Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just the one expansion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

really enjoying the expansion, HZD as a whole is one of my favourite games of the past decade and probably the best game on the PS4, pity there isn't another DLC on the way, it will be probably be years before we see a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I have no problem if they take years, as long as it's as good as the first one. They've the ground work done though, so it should be quicker to create a sequel, but again, take the time and make it good! Don't go all Assassins Creed on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Such a good expansion this is. 15 hours for 20 quid is a bargain. And it's not just a rehash of the main game, all new area, dinobots, story and they've made it even more beautiful.

Considering the recent backlash with EA it's nice to see a contrasting company like Guerrilla (and Sony companies in general) still doing things the right way.

Finished it recently. Loved it all. With regards to the story; at one point near enough to the beginning, you discover a bunker and the audio tapes reveal that people seemed to have chosen to die in these bunkers. I remember a line from Aloy questioning why. I'm not sure if it was explained, but who were they?

Something I thought was excellent was that you could miss so much by not talking to characters; Rost's story, for example, was only revealed if you chose to talk to Teresa after exiting the bunker near the end. It rewarded you for exploration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished it recently. Loved it all. With regards to the story; at one point near enough to the beginning, you discover a bunker and the audio tapes reveal that people seemed to have chosen to die in these bunkers. I remember a line from Aloy questioning why. I'm not sure if it was explained, but who were they?

Hard to know exactly as it's been a while and I'm not sure which bunker it is, but at a guess I'd say
    they may have resigned themselves to the fact they were going to die in the bunker, as opposed to choosing to. With the exception of the team Elizabeth Sobeck created for Zero Dawn, people in some of the other bunkers were put to work on the operation they thought was going to save everyone, but was really just buying Sobeck's team time to complete their work. I'm guessing the bunker you're talking about was one of them and they came to realise they were going to die in there. Or maybe they were ones who knew about Sobeck's plan and that they were going to die.

It's one of the things that really surprised me about the game. The story is surprisingly deep on the surface, but even deeper when you start getting into audio files and datapoints.

Also, don't know if you have done so yet or not, but it's worth visiting Aloy & Rost's home after finishing the story.

One of my favourite audiotapes is as follows:
    I can't remember who it was, but it was one of the Alphas (I believe) talking to his wife. Saying how much he loved her. Talking about the death tolls, how he wished it was less, how they wanted to be together. If you proceeded down and listened to another audiotape, you'd hear the exact same one as earlier, but edited, taking away the grimmer parts and making it seem more lighthearted. Again, when you explore and listen to more tapes, you come across one from the wife, saying that what she got doesn't sound like him at all.

It just really rewarded you for actively going out and finding these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Later in the game it mentions
    a lot of folks working on ZD decided not to go to Elysium as offered and chose suicide instead. It doesn't go into details then as to why but other conversations show there was a lot of guilt, depression and just not wanting to live out more years in an underground box

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Later in the game it mentions
    a lot of folks working on ZD decided not to go to Elysium as offered and chose suicide instead. It doesn't go into details then as to why but other conversations show there was a lot of guilt, depression and just not wanting to live out more years in an underground box
    Oh you're probably right. I knew that had been mentioned (one of the Alphas chose that route instead), but wasn't certain if it were them. You found those particular recordings on dead people's bodies, so it looked like they died where they lay.
    This particular section happened in the early part of adult Aloy's story.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Do I really have to quit this game (Frozen Wilds dlc) over the second Shamens Path puzzle. Literally no clue what to do. Not even walkthrough videos help :(

• Advertisement

The light beam thing? Videos really should help.

Finished the DLC tonight actually and there's a worse one later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ah here if I can do them when drunk with a YT video you should be able to do it sober

Also
    fúck Fireclaws. When those bastards stand up on their hind legs, it's actually scary.

They are driving me insane

Is it worth a purchase? The DLC.

Is it worth a purchase? The DLC.

Apart from that puzzle I’m enjoying it. So yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

My GOTY arrived from Amazon on Saturday, Next up after evil within 2 is finished.

Messing around with photo mode. The level of detail is absurd. You can actually the see the reflection of what Aloy is looking at in her eyes when you zoom right up...

