Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Got the GOTY version and when I downloaded my saves from the cloud of my original playthrough I'm back in the deep secrets of the Earth mission where Helis catches you. Seems very strange as I'd completed the game. Wonder can I go from here to the new content or will I have to complete last few missions again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

sweetie wrote: »
    Got the GOTY version and when I downloaded my saves from the cloud of my original playthrough I'm back in the deep secrets of the Earth mission where Helis catches you. Seems very strange as I'd completed the game. Wonder can I go from here to the new content or will I have to complete last few missions again?

You can do the DLC without completing the game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Penn wrote: »
    I dunno. I'm half expecting a PS5 announcement early this year (well, 2018, almost this year) with release for late 2018, but even if that's pushed back a year and PS5 is releasing late 2019, that'd still only be 2.5 years since the release of the first game. I'd say given how well the game has done, Sony could push for them to develop it solely for the PS5 as an early launch title. I think they need a game like that to be a launch title given how p*ss poor the launch lineup was for the PS4.

I know it might not take so long to make the sequel given they already have the engine and assets, but at the same time I don't think they'll want to rush it and might keep it as the ace up their sleeves, letting Last of Us 2 be the final swansong for the PS4.
    Just imagine the next edition was full VR 😎

When should I tackle the Frozen Wilds expansion? I can see the map marker to kick it off, but I'm wary of spoilers (I haven't yet completed the main story).

Will it ruin the main story if I go at the DLC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

When should I tackle the Frozen Wilds expansion? I can see the map marker to kick it off, but I'm wary of spoilers (I haven't yet completed the main story).

Will it ruin the main story if I go at the DLC?

I'd complete the main story first. I haven't started the expansion yet, so don't know about there being any spoilers, but I'd complete the main story first regardless. The story is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

What level are you at? If you are anything below 40 I would stay away. It doesn't impinge on the main story at all.

bot43 wrote: »
    What level are you at? If you are anything below 40 I would stay away. It doesn't impinge on the main story at all.

I think the recommendation was about level 30 but you may want to be higher

There are a couple of mentions of characters from the main quest but nothing that would spoiler you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Not sure about playing it after the main story. If you do, you might miss out on dialogue with a main story character and possibly their background story.

Not 100% sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Saw this was added to the PSN January sale, €29.99 for the complete bundle is too hard to pass up!

DLC down to 12.99 on it's own.

• Advertisement

Finished the main quest line last night.
    • Ted Faro... I can see his motives, but what a colossal idiot. :P
    • I know they need to keep some mystery around Sylens, but I think he was overly vague (origin, motives, etc). Also, why is he so "robotic"? Just started the Frozen Wilds, so perhaps that will expand a little.
    • I saw the "true" ending where Sylens catches Hades in a lantern-type object. I actually found that to be a little bit of an anti-climax, and almost a cheap route to a sequel.
    • Who woke Hades? My money is on the inhabitants of a previous "iteration".

Overall, a very engrossing and well paced story. Really enjoyed it.

• @Wilfinity not clicking the spoilers but how long did it take you to complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished the main quest line last night.
    • I know they need to keep some mystery around Sylens, but I think he was overly vague (origin, motives, etc). Also, why is he so "robotic"? Just started the Frozen Wilds, so perhaps that will expand a little.

Overall, a very engrossing and well paced story. Really enjoyed it.
    Robotic in terms of appearance or personality? You do learn a bit more about him in TFW. Not a huge amount, but fills in some gaps. Personality-wise, I think he's just so inquisitive about the past and technology etc that he basically hasn't really had much human contact with people for several years, other than manipulating them into helping him or using them to further his goals. He's a great character though, and I look forward to learning more about him in future games. Also helps that I love the actor who plays him too.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    @Wilfinity not clicking the spoilers but how long did it take you to complete?

The in game clock has 73 hours ( :eek: ). That was taking my time, and to 100% completion.
    Penn wrote: »
    Robotic in terms of appearance or personality? You do learn a bit more about him in TFW. Not a huge amount, but fills in some gaps. Personality-wise, I think he's just so inquisitive about the past and technology etc that he basically hasn't really had much human contact with people for several years, other than manipulating them into helping him or using them to further his goals. He's a great character though, and I look forward to learning more about him in future games. Also helps that I love the actor who plays him too.
    Personality. And I like your explanation.

