Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Yep, how I killed them in the end was to go out farming for health flowers and blaze canisters. When I started the quest initially I only had 12 fire arrows (no tear blast ones). Once I farmed enough to have a full bow of 50 I got em as soon as I restarted the quest. They wouldn't be as annoying if they stayed still for a few seconds.

Not looking forward to the Storm bird lol. Did see one on the distance when I crossed the border the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I used to wonder why I was carrying the rope caster around all over the place then the Storm Bird happened and it all made sense....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

That's the issue with the harder difficulties, resource quantity, you find less, use more and stuff is more expensive. I think the machines are a little more sensitive to your location and maybe a bit more aggressive but they really didn't seem any more difficult to fight on harder modes.

Glinthawk difficulty is the numbers so don't worry about the bigger guy.

Damn, I miss playing this game. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Damn, I miss playing this game. :D

They said they were going to make a major new franchise out of it so hopefully some news on that soon, I often listen to the main theme on my headphones when out and about, one of my all time favourite games, absolutely loved the lore in it which I usually treat as background noise in other games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I almost bought a PS4 this week so I could play this (and TLOU 2 when it comes out). It just looks incredible and it's the sort of open world RPG that I dig. I think I'll have succumbed to the temptation before the year is out...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Not once have I used a Ropecaster. Running through Frozen Wilds now and I still don't feel the need to use it. Have only ever used the 2 Bows, Trip Wires, and the Bombs. Just make sure, when your aiming your arrow (stack 3 in the bow too) to slow time. Makes it much easier to hit the individual breakables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Not once have I used a Ropecaster. Running through Frozen Wilds now and I still don't feel the need to use it. Have only ever used the 2 Bows, Trip Wires, and the Bombs. Just make sure, when your aiming your arrow (stack 3 in the bow too) to slow time. Makes it much easier to hit the individual breakables.

+1 on all of the above. Never used a ropecaster once in the 70 hours plus of gaming.

I'd be the opposite, very rarely use the tripcaster but always have the ropecaster equipped. Love the catapults, such a joy to lob them in.

I might load this up on the PS Pro and go for a ropecaster only run. I need the damn platinum I screwed it up on my first play through.

• Advertisement

Actually, when I first started this mission I was aiming right at the glinthawks weak point and my arrows were going to the sides, over, under. Anywhere but where I was aiming. I was raging so bad. First rage quit in this game. Slept on it, woke, had coffee and started it up before work and after the farming they were gone. Weird about the arrows though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My usual tactics:

Ropecaster for flying machines (Glinthawks, Stormbirds)
    Tripcaster for larger machines (Thunderjaws, Rockbreakers, Behemoths)

Sometimes use Ropecaster on larger machines to give myself time to lay down a bunch of tripwires at the same spot and then lure the machine into them for huge damage.

So I'd usually have two bows equipped left & right (damage & elemental), Tripcaster and Ropecaster up and down, and then I'd swap either the trip or ropecaster out for bomb slings when needs be.

dudeeile wrote: »
    I'd be the opposite, very rarely use the tripcaster but always have the ropecaster equipped. Love the catapults, such a joy to lob them in.

Tripcaster is great though. Just highlight the path the Machine is taking, throw down as many as you can before it gets back to that point, BOOOM, they ded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

This is next on my list, should be starting it next week. Looking forward to it!

Actually, when I first started this mission I was aiming right at the glinthawks weak point and my arrows were going to the sides, over, under. Anywhere but where I was aiming. I was raging so bad. First rage quit in this game. Slept on it, woke, had coffee and started it up before work and after the farming they were gone. Weird about the arrows though.

I have this on loads of games. Doom's a good example. Got really frustrated on one of the challenges failed it over and over. Uninstalled game, came back to it months later and did it first go. Currently uninstalled as I got stuck on the Hell Hounds boss battle, which isn't event that hard.

Tripcaster is great though. Just highlight the path the Machine is taking, throw down as many as you can before it gets back to that point, BOOOM, they ded.

I get that but I just thought it took away from the actual fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I have this on loads of games. Doom's a good example. Got really frustrated on one of the challenges failed it over and over. Uninstalled game, came back to it months later and did it first go

I had this same thing with the Whizpig Boss race in Diddy Kong Racing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Just completed this.