DQ-OrU4W4AE-7jm.jpg:orig

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

^ opened thread and five minutes later was still staring at the picture, think it hypnotized me

Someone put up a gif on Reddit recently of the Frozen Wilds.

When -

Playing Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds when I noticed Guerrilla Games actually rendered the grass under the snow.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jjxXB

Now that's an insane amount of detail.

• Advertisement

All done. Such an amazing game. The DLC was great fun too.

After completing the main story it always tells me I the next quest is the last one. So the game looks as if it’s not completed. This happen anyone else?

bot43 wrote: »
    All done. Such an amazing game. The DLC was great fun too.

After completing the main story it always tells me I the next quest is the last one. So the game looks as if it’s not completed. This happen anyone else?

Yeah, that's the way it's designed. I think it's to let you go back and collect everything and still be able to replay the final mission. For example there's a trophy for having all possible NPCs join you in the final fight which I didn't get the first time round because I'd missed some of the side missions and so didn't meet one of the required NPCs, so it allowed me to go do that side mission, replay the final mission and get the trophy.

I think it's also to avoid having to include any post-story content. Since it's an open world game, characters will now still be at the stage they were before the final mission, rather than having to create content or dialogue set after the main story.

Apologies if this has been posted before (I did try a search).

I got the "Complete Edition" for Christmas, and it says on the box that the following bits are included:
    • Carja Trader Pack
    • Banuk Traveller Pack
    • Nora Keeper Pack
    • Carja Storm Ranger Outfit and Carja Mighty Bow
    • Banuk Trailblazer Outfit and Banuk Culling Bow

I've gotten the first three on the list from the first trader (Karst) in the game, by trading the appropriate tokens to him. But the last two... I can't find them at all. I've no tokens in the "Specials" section of my inventory. I thought there might be a PSN voucher code, but I only got one for the digital art and the PS4 theme voucher code.

Any pointers?

Update:
    Just needed to play a little further into the game, another merchant had it then. I guess they don't allow you to have those items too early in the game.

Apologies if this has been posted before (I did try a search).

I got the "Complete Edition" for Christmas, and it says on the box that the following bits are included:
    • Carja Trader Pack
    • Banuk Traveller Pack
    • Nora Keeper Pack
    • Carja Storm Ranger Outfit and Carja Mighty Bow
    • Banuk Trailblazer Outfit and Banuk Culling Bow

I've gotten the first three on the list from the first trader (Karst) in the game, by trading the appropriate tokens to him. But the last two... I can't find them at all. I've no tokens in the "Specials" section of my inventory. I thought there might be a PSN voucher code, but I only got one for the digital art and the PS4 theme voucher code.

Any pointers?

Are they in Treasure Boxes in your inventory?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Interesting doc on the game and Guerrilla Games as a whole.
    Must get back into this game, if I can find the time :(

Penn wrote: »
    Are they in Treasure Boxes in your inventory?

Thanks for the help, but they weren't there. I just needed to play further into the game, and they were available at another merchant.

Is this planned to be part of a series? I hope so

Is this planned to be part of a series? I hope so

Definitely. I'd say the next one is likely being developed for PS5 though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Penn wrote: »
    Definitely. I'd say the next one is likely being developed for PS5 though

I'd say they'll get 1 more in for the PS4 and the 3rd one will be PS5.

• Advertisement

I'd say they'll get 1 more in for the PS4 and the 3rd one will be PS5.

I dunno. I'm half expecting a PS5 announcement early this year (well, 2018, almost this year) with release for late 2018, but even if that's pushed back a year and PS5 is releasing late 2019, that'd still only be 2.5 years since the release of the first game. I'd say given how well the game has done, Sony could push for them to develop it solely for the PS5 as an early launch title. I think they need a game like that to be a launch title given how p*ss poor the launch lineup was for the PS4.

I know it might not take so long to make the sequel given they already have the engine and assets, but at the same time I don't think they'll want to rush it and might keep it as the ace up their sleeves, letting Last of Us 2 be the final swansong for the PS4.

Advertisement