• **** me, I just don't know if I can invest that sort of time anymore

**** me, I just don't know if I can invest that sort of time anymore

You can get through it quicker if you just do the main story but I would still say it's at least 30 hours.

I was probably around the same as Wilfinity. I also did 100% and took my time enjoying the world. It really sucked me in and made me want to explore and find out the backstory

Slacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I platinumed in about 46 hours, I think. Main story like matrim said you could probably get through in about 30, allowing for some side missions and challenges to help keep you at the right level as you progress through the main story. I did start fast travelling a lot, mainly just to avoid using up too many resources if I got into fights along the way.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The main quest will take you less than 20 hours if you don't bother with any of the other stuff. I felt the majority of stuff outside of the main storyline bar a couple of side quests was standard open world filler anyway so there's really no need to do it unless you really want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

1 year in

25799768167_63ceb1714a_h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thought I knew this game inside out but I never heard of a Rattler...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I feel kind of bad we've killed almost 2 billion watchers. PETA must be going mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Picked up the complete edition of this last week. Been playing through slowly, few games before work is all I have been managing so far. Very early in the game, just going after the first sawtooth I think it's called. Liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thargor wrote: »

It's like a machine gun, but a terrible one.

Thargor wrote: »
    It's like a machine gun, but a terrible one.

Well, in the right hands, in the right situation, it's still sh1te.

I've been absolutely loving this game. I'm still early enough in it. Did a cauldron, killed my first fire bellowback (I think it's called) at the end of it albeit after a few attempts. So I'm now on the mission where I've to clear out three bandit camps. First two were easy. Presumed third would be the same. I start sniping when
    a load of corrupted scrappers turn up. Ah balls I say but this can be done. Next thing two flying yokes (glint hawks) turn up shooting ice at me. Never seen either a flying machine or any ice machine yet in the game and it decides to throw not just two of them at me but two corrupted ones and four scrappers and two watchers. I managed to kill one of them just and killed by the second.
    Had to turn it off or I'll stay up all night. Loving it. Has that adrenaline rush combat to it. I need to go scavenging as I'm out of fire arrows which is why I died. Playing on very hard difficulty. Wasn't brave enough for ultra hard.

I hate Glint Hawks. Stumbled on a mission and had to kill four of them. I had hardly any ammo left, just 3 rope casts and about 40 fire arrows, 10 precision arrows and 5 tear arrows. Don't know how I managed to complete it but I did. The last one I lobbed shock bombs at it and did critical strikes when it fell, it worked. I've read people hate ravengers but I've taken down a few of them without dying. I saw another flying machine, I'd say it'll be tough. Played all day today, snow is good for something!

Right so... F**k glinthawks. I'm on a mission now that I'm finding stressful rather than "challenging but enjoyable". I've to take down about 7 of the things in an open area (the Palace) so no temporary cover. Yer man on the ground just keeps saying "those majestic murderous glinthawks" and one or two other things over and over again and he's doing my head in. I must be either half way or more through the main campaign and have done it on very hard. I refuse to lower the difficulty for this mission but I don't know how I'm gonna get by it. Annoying bastarding enemies. Rant over.

Edit 7 hours later: Killed the bastards. Definitely most annoying machines in the game.

Right so... F**k glinthawks. I'm on a mission now that I'm finding stressful rather than "challenging but enjoyable". I've to take down about 7 of the things in an open area (the Palace) so no temporary cover. Yer man on the ground just keeps saying "those majestic murderous glinthawks" and one or two other things over and over again and he's doing my head in. I must be either half way or more through the main campaign and have done it on very hard. I refuse to lower the difficulty for this mission but I don't know how I'm gonna get by it. Annoying bastarding enemies. Rant over.

Edit 7 hours later: Killed the bastards. Definitely most annoying machines in the game.

Wait until you hit the Stormbirds. Bastards.

Anyway, for Glinthawks, use tearblast arrows on their freeze sac. And if you're finding yourself overwhelmed by numbers, the ropecaster can help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Don't remember what difficulty I played on or how many difficulty levels there were. Doubt I was on the hardest and certainly not on the easiest but glinthawks while annoying were never a major problem (God now I think of it they were annoying) fire arrows and lots of them actual fire arrows not just shoot arrows, fire fire arrows at them.

Advertisement