never gets old. I just want to get my hands on that ancient armour suit and finish the main story. Then it's on to Nier and Persona 5.

There not needed too finish the game there optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Why/What do you not like about them? Just out of interest.... I found them a refreshing change of pace from the action.

Its good you dont need to do them to finish the game and TBH the rewards you get where useless to me personally as I never overide anything lol. I always kill it....

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Why/What do you not like about them? Just out of interest.... I found them a refreshing change of pace from the action.

Its good you dont need to do them to finish the game and TBH the rewards you get where useless to me personally as I never overide anything lol. I always kill it....

I can't do any of them within the time limit to get the full sun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I found them all quite easy tbh, the only one that annoyed me was the ropecaster trial with the tramplers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Didn't find them easy, but there's a knack to them.

Hardest one by far for me was tying down the Glinthawks, which I think is the one you mean above, too.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

I think you're talking about the cauldrons, not the trials?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Cina wrote: »
    Hardest one by far for me was tying down the Glinthawks, which I think is the one you mean above, too.

I remember that one alright, getting a critical hit on them when tied down was a bit buggy - but the tramplers one was very annoying when I did it, took a lot of arrows to get the them tied down and then it seemed to not register a lot when I knocked the component of their bellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The trials can be a bit iffy. You can try and try several times and never even be close. Then the next time, you do it so quickly you didn't even realise you'd done it.

Best advice for the trials tbh, is to ignore how you likely normally play the game, and just go pedal to the metal. Even in the stealth one, run up to whatever you have to stealth and just hope you can stealth kill it before it properly registers seeing you. Don't kill anything you don't have to even if they're attacking you, just dodge and keep focused on what you have to do. And try scout as much as possible before jumping down the zip line. Wait for your objectives to be nearer to you before you zip down, or wait for non-objective enemies to move out of the way.

Just go for it, then get the feck out of there

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    The trials can be a bit iffy. You can try and try several times and never even be close. Then the next time, you do it so quickly you didn't even realise you'd done it.

Best advice for the trials tbh, is to ignore how you likely normally play the game, and just go pedal to the metal. Even in the stealth one, run up to whatever you have to stealth and just hope you can stealth kill it before it properly registers seeing you. Don't kill anything you don't have to even if they're attacking you, just dodge and keep focused on what you have to do. And try scout as much as possible before jumping down the zip line. Wait for your objectives to be nearer to you before you zip down, or wait for non-objective enemies to move out of the way.

Just go for it, then get the feck out of there
    And be prepared to take damage, it's practically unavoidable in some of them, so stick on the right armor type (e.g. ice, fire, melee) and throw on the right potion, and have health potions and medicine ready to fire on.

As you said, it's all about speed so you need to sacrifice taking hits for legging it to the objectives as fast as possible.

Advertisement