Really enjoyable, I put a lot of hours into it, I was never bored playing and did a lot of side quests which I tend to neglect in these type of games.

Looked and felt great for the most part, very dark in caves and cauldrons which i found disorientating and some of the outfits and dialogue were kinda goofy but didn't take much away from it.

Thought it was challenging up until you get the shield weaver outfit, then it becomes a stroll, although I don't think I would of completed the last few stages without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I’m only playing this now myself but also loving it.

I think it’s just right accessibility wise, whereas I found the Witcher 3 quite awkward and unfriendly. Obviously BoTW is the king but this is a joy. Story seems a bit nonsense, ordin ardin Saba Jaba whatever, but the gameplay is fantastic fun.

I’m only playing this now myself but also loving it.

I think it’s just right accessibility wise, whereas I found the Witcher 3 quite awkward and unfriendly. Obviously BoTW is the king but this is a joy. Story seems a bit nonsense, ordin ardin Saba Jaba whatever, but the gameplay is fantastic fun.

Personally, I LOVED the story. Then again, I love anything with a post apocalyptic slant to it. I don't know what their plans are going forward, I believe Frozen Wilds is the only expansion to this. The world is ripe for more, be it another expansion or full blown sequel (hopefully the latter, but would be happy with expansion).

• Advertisement

Personally, I LOVED the story. Then again, I love anything with a post apocalyptic slant to it. I don't know what their plans are going forward, I believe Frozen Wilds is the only expansion to this. The world is ripe for more, be it another expansion or full blown sequel (hopefully the latter, but would be happy with expansion).

They've said The Frozen Wilds will be the only expansion. They've fully moved on to the sequel now.

I loved the story too. To be honest I wasn't expecting anything huge out of it, but it was a hell of a lot deeper than I thought it would be, and even though the story is very simplistic on the face of it, all the collectible data logs and audio logs etc really expand the whole thing a huge amount. As simplistic as the story is, it certainly doesn't detract from the game.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I loved the setting and the overall story. Thought Aloy was as generic as they come though, just a rehash of the same kick ass heroine with a bow and arrow we've seen many times across different media over the last decade but the world building and back story about Zero Dawn was a pretty compelling concept I thought and kept me well invested in the story.

Not often I actually want to listen to audio logs in a game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I recently went back to this after stopping some point last year. I just platinum'ed it (only the 2nd time I've done that with a ps after Bloodborne) which to me means I must have enjoyed it! Currently on the DLC now. My previous strategy of just setting everything on fire works less well here..

In addition to Glinthawks being annoying I've just discovered they're scavengers as well. Took out loads of Chargers, 2 Sawtooths, a Fire Bellowback and a Freeze Bellowback. Started picking up health flowers and when I returned 4 Glinthawks were picking at the machines above. Killed them but didn't get any machine components from the above mentioned machines which I needed to craft arrows! Feckers! My hatred of the Glinthawk just keeps growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I just ordered it yesterday, after hearing and reading good things about it for ages !! I ordered without the expansion pack , how much is it if I do want to get it afterwards ?

Not sure how much tbh but I'd say about €20. Sure buy it when it's on sale. When I got it the complete edition was cheaper than the standard edition. €45 complete but €65 standard.

In addition to Glinthawks being annoying I've just discovered they're scavengers as well. Took out loads of Chargers, 2 Sawtooths, a Fire Bellowback and a Freeze Bellowback. Started picking up health flowers and when I returned 4 Glinthawks were picking at the machines above. Killed them but didn't get any machine components from the above mentioned machines which I needed to craft arrows! Feckers! My hatred of the Glinthawk just keeps growing.

Yeah. One of the Lodge challenges involves getting to machine components before Glinthawks can steal them. Bastards...

Some of those lodge challenges were rage inducing

I haven't bothered with lodge challenges. Doing nearly all the other side quests and errands though. Don't know how I didn't cop that with the hawks before. Suppose they're the machine variant of vultures.

• Advertisement

There was a reason I did them. Don't they give up shiny new weapons? Did them all but never got around to platinuming this. Keeps saying I should get this done. Missing one around the all allies trophy. I think.

Advertisement